Conti Mountain King Tires.

Nov. 19, 2017, 2:08 p.m.

Anybody have any experience & / or opinion on Continental Mtn. King tires? They came stock on my Range & the jury is still out. May have to get something different.

Thread killer

Nov. 19, 2017, 11:35 p.m.

I used to ride those all the time, but have since moved away. Essentially, a nice allrounder in most places. Profile is not super deep/aggressive, so they don't dig in all that much in wet or loose terrain. Rubber (RaceSport and ProTection) is a little too hard for my liking on wet roots and rocks. A good tire if your riding does not regularly involve the conditions mentioned above. A pretty good most-conditions trail tire IMHO, not ideally suited for more aggressive descending, especially in less-than-ideal conditions. I have since switched to a Butcher Control/Purgatory Grid combo on the trail bike (about on par thread- and rubber-wise, but cheaper) and a Shorty/Onza Ibex combo on the AM bike.

Nov. 21, 2017, 10:56 a.m.

I am running Trail King and love it...but you have to make sure it's the BlackChili compound.

Nov. 21, 2017, 12:36 p.m.

I second: Make sure you have the Black Chili compound. It grips well and is very durable. In my experience, you get good mileage with minimal degradation of the thread, then it self-destroys rapidly.

I also like the Trail King a lot. I would certainly like them to have larger side knobs for better cornering, but they are quite good nonetheless. If you ride in a very rocky area, I recommend the UST version of the TK. More robust and better sidewall support, but they are a bit heavier.

I don't have direct riding experience with the MK, but the TK seems more inspiring to me.