Continental Mountain King II - Pressure advice

Jan. 19, 2015, 7:20 a.m.

You failed to mention what compound you used for the other tires as that definately has an effect on tire wear.

Fair enough.

Maxxis 3C or Super Tacky, doesn't really make much difference to overall wear, just the ST are less likely to suddenly lose entire knobs during that final 2-3 days when one is trying to get the most out of the tyre but knows that it really should be replaced.

Schwalbe Vertstar: as grippy as Black chilli but rolls slower and wears way faster, slightly grippier than 3C but maybe it is just the difference in tread patterns (Schwalbe to Maxxis).

Schwalbe Trailstar: not as grippy as Black chilli still rolls slower (especially Hans Dampf) and still wears faster.

A Magic Mary made out of Black chilli rubber with their Enduro weight case (or the new Procore) might be the ultimate tyre for all round but as it doesn't exist I am more than happy with the Trail Kings.

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!

Jan. 19, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

Dampf's in "vert star" sucked, but I put on their trailstar after wearing quickly through the vert start and haven't looked at the tire in almost a year. Go trail star… it's better.

Jan. 20, 2015, 12:09 a.m.

I've read a lot about them, and a number of folks were saying they couldn't be happier. Even some of those UK guys who apparently ride in slop all year round were praising them.

Obviously Hans Dampfs are at the top of my list for a replacement. The question is: how do they wear?

Perhaps the aforementioned solution of saving them for summer is the way to go.

The UK and here are literally miles apart. I rode with either Gazza Duals or Tioga Factory 'Dh' tyres for around 5 years in the UK and am still alive! There just isn't the sustained steepness. Just get off the brakes and [2007] give'r![/2007]

Hans Dampfs last approx 3 minutes.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 21, 2015, 7:37 a.m.

I'm running tubeless with i23 rims.

I'm going to try some lower pressures and hope I don't die.

Jan. 29, 2015, 7:57 a.m.

I've been as low as 22F/18 R I'm 190 without fear
Was amazing traction but slow and was not on purpose. Was amazed I did not flat the rims

Jan. 29, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

I did a ride on a pair of these tires last week, honestly they were scary. Less traction on the rear in the mud than my specialized purgatory, and as a front tire doesn't communicate grip anywhere near as well as a Magic Mary, Hans Dampft, Specialized Butcher, Maxxis DHF… Honestly with so many other good options out there I'm not sure why anyone would put up with these on their bike.

Jon-boy.

Feb. 2, 2015, 6:12 a.m.

I've been as low as 22F/18 R I'm 190 without fear
Was amazing traction but slow and was not on purpose. Was amazed I did not flat the rims

With which tires?

I used to ride a lot of park, so for that reason I already shy away from running low pressure, and the idea of burping a front tire in a berm or on an ugly transition from a medium largeish drop freaks me out. I can't really afford an injury right now, especially one caused by equipment.

Feb. 7, 2015, 3:27 a.m.

Found an interesting method on Stans website. Your weight, divided by 7 plus one for the front and two for the rear (PSI).

That would mean for me 25 front and 27 rear. Interesting…

Feb. 7, 2015, 10:44 a.m.

/\Nice! Thanks.
Looked up the formula, it's -1 for front.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 7, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

Not sure I want to try running 20.5 PSIG front, 23.5 PSIG rear. But good on the people willing to try it out

And I was over shooting my weight by a few pounds

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 7, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

Mine worked out to 31 front, 34 rear which is almost exactly what I run… funny.

Feb. 7, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

I ran a mountain king II as a front last summer in the south chilcotin. its a good tire in the dry and dusty low angle stuff, but as soon as it gets moist or even damp, its scary. the tread pattern is ok and I like how much life you get out of harder compounds. I will likely run the same tire next summer as well. I have never set it up tubeless and don't plan to.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.