crazy vintage shiz

June 10, 2013, 8:10 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2757610]Now here is some truly vintage shiz, from my personal collection. Took several years to assemble, powdercoating by Cowboy, decals from Brodie, NOS shimano from Craigslist. My coffee and beer runs just got better.
Still can't figure out how to get pictures to embed in my message. Interweb noob

That is a killer bike!!!!!!!!!! So Jealous.

The one thing I will never get is why the old bikes had canti's on the front and U brakes in the rear. Can someone please fill me in on why this was done?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

June 10, 2013, 8:34 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2757610]Now here is some truly vintage shiz, from my personal collection. Took several years to assemble, powdercoating by Cowboy, decals from Brodie, NOS shimano from Craigslist. My coffee and beer runs just got better.

[ATTACH]9178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9180[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9181[/ATTACH]

Still can't figure out how to get pictures to embed in my message. Interweb noob

Sweet Brodie! I think I may have a threaded Syncros straight stem laying around.

June 10, 2013, 9:08 p.m.

The one thing I will never get is why the old bikes had canti's on the front and U brakes in the rear. Can someone please fill me in on why this was done?

because sweet skids

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 10, 2013, 9:23 p.m.

I'm guessing because the U2s clamped up too fast, while cantis gave superior modulation- albeit with weaker total power. There were some Brodies made with U-brakes front and rear. Haven't seen one in years though.
It was an age of innovation, and learning from mistakes.

June 11, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

[ATTACH]9178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9180[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9181[/ATTACH]

very nice!

June 11, 2013, 11:03 a.m.

sweet build, indeed, ck.

the rear u brake application was, i'm guessing, for better clearance (narrower, less likely to snag body parts than the relatively wide cantis of the day). remember the plethora of mud-clogged under chainstay u brake frames? some odd fashion phases we went through. elevated chainstays that were supposed to alleviate chainsuck issues…

June 11, 2013, 4:02 p.m.

'cause seat stays are flexier than forks and u-brakes counter-act those forces somewhat.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 12, 2013, 12:18 a.m.

elevated chainstays that were supposed to alleviate chainsuck issues…

speaking of which

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 18, 2013, 7:35 a.m.

Mmmmmm Brodie

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bik/3878122164.html

June 22, 2013, 10:06 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1357112/

June 23, 2013, 6:22 p.m.

Want.

Jon-boy.

June 23, 2013, 6:57 p.m.

That is a killer bike!!!!!!!!!! So Jealous.

Paul is a friend of mine i sent him a image and asked him about the use of the U brake i,ll post his response

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 23, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1357112/

Wow I had a vertex TO that looked exactly like that. Such a sick bike.

June 23, 2013, 9:01 p.m.

Paul is a friend of mine i sent him a image and asked him about the use of the U brake i,ll post his response

Actually it was strange to have a u brake on the rear seatstay. What was really common was to have a ubrake under the chain stay. Because of that location the brake had to be narrow to fit under the chain stay right behind the bb. Some people ended up putting them on seatstay a as well.

Note the under chain stay location was awful. Mud collection and wheel bind would occur.

June 24, 2013, 5:25 a.m.

Actually it was strange to have a u brake on the rear seatstay. What was really common was to have a ubrake under the chain stay. Because of that location the brake had to be narrow to fit under the chain stay right behind the bb. Some people ended up putting them on seatstay a as well.

Note the under chain stay location was awful. Mud collection and wheel bind would occur.

ya i have seen them on the lower stays , Paul,s response was looks to be a late 80,s era frame , and at that time Canti brakes where just hitting the market and customers had the option of ordering the frames with either brake design mounts , so basically for some it was personal preference on what design was used

#northsidetrailbuilders