Cooler temps making my eyes water, options?

Oct. 25, 2020, 4:02 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: Ouch

Really???

I've never worn glasses or goggles Mtbing. I'm guessing because I'm in my 50's now, my eyes have changed. If you have any advice on how to prevent my eyes watering with cooler temperatures, I'd love to hear it!

I go to the eye guy every year cuz Type II , as I got older at some point my eyes were watering so bad i thit it  was hayfever or SFT, eye guy said it was Meibomitus which is common for old fucks

I did Google that, I don't have any of those signs and symptoms. 

If I slow down, no eye watering when it's colder out. I went out today and it seemed fine, but the trail was smoother, so might be the combo of cold and janky stuff.

I did try riding today with some goggles (slight tint with scratches) just to see what it was like, I'm definitely going to get some clear lens.

Oct. 26, 2020, 5:31 p.m.

I think eye protection is super important. Think about rocks and sticks and mud and crashing - it's amazing that we don't suffer more eye injuries than we do.

Oct. 26, 2020, 9:33 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Really???

I've never worn glasses or goggles Mtbing. I'm guessing because I'm in my 50's now, my eyes have changed. If you have any advice on how to prevent my eyes watering with cooler temperatures, I'd love to hear it!

I go to the eye guy every year cuz Type II , as I got older at some point my eyes were watering so bad i thit it  was hayfever or SFT, eye guy said it was Meibomitus which is common for old fucks

I did Google that, I don't have any of those signs and symptoms. 

If I slow down, no eye watering when it's colder out. I went out today and it seemed fine, but the trail was smoother, so might be the combo of cold and janky stuff.

I did try riding today with some goggles (slight tint with scratches) just to see what it was like, I'm definitely going to get some clear lens.

it hit me kind of in winter so I was popping hayfever meds like candy which didnt work

I mentioned it to the Opthamologist and he came up with a diagnosis right away

there is some stuff you can wash your eyes with that might help OR just use no-more tears  kiddy shampoo

just letting you old fucks know its something to consider and /or look forward to

Oct. 26, 2020, 10:30 p.m.

I guess I'm old, cause this has been going on with me for a few years. Sometimes they water so much I have trouble seeing! My oakleys fixed it but I have trouble in the winter when its raining and humid with fogging. Anyone have any solutions?

Oct. 27, 2020, 5:51 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

here in the jungle of the west coast with tight overgrown trails it's amazing we don't hear of more serious eye injuries.

I had two close calls in a row summer of 2018 which was why I spent the $$ on the Oakelys and have worn them pretty much every trail ride since.  Aside from not getting my eyes poked out the protection from the dust and mud is nice and with the changing lens colour I don't have to pull out sunglasses for those stretches in the clear in summer.

Oct. 27, 2020, 5:45 p.m.

Today I had watering eyes despite wearing my glasses. It was a super intense trail that was high speed with wet roots, muddy sections and many jumps/gaps. When things get cooking, i stop blinking, probably a darwinian trait/fight or flight response. My advice to all us old f%#@kers with watering eyes, try blinking.

Oct. 28, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

Silly question.... but what do you guys use to clean your glasses or goggles if you get mud or mist on them, to prevent scratching the lens?

Oct. 28, 2020, 12:39 p.m.

At home - dish soap, then micro-fibre cloth (i.e. glasses case)

On the trail...water bottle and try not to use your shirt (unless you have a built-in piece of cloth designed for lenses).

Oct. 29, 2020, 7:05 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

At home - dish soap, then micro-fibre cloth (i.e. glasses case)

On the trail...water bottle and try not to use your shirt (unless you have a built-in piece of cloth designed for lenses).

Thanks

Oct. 29, 2020, 7:07 p.m.

I would think clear lens would be best for North shore riding? What goggles (Brand) have the best clarity?

Oct. 29, 2020, 8:58 p.m.

They're all perfectly clear when new but Ryder's shore/tall can and smith squads seem to handle fog the best which is super important to me

Oct. 29, 2020, 10:07 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

They're all perfectly clear when new but Ryder's shore/tall can and smith squads seem to handle fog the best which is super important to me

Looking on Ryder's website, doesn't look like they have goggles anymore?

Oct. 30, 2020, 6:33 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Looking on Ryder's website, doesn't look like they have goggles anymore?

Hmm weird, I feel like I've still seen them in shops, go for the smith's if not.

Nov. 1, 2020, 10:30 a.m.

Picked up a pair of Milwaukee safety glasses w/ antifog at Home Depot for $25. Wanted to try something cheap for winter rides. Works really well.  The antifog coating is especially good. I find the inside of the lenses have water pooled at the edges from sweat vapors but it never fogged.  Optics seem pretty good as well. 

Also the fit is better than most sunglasses from the main brands. (I have a big face) And since it's so cheap, you could heat and slightly mould the shape without too much worry.

Nov. 1, 2020, 11:35 p.m.

Posted by: Korc

Picked up a pair of Milwaukee safety glasses w/ antifog at Home Depot for $25. Wanted to try something cheap for winter rides. Works really well.  The antifog coating is especially good. I find the inside of the lenses have water pooled at the edges from sweat vapors but it never fogged.  Optics seem pretty good as well. 

Also the fit is better than most sunglasses from the main brands. (I have a big face) And since it's so cheap, you could heat and slightly mould the shape without too much worry.

Can you share a link to the ones you got? I need something clear for winter night rides and those actually don't look bad.