cove std vs knolly v-tach, need help for choose a frame

Feb. 13, 2008, 3:49 p.m.

would be best for sure.

BUT if you're in some country where you can't test ride, i can tell you that a medium Knolly should fit you perfect if you're anywhere near 5'11" …

Bingo - yup - unless you have super short legs and a really long torso, the medium should be the right fit.

Cheers!

www.knollybikes.com
ph: (604) 324-6635
fx: (604) 324-6482

Sept. 30, 2008, 7:56 a.m.

Would be nice if it was that easy but I'm betting it's not.[…] So to make it short, customs can be bitch.

I know this is hypothetical caus' this is an old discussion but I just want to add my 2c here, and maybe it could help someone else down the road…

I'd say it sounds like German customs are a b!tch… I've travelled back and forth to France numerous times with bikes (I'd say at least 10x), and they've never asked for the provenance of my bike. If you were to come to Canada w out a box, and go back with a box, that might raise eyebrows. But I doubt anyone would notice different weights of luggage. If you were to plan a trip to Vancouver and pick up a bike while there, I'd say your best bet is to bring your old bike with you, and bring the new bike back after having ridden it a bit. You can sell or just leave your old bike there. If customs pulls you over, you just tell them that it was your bike before you went to Canada. If you're really paranoid and don't want to bring the receipt with you, mail it to yourself back home before you take the plane.

It's really not that hard. Hope this helps someone down the road… =/

And if anyone's listening anymore, I'm curious if it's judicious to put a double crown fork on the STD…?

Sept. 30, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

Ok I have no idea if the original poster did end up with either bike, and I am curious as to what he got.

I will not say buy this or that bike. Its is up to you to determine which bike is right for you. Try them out, if you are not able to try them out, do the #'s research Head angle, BB height, Top tube length and chain stay length are the most important. This is what I did when looking into a new frame, I spent a lot of time studying angles and lengths of pretty much every FR/DH bike out there that was not a single pivot, for well over a year.

I chose the Cove STD over pretty much every bike out there, had exactly what I was looking for in the angle/length dept. I was looking for a frame to replace my 2006 Norco Team DH, I wanted something with 7-7.5" travel, around 65 head angle, longer chainstays, and around a 14.5-14.75 BB Height. I also knew what parts I was putting on the bike which included a 8" travel Dual Crown, so I did my research and did some e-mailing and phone calling. I talked to Gabe @ cove about running a 8" dual crown on a STD, he said it would be fine.

Now I know a lot of you are going to say the V-Tach fits that mold nicely and it does. The major thing that threw me off is the price, and lack of availability.

I have had only a couple of weeks on my STD and I cannot say enough good things about this bike….. IT IS A FAST BIKE!! It rails corners and shoots you out like a slingshot, pedals like a dream, jumps like its has wings. I could not be any happier with my decision on the Cove STD.