Crazy Pills

Feb. 21, 2017, 9:06 a.m.

Frame material difference? Is the Tues more comparable to the C line of SC bikes or the CC line?

That's the only question I have. Then I think of Lacondeguy and Gwinn and think it's got to be pretty fucking good.

Then I come back to my feeling that the major bike companies got a little soft.

Feb. 21, 2017, 9:57 a.m.

I agree that Santa Cruz is definitely taking some crazy pills to be pricing their bikes that high! I bet you could find a decent used luxury sports car for the same price.

I would love to see their sales numbers on stuff like that. Like how many people can really afford a $14k CAD DH bike? There are only so many trust fund kids and dentists that ride DH… And even for them, why would they pay $14k when they can get a closely spec'd bike from another brand for half the price (as the OP has pointed out).

Doesn't make sense to me…

Feb. 21, 2017, 10:04 a.m.

$10,000++ bikes, $1500++ wheels, $400++ cassettes…at least the industry has driven me back to simpler bikes like hardtails that I ride for longer and am able use older/cheaper parts and to caring a whole lot less about what they're doing. I love mountain biking, but I have to say the industry has really made me dislike the gear race more and more every year…marginal improvements at much higher prices. not saying there isn't some decent tech at decent price points out there, but overall I'm just pretty burnt out on almost the entire industry. But it's allowed me to focus on the things that actually matter in mountain biking, like working with like minded folks in creating badass trail networks.

Feb. 21, 2017, 10:07 a.m.

Quit thinking that SC bikes are still welded by SAPA in OR and that they're owned by a massive investment company.

Are the M90s built on King's or 240s or I9?

The Tues Pro is $5799 CDN.
https://ca.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1320/sCategory/436
Going to be difficult to touch that price. I had good experience with the Guide brakes on the Slash 9.9 I demo'ed. Even not wanting to gamble on SRAM brakes a swap to Saints would be under 6gs.
I'd install pedals and maybe TLD ODIs and ride.
How much is a 40 FLOAT cartridge? :lol:

A Glory Advanced 0 and Reign or Trance is probably close to the same price as the V10CC isn't it?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 21, 2017, 11:29 a.m.

A Glory Advanced 0 is probably close to the same price as the V10CC isn't it?

$7,299C vs $13,950C in the OP. That's a big difference. Still crazy for a bicycle though.

Feb. 21, 2017, 11:31 a.m.

What is it that I'm missing here.

I came across the V10CC on Dunbar's website last night while looking for some parts and laughed out loud. $14k for a DH bike. I understand SC cannot sell bikes for what YT can for various reasons (and survive as a company), but the premium is simply laughable. Even if you remove the ENVE wheels it's 50% more. Besides, the TUES has carbon E13 wheels so it doesn't even make sense to compare non-ENVE V10CC.

I'm in the market for a new trail bike and am pretty much down to the Giant Trance Advanced 1 or the YT Jeffsy 27. Both are $5k CAD and offer compelling value at that price point. Tried looking at Devinci, Norco and a few others but it's not even close, either they want 20-30% more money or there are annoying shortcuts on spec to keep the price down.

Is anyone besides YT and Giant offering this kind of value in Canada this season?

I also realize how insane it is to type the words "compelling value" about a $5k bicycle but here we are.

Feb. 21, 2017, 11:38 a.m.

That's a lot of jake that's for sure. Just about all equipment intensive sports go this way. Ultimately the incremental improvements are so small and so costly that it's not easy to justify costs. I hear you on the hardtail flip. A person has to ask themselves what they really want from their sport. If what you want in a mountain bike ride is to ride just in control and scare yourself a bit now and then, hardtail does all that but on less risky trails at less risky speeds. It's like the answer to this question: What's faster, a big s class Mercedes going 140 kph or one of those shit box 3 cylinder Suzuki cars at 140 kph? (If you could get it to 140).

If the goal is to race then maybe expensive stuff is worthwhile. If you just wanna ride, I dunno. I want good components because I realize the value of stuff that works well for longer periods of time.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 21, 2017, 11:40 a.m.

I know it's only a micra but an entire car for MUCH cheaper! Just shows how out of whack the bike prices have gotten…

Feb. 21, 2017, 11:41 a.m.

Is anyone besides YT and Giant offering this kind of value in Canada this season?

I also realize how insane it is to type the words "compelling value" about a $5k bicycle but here we are.

commencal has several nice sub 5k builds (based on 3 iterations of the meta; the 3's [HTML_REMOVED] 4's are all sub 4k).

Feb. 21, 2017, 12:13 p.m.

That's a lot of jake that's for sure. Just about all equipment intensive sports go this way. Ultimately the incremental improvements are so small and so costly that it's not easy to justify costs. I hear you on the hardtail flip. A person has to ask themselves what they really want from their sport. If what you want in a mountain bike ride is to ride just in control and scare yourself a bit now and then, hardtail does all that but on less risky trails at less risky speeds. It's like the answer to this question: What's faster, a big s class Mercedes going 140 kph or one of those shit box 3 cylinder Suzuki cars at 140 kph? (If you could get it to 140).

The example I highlighted is more along the lines of a 760Li costing $85,000 and an S600 costing $170,000.

Feb. 21, 2017, 12:18 p.m.

That V10 price is MSRP, so I'm guessing that a shop could move on that a fair bit (percentage margin means more to play with at $14k than $7k), whereas the YT price is set in stone. Could that impact things? Lets not get into the intangibles that an LBS brings, just overall price to price comparison.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 21, 2017, 12:22 p.m.

I came across the V10CC on Dunbar's website last night while looking for some parts and laughed out loud. $14k for a DH bike. I understand SC cannot sell bikes for what YT can for various reasons (and survive as a company), but the premium is simply laughable. Even if you remove the ENVE wheels it's 50% more. Besides, the TUES has carbon E13 wheels so it doesn't even make sense to compare non-ENVE V10CC.

I'm in the market for a new trail bike and am pretty much down to the Giant Trance Advanced 1 or the YT Jeffsy 27. Both are $5k CAD and offer compelling value at that price point. Tried looking at Devinci, Norco and a few others but it's not even close, either they want 20-30% more money or there are annoying shortcuts on spec to keep the price down.

im in the same position…looking at a new trail bike for around 4k canadian…best ive found is the Giant Trance Advanced 2…carbon frame and wheels and okay spec for $4300…then i think i want a bronson and see a full aluminum frame, Fox Rhythm fork and no dropper for $4000.. Like you said Norco and Specialized cant seem to keep up with Giants competitive pricing…not to mention the other brands (besides YT)

Feb. 21, 2017, 12:45 p.m.

$7,299C vs $13,950C in the OP. That's a big difference. Still crazy for a bicycle though.

That isn't what I said.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 21, 2017, 1:11 p.m.

Maybe that's why SC has a $14k model for sale… to trick us into thinking that $5k bikes are a smoking deal.

Feb. 21, 2017, 1:28 p.m.

Anyone considering dropping the coin on the SC must be a loon. How can you justify it? Unless you are a privateer racer who's close to riding WC races that bike won't make you any faster than the guy in the line that just picked up the top line YT.