crank set

July 12, 2003, 6:39 p.m.

ok, im having a really hard time choosing what cranks to get. i have it down to four main choices (they are all chromoly…haro 3-piece, azonic 3-piece, kona buldge 3-piece, and kona buldge isis. they are all gonna cost around the same price-range, so i pretty much just have to decide. i know there are others, but these are the easiest to get up here…and they should be fine sets anyway. what is your opinion on the 3-piece verses isis? is one stronger or anything? can both systems hold chainguides (using the spyder on the 3-piece models)? as far as i can tell they are all good. please give me some suggestions. thanks.

K-DAWG
Stop me if I say "Watch this!" or "I'm gonna try something!" or "One last time…"

-Member Since September 2001-

July 12, 2003, 7:11 p.m.

How much are they going to cost you?

You could go to www.danscomp.com and get some Profile's and a Euro BB. I paid $180US for my profile's when I had the BMX bike. A Euro BB shouldn't cost much more than that.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 12, 2003, 9:28 p.m.

why not RaceFAce NSDH's ???

just curious….

if your set on 3peice cromo's i'd give the nod to the Azonic cranks…

July 12, 2003, 9:49 p.m.

I would really try the konas, because u can run any isis bb and the spider will fit any chainguide

July 12, 2003, 9:58 p.m.

i have a set of the azonics and really like them, i think they are a great value, i like them more than my profiles i have on my other bike. That is what i suggest, there is just something about profiles euro bottom bracket, the way the bearings are aranged is just stupid. dont get them, not worth the extra money.

July 12, 2003, 10:03 p.m.

I might decide on a set of Chromo cranks, just so I can do pedal and crank slides :)

July 12, 2003, 11:10 p.m.

you're leaving out the option of BMX bottom Bracket or not…..If you have a BMX BB then you can run fewer guide options. Unless you run a Euro BB with cups. If you run a Euro BB you can run almost any BMX cranks, that is only if you get a primo conversion kit which converts a BMX BB into a Euro BB or if you you Run profile cranks with a euro bb. I'd say in general BMX splined is stronger than Isis just beacuse of the Shear amount of splines in a BMX BB axle…3 piece and Isis are the same thing because there are 3 pieces in the assembly……bottom bracket and 2 cranks. the only thing that limits the option of guides is the Bottom Bracket. You're better off running a Euro bottombracket because it saves weight and the option for more guides is open…I'd say profile is your best bet because the assembly should include a spider, 2 cranks, and bottom bracket. They are also strongest interms of weight to strength ratio…..If u don't have the money for that I'd say Kona Bulge or Azonic are your best bet.

MSN me at: [email protected]
www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

July 13, 2003, 1:49 a.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
**How much are they going to cost you?

You could go to www.danscomp.com and get some Profile's and a Euro BB. I paid $180US for my profile's when I had the BMX bike. A Euro BB shouldn't cost much more than that. **

all of those seem to come out to $200 - $250 us once i get the bb, crank arms, chainring (if needed) etc.

Originally posted by IFO
why not RaceFAce NSDH's ???
just curious….

I talked to a guy with the kona isis and he said that they were much stiffer than the raceface ns cranks

Originally posted by bullit_kid
I would really try the konas, because u can run any isis bb and the spider will fit any chainguide

as far as i can tell the kona isis have no spider. maybe i'm wrong, but i thought that only the 3-piece has the spider…?

K-DAWG
Stop me if I say "Watch this!" or "I'm gonna try something!" or "One last time…"

July 13, 2003, 1:56 a.m.

Originally posted by DangerBoy
you're leaving out the option of BMX bottom Bracket or not…..If you have a BMX BB then you can run fewer guide options. Unless you run a Euro BB with cups. If you run a Euro BB you can run almost any BMX cranks, that is only if you get a primo conversion kit which converts a BMX BB into a Euro BB or if you you Run profile cranks with a euro bb. I'd say in general BMX splined is stronger than Isis just beacuse of the Shear amount of splines in a BMX BB axle…3 piece and Isis are the same thing because there are 3 pieces in the assembly……bottom bracket and 2 cranks. the only thing that limits the option of guides is the Bottom Bracket. You're better off running a Euro bottombracket because it saves weight and the option for more guides is open…I'd say profile is your best bet because the assembly should include a spider, 2 cranks, and bottom bracket. They are also strongest interms of weight to strength ratio…..If u don't have the money for that I'd say Kona Bulge or Azonic are your best bet.

ok…im a little confused. i don't know a whole lot about the 3-piece cranksets…could somebody help explain. all of these 3-piece cranksets here come with a euro bb, right? i just thought that it was basically the same as a bmx, but i must be wrong.

also - anybody know anything about the haro set? nobody mentioned them, but the guy at the shop seemed to think that they were great.

K-DAWG

July 13, 2003, 11:13 a.m.

anybody :???:

K-DAWG

July 13, 2003, 11:47 a.m.

Euro is a standard MTB style BB. The BMX has press-fit cups and is a good bit larger.

The BMX bearing won't fit in a Euro frame, and a Euro BB won't fit in a BMX frame without an adapter.