crazy vintage shiz

June 23, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

check it out: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bik/2393407629.html

my 16 year old self just caught some wood

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 23, 2011, 10:52 p.m.

well , interesting , but . . . 5 g ?

perhaps one day that bike might fetch that kind of money as a nice vintage example from a high end " niche " builder , but today . . .

there is some stuff on there that doesn't jibe , for example , those pedals and cranks show a lot more than 5 hours ride time . for 5 g everything has to be all original , and all correct .

June 23, 2011, 10:57 p.m.

for 5 g everything has to be all original , and all correct .

Agree, seller needs to strip it down to frame/fork/bars and sell it to someone in Germany. Will fetch a good price, but nothing close to 5 grand.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 23, 2011, 11 p.m.

I really wanted one of those back in the day!

June 23, 2011, 11:24 p.m.

Anyone know if that's Jesse's?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

June 23, 2011, 11:27 p.m.

Back in the day I wanted one of those soooooo bad.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

June 23, 2011, 11:32 p.m.

totally brings me back to reading Mountain Bike and Zap's editorials.

Check my stuff for sale!

June 23, 2011, 11:41 p.m.

wah wah wah

Agree, wah wah

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 24, 2011, 7:21 a.m.

i didn't know they made XTR cantilevers :lol: nice ride, not worth the $5k imo

June 24, 2011, 8:42 a.m.

Those XTR canti's were the best at the time. If that frame isn't cracked than it hasn't been ridden much. My experience with Klein is that they were designed to look good on a roof rack. Broke two in 8 months. POS.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 24, 2011, 8:43 a.m.

i didn't know they made XTR cantilevers :lol: nice ride, not worth the $5k imo

mmm they did. i have a set around somewhere: satin finish, understated loveliness; very little stopping power, unfortunately

June 24, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

its really fun searching for craigslist for 'vintage' bikes. the term attracts a pretty wide variety of bikes.

boom, why dont you use your craigslist prowess to find me a roadie i can convert into a single speed thats less than 800 dollars.. (rant: damn hipsters jacking up the prices /end rant)

June 24, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

totally brings me back to reading Mountain Bike and Zap's editorials.

I liked Mike Ferrentino and the grimy handshake in Bike, reading it over and over. the result was I was the only kid in highschool racing xc on my rigid Cindercone in a baggy jersey. Kleins' to me were what I saw hanging on Jerry Sienfelds wall.

If any one wants a Cook Bros BB I have one to give.

June 24, 2011, 10:06 a.m.

hey , i never said " hate " , and i never said " wah , wah , wah " :lol:

i totally appreciate that bike for what it actually is , but when the seller is asking top dollar and says " mint " , knowledgeable prospective buyers expect to see the product with all original , all correct componentry in either as new condition , or restored to as near new as possible .

like 'fart said though , that maker had known issues , so hopefully anyone interested will give the bike a good inspection before entering into negotiations , but if it truly has only 5 hours ( ! ) of riding on it , it should be solid .

thanks for posting the ad , though , i like seeing this old stuff come up . shows the growth of the sport and the equipment . it does make you realize just how young the sport is . i appreciate the guys who have hung onto their old equipment and taken care of it like a good investment .

hopefully the seller will find a buyer and they can agree on a fair price , and he can take pride in owning it and take care of it like the original owner did .

June 24, 2011, 10:50 a.m.

If any one wants a Cook Bros BB I have one to give.

I have a set of black Cook Bros cranks. A matching BB would be awesome.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-