Crank Bros Sage Wheels? Anyone with experience?

July 30, 2013, 9:37 p.m.

If anyone has any time on these wheels, pulease let me know some good and or bad about them.

I'm in the market for some wheels and crc has them on cheap.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 30, 2013, 10:29 p.m.

don't

July 30, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Look what is available on this page

You could possibly get Easton Havens (don't know what axle size you have) for slightly less, or a set of Mavic/Hope wheels for the same price as the CB

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 30, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

don't

I'm leaning towards that but $437 is tempting for a set, but the 2 spoke idea isn't too reaasuring. What's your reason behind the "don't"?

Look what is available on this page

You could possibly get Easton Havens (don't know what axle size you have) for slightly less, or a set of Mavic/Hope wheels for the same price as the CB

Spent time on there today, and if I pick up the frame tomorrow, it'll be 150x12. Havens don't seem to come in 150 rear and a havoc rear is more than a sage set.

I originally was going to go full budget with a zee 150x12 for $73 off crc and go from there but I haven't read much about the Zee hubs.

July 30, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85683

You're welcome.

July 31, 2013, 2:45 a.m.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85683

You're welcome.

Those are waaaay too practical.

July 31, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

You can find the Havoc for pretty cheap…

http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bike-Wheels/Easton-Havoc-DH-Wheelset

July 31, 2013, 11:17 a.m.

Hey you know that old food cart down by the park, the one that gave 100 people listeria poisoning with moldy coldcuts, and then a month later gave out botulism to 50 people with some bad tuna, and then only a year later served up e-coli burgers to 50 more people.

Weeeellll, they have these really cheap goat souvlakis (they're on special!) They put lots of sauce on them, and they look reaaaaally fancy. Did I mention they're on sale?

Has anyone tried their souvlakis? Should I have one for lunch?

July 31, 2013, 11:33 a.m.

Crank Bros parts come in pretty boxes and probably include a decal. Look great on a roof rack. Look around the North Shore. How many of their pedals or seat posts do you see? Not many hunh. Good reason for that. Hope hubs are outstanding, choose a decent rim for your needs and get someone local to build them or CRC as suggested above.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 31, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

Basically you can buy them, hope you don't have free hub problems since some of their wheel sets did if I remember correctly.

Then your going to have to realize you may not be able to get replacement rims, spokes or anything, ever.

Sound worth it? Then go for it and keep us posted.

July 31, 2013, 1:30 p.m.

Crank Bros parts come in pretty boxes and probably include a decal. Look great on a roof rack. Look around the North Shore. How many of their pedals or seat posts do you see? Not many hunh. Good reason for that. Hope hubs are outstanding, choose a decent rim for your needs and get someone local to build them or CRC as suggested above.

While I'm aware of their inherent boutiqueness and all things that go with it, I think the main reason why you dont see them on the shore here is b/c of the mrsp of or around $1200 for a wheelset. I have considered the $2 per spoke replacement option but I was hoping someone could offer some tech reason such as the spokes are spaced too far apart to properly fix a wobble and or the rims are soft.

You can find the Havoc for pretty cheap…

http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bike-Wheels/Easton-Havoc-DH-Wheelset

Now thats moar like it. But are they UST rims?

Basically you can buy them, hope you don't have free hub problems since some of their wheel sets did if I remember correctly.

Then your going to have to realize you may not be able to get replacement rims, spokes or anything, ever.

Sound worth it? Then go for it and keep us posted.

I've heard of or at at least read about the freehub/pawl issues. Replacement parts are available direct from CB along with "crash replacements". Considering how much I (dont) ride and I like to think I'm still fairly smooth, it could be a good fit and price to get the new frame rolling.

July 31, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

Buy a set of Stan's Flow EX's and build them on Hope hubs. They will last you forever and can interchange with any current hub standard out there right now. Or buy the Crank Bros and roll the dice……….

Shed head!

July 31, 2013, 2 p.m.

Buy a set of Stan's Flow EX's and build them on Hope hubs. They will last you forever and can interchange with any current hub standard out there right now. Or buy the Crank Bros and roll the dice……….

I am pretty happy with the flow on the rear of the big hit. Either 823s, 729s or Flows would be ideal and depending on how I proceed with the Splinter and Imperial, I have enough hubs (CK set, a hadley 20mm and even a deemax) to rebuild a set but then that'd impede an easier sale of the bikes.

I'm quite tempted to roll the dice, just hope its a 6 or 8 and not the snake eyes.

July 31, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

Yeah from the advise everyone has given sounds like you should buy a pair:lol:

Check NRG for msrp on hopes add $125/rim for Flows, spokes, nipples plus build cost, see what number you get and report back.

July 31, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

Yeah from the advise everyone has given sounds like you should buy a pair:lol:

Check NRG for msrp on hopes add $125/rim for Flows, spokes, nipples plus build cost, see what number you get and report back.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a hope set would be $5-600ish locally. Much like I just said though, I could get away with just building a rear as I have enough hubs to rebuild a ust front wheel. But I havent started even re-franken-biking shit together again.

Waiting to hear back from CB on this issue actually. I usually dont trust the California definition of "freeride" and wheels being the first inline for damage and abuse from riding.. well, hence this thread.