converting a 26" bike to 24"

Feb. 3, 2015, 2:02 p.m.

whitehonky's rad builds for his kids last year got me thinking. which frames would be good candidates to be built up with 24" wheels? he used a norco 4x and a banshee scythe, for the record

the optimal frame would be lightweight and have 100-130mm to travel, with a steep seat tube and slack head tube, along with a high bb and short top tube. super bonus if it comes in 13"/xs size.

does that ring a bell? (pictures of) home made cookies for anyone who comes up with a frame the meets all those criteria!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 3, 2015, 3:30 p.m.

RM Element LO? No dropped top tube but the fit is small. Available in a 13"

I would be on the hunt for an older Specialized Myka. Good standover, and you might be able to decal it up if it's for a little dude.

Feb. 3, 2015, 5:09 p.m.

whitehonky's rad builds for his kids last year got me thinking. which frames would be good candidates to be built up with 24" wheels? he used a norco 4x and a banshee scythe, for the record

the optimal frame would be lightweight and have 100-130mm to travel, with a steep seat tube and slack head tube, along with a high bb and short top tube. super bonus if it comes in 13"/xs size.

does that ring a bell? (pictures of) home made cookies for anyone who comes up with a frame the meets all those criteria!

Old Kona Cowan dually?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 3, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

nm, wrong thread…

Feb. 3, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

RM Element LO? No dropped top tube but the fit is small. Available in a 13"

hadn't heard of those. older element came in an xs too i think. good idea; bit steep though

I would be on the hunt for an older Specialized Myka. Good standover, and you might be able to decal it up if it's for a little dude.

standover is good but st is long even in the small size. he wouldn't be able to run a dropper :damn:

Old Kona Cowan dually?

mmmm, i thought about a holwer too… probably pretty porky. i feel like they won't come in 13"/xs because of the faux-bar suspension

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:53 p.m.

2006-2010 ish Norco Fluid?

http://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2008/27/

May not be slack enough for you, but you could always throw a works components angleset in there?

Feb. 4, 2015, 9:57 a.m.

Boom4Real - it was a Banshee Wildcard, not a Scythe. Scythe would be a tank! And the wildcard comes XS.

Norco 4x was a bit steep, but added 1 degree with an angleset from Works as per Erik's comment.

Older Intense 6.6 or SS would also be a good candidate.

Best lighter frame with shorter travel would be the Giant Yukon like Giant has been piecing together for the WBP.

Transition Double would work too and the Bottlerocket if you want burlier. Both can be found at good discount.

The high(er) bb is critical and minimum 165 cranks (160 better). Also run a higher volume tire like Maxxis Highroller or Kenda Nevegal (for DH applications) to ensure limited pedal-strikes.

Just sold Mrs. WH's small Intense 6.6 for similar application.

Here's a couple options, but haven't gone through geo in detail:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1682133/

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1683017/

Feb. 4, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

Transition Double would work too and the Bottlerocket if you want burlier. Both can be found at good discount.

Double is heavy. I owned one for a short while and couldn't stand it. Banshee rampant is super light and fun and a kid probably wouldn't have to worry so much about durability issues.

Feb. 4, 2015, 6:17 p.m.

2006 Giant trance in xs

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Feb. 4, 2015, 7:26 p.m.

thanks everyone!

2006-2010 ish Norco Fluid?

ugh i had a 2008 fluid and hated it. couldn't subject my son to that thing

teh knowledge

wildcard, intense and the transitions are going to be too heavy and HD. i feel like 100-120mm travel would be the sweet spot

most 4x bikes are too steep up front - add an angle set and the price starts escalating

the yukon fs is a good call, i'll keep my eye out for one of those

Banshee rampant is super light and fun

based on wh having used a banshee, the rampant was one of the first bikes i considered. but it was designed too well: the 13" bb is probably to low to drop by and inch - even with short cranks it would probably mean a lot of pedal strikes…

2006 Giant trance in xs

considered that, but the st on an xs is still 14.5", and the hta is too steep

i'm starting to rethink the dually. looking at the v1 or "summer season" on-one 456: the bb height on those always seemed too high, so it could be a good candidate for small wheeling; slacked out geometry with a 100mm fork would be decent; a tad on the heavy side but steel [HTML_REMOVED] aluminum; small has a 90mm ht, a sub 22" top tube and a 14" seat tube that looks to project over an inch above the top tube, so could be chopped down?

Feb. 6, 2015, 7:18 a.m.

Check out the Scott Voltage 24.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Feb. 6, 2015, 8:58 a.m.

Check out the Scott Voltage 24.

why?

Feb. 6, 2015, 1:13 p.m.

Boom don't know if this is to heavy but maybe something like this?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1670512/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/