conti der baron tires

July 24, 2016, 12:52 p.m.

does anyone out there have experience with this tire? in 2.4 size, it looks and sounds like a great tire. ostensibly great in all conditions. some of the conti's seem to be love or hate with a lot of guys and trend in and out of fashion as well. $80 for the black chili top dog version at mec. surely maxxis don't make the only great tires and their prices are eye watering these days.

July 24, 2016, 6:04 p.m.

I just got a set of Vittoria Morsa tires and REALLY like them!

July 24, 2016, 7:23 p.m.

does anyone out there have experience with this tire? in 2.4 size, it looks and sounds like a great tire. ostensibly great in all conditions. some of the conti's seem to be love or hate with a lot of guys and trend in and out of fashion as well. $80 for the black chili top dog version at mec. surely maxxis don't make the only great tires and their prices are eye watering these days.

They're decent from what a friend says about them but they blow off rims easily and consistently.

July 24, 2016, 9:47 p.m.

I had a set of 2.4 Der Kaiser black chilis on my bigger bike that I LOVE so when I had a chance to pick up a set of 2.3 Der Barons dirt cheap for my hard tail I jumped on it. The Barons have never measured up to the Kaisers.

In the Barons' defense, I suspect that they had been sitting on a shelf in a bike shop for quite some time. The two tires arrived with completely different packaging. I put the one whose packing looked like an earlier iteration on the rear figuring it had aged longer and wear would be equalized. In some cases, running the different tires on the same rock faces in similar conditions, there has been a substantial difference in the amount of grip.

I'm about to complete the circle though. I just picked up a set of new-old-stock Der Kaisers that appear to be an earlier generation than the ones I'm currently running (They say "DOWNHILL" on the sidewall where the more newer ones say "Continental"

If the recently acquired Kaisers perform similarly to the Barons, I'll know that the loss of grip is due to rubber aging.

I've never had any problems with beads unseating with either the folding Barons or the wire bead Kaisers. I'm running both tubeless with the Barons on DT M1600s, which have to be one of the least tubeless-friendly profiles out there (helped slightly by Bontrager rim strips) and the Kaisers on first-generation WTB Laserdisc DH's which have a monster bead lock. Mind you, I'm a relatively mellow rider and the Kaisers have only been to WBP a couple times, Stevens Pass and Port Angeles once… I typically run ~25psi for normal riding and pump up a little (30-35? I forget) for park/shuttle.

July 24, 2016, 10:16 p.m.

They're decent from what a friend says about them but they blow off rims easily and consistently.

that's alarming. i have to say, the 2.5 DHF i had on my 29er previously was admittedly faultless. set up TL with ease, never lost air, grip for days, highly durable. 115 plus tax though!!

July 25, 2016, 12:04 a.m.

Running a 29" 2.4 Der Baron on the front and I'm very happy after a few weeks with it. Grip is pretty close to the Magic Mary it replaced, but it is wearing far better. Made me realise how much the MM's performance drops off as it wears.

No issues with mounting it tubeless on a Nobl rim, and no burping at around 22psi. It did lose a bit of air over the first week, and I had to add a little more sealant, but overall I'm very impressed especially for the price. I'll be getting another when this one's done.

July 25, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

I liked them a lot until they blew off my UST specific rims. They rolled quite fast for the amount of grip. I'd be pretty nervous putting them on to be honest, without a ghetto tubeless situation or procore. Especially on the front

July 25, 2016, 7:07 p.m.

I liked them a lot until they blew off my UST specific rims. They rolled quite fast for the amount of grip. I'd be pretty nervous putting them on to be honest, without a ghetto tubeless situation or procore. Especially on the front

Buddy pal o' mine was mounting them inside a wheel box because he was so gun shy about getting blasted by stans… and they were Nobl rims too which are very very difficult to toss a tire off.