cove std vs knolly v-tach, need help for choose a frame

Nov. 1, 2007, 4:52 a.m.

hello,

I want buy a new frame and I hesitate with the std and the v-tach. first, I wanted to choose the std, but with the lot of good review for the v-tach, I hesitate. sure, I want a canadian frame, but wich of both? I'm living in french alps, it's not the north shore, but we have a lot of freeride trails(tight corners and rocks included!!), but not always lift assisted… I'm 5'9 and 190lbs. thanks at the owners or the guys who have tested these two frame for giving to me your impressions.

Nov. 1, 2007, 7:15 a.m.

Two great bikes, hard to go wrong.

If it were up to me I would pick a Knolly

Warranty issues would be something to keep in mind living overseas. Not cheap to send a bike back to canada.

Nov. 1, 2007, 7:17 a.m.

Why not get a European bike? Or one from a major world wide manufacturer. Too risky for you to buy from a small local North American company IMHO.

Nov. 1, 2007, 7:26 a.m.

the Knolly won't have any issues so the distance is a non-issue.

i've not spent any time on the Cove, but i've yet to meet anyone with a vtach who didnt' rave about it …

Nov. 1, 2007, 9:03 a.m.

The Cove design is a lot less stiff in the back than the Knollys' that i have wiggled.
The full(er) length seat tube on the Knolly will mean that you can climb it a lot more easily.

Knolly FTW.

Nov. 1, 2007, 2:55 p.m.

The STD is NOT a lot less stiff than the Knolly. The STD has just as much usable seat tube as the Knolly and in fact will put less stress on the frame when the post is extended due to the steeper actual seat angle vs. the VTach.
Cove has a distributor in the UK among other European countries so sending the frame back to Canada shouldn't be an issue if there were any problems.

Nov. 1, 2007, 3:23 p.m.

I love my cove std! The only broblem I've had was getting it in the first place. If your using another distributer you may have better luck.

Really you can't go wrong with these two.

Nov. 1, 2007, 4 p.m.

If you're set on those two, then most definitely get the Knolly.

Nov. 1, 2007, 4:07 p.m.

quality is HIGH on knolly, Cove, i can't find any on the site.

Nov. 1, 2007, 4:08 p.m.

both are wicked bikes but the V-tach is aimed more at a beefier freeride design then the STD…

the STD is lighter and its ride will reflect it..

u wont go wrong with either..

nice position to be in, buying one of those 2 bikes..

Nov. 1, 2007, 6:06 p.m.

It's also down to whether you prefer the ride of a '4-bar' or Horst-link style rear suspension over a parrallel link type design.

To be honest having ridden both, I kind of prefer the parallel link design. Depends on the axle path, but I prefer the way the parallel link design sprints and with the slightly rearward axle path, it makes for a plush ride at the start of the stroke.

Jon-boy.

Nov. 1, 2007, 10:10 p.m.

Knolly V-Tach….no contest…one of the most ridiculously excellent bikes I have every had the pleasure to ride.

Read my review from last year http://www.nsmb.com/gear/knolly_review_01_07.php

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Nov. 1, 2007, 10:49 p.m.

It's also down to whether you prefer the ride of a '4-bar' or Horst-link style rear suspension over a parrallel link type design.

To be honest having ridden both, I kind of prefer the parallel link design. Depends on the axle path, but I prefer the way the parallel link design sprints and with the slightly rearward axle path, it makes for a plush ride at the start of the stroke.

[stirs pot\]They're both 4-bar linkages. [/unstirs pot]

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 1, 2007, 11:06 p.m.

[stirs pot\]They're both 4-bar linkages. [/unstirs pot]

Bah! That's why I wrote '4-bar'. :nerd:

Jon-boy.

Nov. 2, 2007, 1:41 a.m.

hello,

I want buy a new frame and I hesitate with the std and the v-tach. first, I wanted to choose the std, but with the lot of good review for the v-tach, I hesitate. sure, I want a canadian frame, but wich of both? I'm living in french alps, it's not the north shore, but we have a lot of freeride trails(tight corners and rocks included!!), but not always lift assisted… I'm 5'9 and 190lbs. thanks at the owners or the guys who have tested these two frame for giving to me your impressions.

Hello Fredok:

Noel here from Knolly Bikes.

In terms of support, the V-tach has an excellent reliability record as our customers will attest to. However, issues can arise that are outside of the design and manufacturing of the frame and you definitely need to concerned about that. For example, not properly tightening a bolt and losing it after changing a flat; a bad crash and your frame hits a tree or a rock sideways; or you drive into your garage with it on your roof rack.

For 2008 we have distribution coverage throughout Europe (as does Cove) so that will be less of a concern.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us here:

Cheers!

Noel

www.knollybikes.com
ph: (604) 324-6635
fx: (604) 324-6482