Coil vs Air shock

Aug. 24, 2020, midnight

^ Deville II looks good. I feel like the 48mm offset will have many people overlooking the fork. Also the inverted dual crown is production now. 

I really assumed BOS dropped their Mtn bike line after their year with Scott DH team.

Aug. 27, 2020, 6:54 p.m.

I want to love BOS, but the service was pretty patchy - mine came on a YT so it's likely too that like loots of the small guys, they really struggle with the scale of even small OEM deals. If I was confident they could be well serviced by any suspension literate mechanic I'd probably give them a go again. 

It does looks like they've dropped their air shocks, I only see the coil on the site.

The new EXT fork looks like it's probably going to work as well, be better supported, and only cost a fraction more than a Deville II.

Aug. 31, 2020, 11:21 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

I want to love BOS, but the service was pretty patchy - mine came on a YT so it's likely too that like loots of the small guys, they really struggle with the scale of even small OEM deals.

I think this is what happened. They were probably not ready for that.

I heard at some point, YT was just sending a lyrik to customers instead of trying to have devilles fixed/serviced. I don’t know if it is true.

Right now, it looks like they went back to boutique very small scale business model.

I might be difficult to get support if you’re outside of France, which is a shame because, IMO, they are the best performers. No competition !

Aug. 31, 2020, 4:37 p.m.

I was not looking to go coil but I just sent my Super Deluxe Ultimate Air to Fluid Function to get the stroke bumped up to 60mm and fix the tune. The factory tune was way off the mark.

After I shipped my shock off I found a killer deal on a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil so I thought I would give it a go. The coil just came off a Sentinel with a 500lbs spring so it was an exact drop in and ride. Total score!! This is the first time I have ever ridden a coil bike. First ride we did a 27km Alice lake tech ride. Only high speed was T2B Rupert. The small bump compliance is amazing but the weight penalty is real. For better or worse I am an old school weight weenie. LoL. 

Aug. 31, 2020, 8:25 p.m.

So I take it you don’t find the weight penalty worth it?

Sept. 1, 2020, 9:31 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

So I take it you don’t find the weight penalty worth it?

At this point air shocks are so good and offers so much tunability a coil is not such a huge leap in performance as it once was. Coils will always be kings for small bump.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for. Racing and KOM hunting go coil. For the rest its up to the end user.

Sept. 1, 2020, 1:37 p.m.

Air shock, coil fork is where I think the right balance is for cost/weight/adjustability/performance.