Cove Shocker or Iron Horse Sunday 06

May 20, 2007, 5:49 a.m.

G'day guys, i'm in a bit of i dilema. A mate of a mate of mine has a cove shocker and a iron horse for sale (UNUSED). both are for [HTML_REMOVED]#163;2500…. i live in scotland.

my current set bike is as follows:

03 big hit dh
03 monsters
atomlab trail pimps on hope bulb hubs
old skool m4's 8" rotors.

its a bit of a tank weighing in at approx 55 lbs but i still use it for cycling around everywhere and like cycling it up hills. I like things to last, so i dont mind sacrificing weight for reliability. anyway the spec of the cove and the 06 iron horse are as follows:

Cove shocker (black)
dhx 5
06 boxxer teams
race face diabolus crankset
sram x7 or x9
deemax
avids… not sure which ones (sorry)

Iron horse 06
888's
dhx 5
Random wheel set
race face diabolus crankset
shimano brakes
sram x7 or 9
and some other shit

so the question is, which would u buy and why. + in ur oppinion which would u think would be better for me? i will hopefully be test ridding both next month but would appreciate some input from people who have ridden either of the above for a reasonable period.

thanks in advance

Fraz

and i know some people put things like this up on forums just to burn time, but i actually have the cash and want to have one bought in a months time so ur input will be greatly appreciated.

May 20, 2007, 7:49 a.m.

Both bikes are very similar, working in a shop that sells both cove and iron horse we have had several customers who have a similar dilema.

I think I should say now that I ride and own a Shocker, so read into that what you will!

I think the Cove is better made. If you look at both frames side by side the cove looks and feels better made, the welds are better, it looks stronger, beefier front end, nicer linkages with high quality large sealed bearings etc. The Sunday feels a bit 'cheap' in comparison. I haven't yet had to replace the bearings on my cove, there is no play anywhere after almost a years use, including six weeks solid in Whistler last summer - I know for a fact that Sundays don't hold up as well. The Cove is about a pound heavier than the Sunday. The angles, BB height, etc are very similar on both bikes.

The two racers who we sponsor love their shockers - one has come off a Sunday last season and prefers the shocker.

In terms of the build, they look pretty similar but I would take Boxxer Teams of 888's anyday…

You can't go wrong with either really - they are both great bikes and a massive step up from a bighit.

May 20, 2007, 9:52 a.m.

not sure what u meant about the fork part. u would take boxxer teams over 06 boxxers any day or u would have the 888's over boxxers? i have tried a pair of 04 and 06 888's and the 04 ones felt pretty bad after a while, most likely due to the fact that my mate has a tendency to buy things and then not bother servicing it. the 06 888's were pretty much brand new so they didnt feel super plush but that may have been due to them not being beded in yet.
i'm i right in assuming ur the same sampo on decent world? if so, i had a look at all of ur pics on pink bike yesterday. i really like the setup ur running, i just wish the bike that my mate is selling was in the same colour but its a complete black steed.
whats the deal with cracks on the front shock mounts? i have heard some people say that some earlier models had some issues there? the guy who i'm hopefully buying it off bought it last sept. is this likely to be an issue for me?
Final question. is the price reasonable?
thanks again for ur help. if u have any more cool pics, could u please mail them to me.

[email protected]

May 20, 2007, 10:03 a.m.

the shocker is built tougher than the sunday. if you like having beefier bikes and you are willing to sacrifice about a pound, which i'm assuming you are, then the shocker is definitely the way to go. i myself am not sure about what batch(s) of the shockers were having the cracking issue, but i also know that it was indeed a problem, someone out here had the issue too. i'm not sure if there is a way to reinforce the plates, but the rest of the shocker is a lot stronger than the sunday. maybe try testing both bikes to see what you think, but as for the fork, i'd definitely go for the boxxer.

May 20, 2007, 10:11 a.m.

I think the Iron Horse would be a better bet because you can never trust Cove with any type of warrenty… what type of 888s come on the iron horse?

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

May 20, 2007, 10:31 a.m.

are these bikes going to be new or used?

May 20, 2007, 10:44 a.m.

are these bikes going to be new or used?

try reading the original post. both are unused.

May 20, 2007, 12:36 p.m.

try reading the original post. both are unused.

oh my bad! well then if I were you I would go for the Sunday

May 20, 2007, 12:40 p.m.

Aye both bikes are unused. they were originally bought as test bikes i believe, but they havent been riden more that once or twice, so havent seen any abuse of any kind. 06 888's on the iron horse, as for which specific model, i believe its the rc2x.

as for warrenty… well i'm not an insane rider i.e. i like building 15ft shore etc but i dont like riding them cause i'm a bit of a pussy. so i cant see warrenty being an issue + would rather have a sweet ride than buy a bike based on how a company deals with warrenty issues.

cheers again guys for all ur input so far.

May 20, 2007, 12:42 p.m.

Any reason why you would go for the sunday over the cove? other than the potential warrenty issues? cheers again

May 20, 2007, 12:52 p.m.

Aye both bikes are unused. they were originally bought as test bikes i believe, but they havent been riden more that once or twice, so havent seen any abuse of any kind. 06 888's on the iron horse, as for which specific model, i believe its the rc2x.

as for warrenty… well i'm not an insane rider i.e. i like building 15ft shore etc but i dont like riding them cause i'm a bit of a pussy. so i cant see warrenty being an issue + would rather have a sweet ride than buy a bike based on how a company deals with warrenty issues.

cheers again guys for all ur input so far.

Don't cheap out on warranty, manufactors defects happen often enough.
Just from riding and normal stress I would want to deal with a company that has good service.
iron horse does not.

May 20, 2007, 2:51 p.m.

I think the Iron Horse would be a better bet because you can never trust Cove with any type of warrenty…

What kind of shit is that bro? You should base your statements on fact before opening your big flap.

May 20, 2007, 3:04 p.m.

Any reason why you would go for the sunday over the cove? other than the potential warrenty issues? cheers again

I'm going to guess its b/c he's brainwashed to bad mouth every other shop on the shore since he is either sponsored or works (maybe both) for Steed Cycles.

From what I know, Cove stands behind their products very well.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

May 20, 2007, 3:17 p.m.

lol if people can back up their oppinions with some reasons, then that would be appreciated. but i think we are all smart enough to determine whats a well founded oppinion and what oppinions have been plucked out of thin air. cheers again guys so far, please keep the posts rollin :D

May 20, 2007, 3:20 p.m.

I'm going to guess its b/c he's brainwashed to bad mouth every other shop on the shore since he is either sponsored or works (maybe both) for Steed Cycles.

From what I know, Cove stands behind their products very well.

they warrantied my peeler for me no problem I wasn't even off the bike for 2 weeks.
and the took the parts off the old frame and put them on the new one.