Crappy Gloves

July 10, 2004, 8:41 p.m.

I have a pair of mace gloves that I got on sale for $30. They problem is, they have no padding in the palm. Whats happening now, is that after a decent ride (like 1 1/2 hours +) the tips of my pinky and ring finger go numb. I am assuming that this is because of the ulner nerve that runs through the palm of my hand. So now, I need to get another pair of gloves and not pay too much because i just spend $30 on these stupid mace ones. I guess the main thing that I want is a low price, and adequete padding in the palm. What are my options? Maybe MEC has some good ones? Any other suggestions?

Derek

:canada: :woot:

July 10, 2004, 10:02 p.m.

sounds like u need to ride more and get thoughs hands into shape…ahahha………..i ride mechaics gloves for liek working on cars and they have no padding and i love then and they last soo long!

July 10, 2004, 10:04 p.m.

I have to go check out these gloves for myself.

How could they make a biking glove without padding in the palm? How do they expect riders to hold onto the handlebars-with their pinkies?

If you're going to chuck them, I'd drop them in an envelope with an intelligent letter explaining why the design is defective and unsuitable for a biking glove. Send it off to Norco. You might be surprised.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 10, 2004, 10:36 p.m.

i wonder how bmxers can stand riding for so long then :rolleyes:
seriously you must have weird hands buddy, no offence
my gloves dont have padding and my hands are fine after rides, street, shore, wahtever

July 10, 2004, 11:40 p.m.

if u have a problem with your Ulnar nerve when u rie (which i do aswell)… look into the Specialized "body Geo" gloves….

they arent cheap but they sure do a good job of keeping your hands fresh….

i run these ones right now, and im super happy with em…

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=5184[HTML_REMOVED]JServSessionIdroot=21xbgm6n1b.j27001

July 11, 2004, 7:17 a.m.

Derek, sounds like you need to get out from behind the desk and tough up those baby palms. :D

IFO-Those gloves look sweet, I am almost afraid to ask what they cost. Seeing as I am one cheap SOB I wil be going to MEC for my next pair. I hope MEC makes their gloves in "meat hook" size

July 11, 2004, 7:47 a.m.

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
seriously you must have weird hands buddy, no offence
my gloves dont have padding and my hands are fine after rides, street, shore, wahtever

I've heard that it's actually a fairly common problem. It probably has something to do with switching to riding trials and using a rigid fork. I'm sure if I had 5-8 inches of suspension underneath my bars, there wouldn't be a problem. But even so, I don't have time to "toughen up" my hands. I'm sure that this problem will continue to occur regardless of how much i ride. Since I play guitar, I need those 2 fingers most of the time a couple of hours after a ride to play a gig. So new gloves are probably the best option, and I need to know what kind! (those specialized gloves look good, but pricey!)

Derek

:canada: :woot:

July 11, 2004, 9:40 a.m.

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum

I really have no idea nor is it relevant to the question.:rolleyes:

He obviously needs some padding. Personally, I would not buy a mountain biking glove without palm padding, nor would I recommend one to a friend.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 11, 2004, 2:15 p.m.

yeah the Forrtress gloves are around 80$…

not cheap but well designed…

;)

July 11, 2004, 6:46 p.m.

i have the same gloves and same thing happens to me

it doesnt in any way mean your hands are weak, it means the frekin gloves have like a mm of fabric between your hand the your grip, it sucks, expecally when you fall and land on your hands like i do

most gloves have SOME padding on the palms, these have absoloutly none

July 11, 2004, 6:49 p.m.

suck it up..i hardley wear gloves and when i rarely do they are full of holes and have zero padding:rolleyes: for a cheap pair though, i would look into those mec or the fox digit

July 11, 2004, 6:59 p.m.

yea i bought the fortress too it ended up costing me 115 after taxes but they are sweet.
but i felt the sizings are all out of wack the xl is the only one long enough for my fingers but is really loose in the wrist but they still feel great definatly good for beating on groms at teh dirt park ;)

"Oh my gawd did u just see him crush that lip"

July 11, 2004, 7:19 p.m.

sorry i was in a bad mood when i posted :)
im not any more :cool:

have you ever tried a mtb glove with no padding? i like it a lot better than other gloves i have tried that have padding. just feels better, like i have a better grip on the bars and stuff. no pain either :???:

July 11, 2004, 7:28 p.m.

i just dont ride with gloves, i happend to lose one (yeah, just one) glove a while ago, and i havent got around to getting a new set. yeah, they offer some serious protection, but i just like no gloves. it may sound stupid, but its the same reason why i like really thin grips… i can "feel" the bike better… im probably gonna go bust up my hands now, but oh well. i have some sick calluses to boot too :cool: ahha.

I. M. :canada:
"I wrestle warthogs for nickels"

July 11, 2004, 8:21 p.m.

the specialized offers special grips too….:???: