Crank specs

May 6, 2019, 3:28 p.m.

The threads on my sons Next SL cranks are worn on the pedal side. They've had a tendency to loosen and I guess hes been riding them loose - so theres play between the threads and the pedal within the crank - its not bushings within the pedal. Both sides. Theyre probably cooked although I may try a helicoil repair kit.

There are so many crank specs - how the hell do I know what spec he needs? 2018 Knolly Endorphin with a 73mm treaded BB - GX build if that means anything.

My preference is to replace with trusty cheap XT, but the specs around the BB are driving me crazy......length is of course fine but BB is driving me nuts

Last edited by: Ddean on May 6, 2019, 4:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2019, 9:49 p.m.

I'm not an expert but it's pretty easy to match bb's with cranks as there are lots of mfgr's out there. I'd be more concerned about bb type for the frame vs crank/bb interface. Start with figuring out your current bb and go from there.

May 7, 2019, 8:47 a.m.

did you try some good loctite ?

May 7, 2019, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

There are so many crank specs - how the hell do I know what spec he needs? 2018 Knolly Endorphin with a 73mm treaded BB - GX build if that means anything.

My preference is to replace with trusty cheap XT, but the specs around the BB are driving me crazy......length is of course fine but BB is driving me nuts

You need to pull the 30mm Race Face threaded bb out of the bike.

You need to install a 24mm threaded bb in order to fit any proper Shimano crankset. Shimano's bb is relatively cheap and durable.

May 7, 2019, 7:39 p.m.

Can you warranty the carbon cranks? I only run 165mm cranks and have had to replace the stock cranks on all my new bikes. I've had good luck with Shimano XT and Race Face Aeffect cranks. Both relatively cheap and come in 24mm. Race Face has a chart for crank/bb compatability: https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank_Q-factors_and_chainlines.pdf.

May 7, 2019, 8:46 p.m.

I keep wait for DM shimano 83mm cranks. Sadly I shall wait some more.

May 8, 2019, 3:50 p.m.

This is why the local bike shop will always be around (or good ones at least). 

If you can't figure it out then you should be taking it to your fav shop.

May 8, 2019, 6 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

This is why the local bike shop will always be around (or good ones at least). 

If you can't figure it out then you should be taking it to your fav shop.

Emphasis on 'good ones'.  I went into a shop trying to confirm a crank/BB question slightly more complex than this and was given nothing but misinformation.