crazy vintage shiz

Feb. 18, 2014, 10:56 p.m.

1995 Brodie Sovereign that I just picked up for my wife

sweet score. i've had three: the first was stolen from my parents' shed when i lived with them, and was replaced via insurance money with a chromag samurai; the second i was given by a friend but it ended up being too small for me and to big for my wife; the third i picked up from a recovering addict in maple ridge, built up with gatorblades and lots of fun vintage parts i'd been hording (suntour xc pro, ck hubs, sunset ano rims, xtr 900 cranks, etc) but finally sold after deciding i looked silly commuting on 26" wheels :stupid:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 18, 2014, 11:44 p.m.

Thanks. I paid $300 which seemed like a good deal as the frame is in great condition and the Mag21 fork has the Brodie brace, plus the bike has a few other nice bits.

You sure it is a Sovereign? The shape seems odd - the top tube is too slanted. What size is the frame?

Here is a 95 Sovereign - and mine is a 92 and shaped similar:

http://www.brodiebikes.com/blog/?p=2108

Feb. 19, 2014, 7:06 a.m.

You sure it is a Sovereign? The shape seems odd - the top tube is too slanted. What size is the frame?

Here is a 95 Sovereign - and mine is a 92 and shaped similar:

http://www.brodiebikes.com/blog/?p=2108

Yep. The previous owner was given it(!) by someone who I guess didn't know was and didn't want to pay for repairs after sticking the rear derailleur into the spokes. The guy I bought it from put up a thread on Retrobike asking for details before rebuilding the bike, and ultimately selling it as it was way too small. It's a 14" frame and he's 6'2"!

The only difference between mine and the one on the Brodie website is that mine (or I should say…..my wifes…ahem….) has nicer sculpted cable guides like this 1996 one:

Although I've just noticed that mine has the earlier rear brake cable guide around the seat tube. God knows! I think I'll just leave it out for the bums :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 25, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

boom chica wah wahn

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 25, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/penticton/gary-fisher/559419120?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Feb. 26, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

boom chica wah wahn

That frame might have built by Levoy (sp?) up in Whistler.

What ever happened to him, is he building frames somewhere else, or did he get out of the bike business?

Feb. 26, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

maurice lavoie , craig . . .

he's working in a shop ( his own ) up in the pemberton industrial park this side of mt. currie . i think he does standard run of the mill welding and some custom projects that (a) apppeal to him , and (b) pay enough to make it worth the trouble .

think he figured out pretty quick there ain't a lot of money in Ti bike frames unless you are willing to go all in .

that could be one of his frames , but it doesn't look like anything i remember coming out of his shop , altho i know he did build for other brands .

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:48 p.m.

I think he built the earlier ones as far as I can tell. I bumped into him at the dirt jumps in Whistler back in 2007 and he had an old school Ti bike with him. I made a comment about it and he mentioned that he welded it, and made the early GT Ti frames.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 26, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

when i did my machinist apprenticeship in the early 90,s one of the guys in one of the classes was a former welder/worker with Lavoie . they did a bunch of ti bar/stem combos as well , he showed a pair on a bike at Bcit , also mentioned they where working out of a tent in Whistler area in the early days .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 27, 2014, 11:20 a.m.

maurice lavoie , craig . . .

he's working in a shop ( his own ) up in the pemberton industrial park this side of mt. currie . i think he does standard run of the mill welding and some custom projects that (a) apppeal to him , and (b) pay enough to make it worth the trouble .

think he figured out pretty quick there ain't a lot of money in Ti bike frames unless you are willing to go all in .

that could be one of his frames , but it doesn't look like anything i remember coming out of his shop , altho i know he did build for other brands .

Thanks for the info (and correct spelling), I know he built them for GT as I visited his shop in the early 90s. At the time I was riding the steel version of that frame, the GT Avalanche.

Feb. 28, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

Spotted this on Pinkbike. Circa 1992?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1422709/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 28, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

they were built '90-92, yeah. shame it's missing the syncros fork.

March 1, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

My first post back after about a 3 year absence, and its in the vintage forum.

Brand new never used 1990 Marin Palisades Trail. I spent a few days deciding on whether or not I just keep it stock, hung up in the garage, or, change some of the parts and turn it into a usable klunker/shit bike. I chose the latter.

Barely used 1984 Bianchi Limited Canadian spec. Sat in a box for about the first 11 years. I sold it because it was too big. Such a nice bike though.

March 6, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

Hmmm flexi titanium
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/throwback-thursday-1992-specialized-s-works-epic-ultimate-40214/

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 6, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

i've got an s-works ultimate frame hanging in the shop that picked up for cheap. merlin ti lugs bonded to carbon tubes; pretty trick for the time. about 3.5lbs for the size huge frame i've got. thought about turning it into some form of minimalist coffee cruiser at some point; need to gather more bits.