Code vs Hope

Feb. 19, 2007, 6:39 p.m.

The new Hope 6 pots also have more adjustment with an updated lever design. And remember, a lot of brake pros and cons rest on personal preference, so try out the brakes beforehand if at all possible. I have extensively ridden a pair of Hope 6 pots and have had occasion to try of Juicys; the lever feel on the Hope brakes won hand down, for me the Juicys felt awkward. Additionally, the Juicys were overly grabby and did not have great modulation, I had to be more careful about using them. The Hopes on the other hand feel much smoother and easier to operate. However, I would not be surprised if someone says the exact opposite, and remember this experience does not involve Codes (though I would assume that they do not feel radically different from Juicys). Pick a lever that feels nice to pull, and then set the brake up as best as possible and you can't go too far wrong.

And seriously, what is with all the Code suggestions? How many people have actually had a chance to use them? (On a trail as opposed to parking lot or just lever pulling.)

22 Pride

Feb. 19, 2007, 7:44 p.m.

i love my mono m4's. very light and powerfull.

Feb. 19, 2007, 7:47 p.m.

I think I would compare the Moto V2 to the code, both the newest offerings from both brands, and the codes would have more power than an M4, the Moto's are supposed to be much more powerful than the M4's. I would go codes because the are beefy, well supported, easy to bleed (sealed bleed system), and the lever geometry is awesome which = less arm pump, not to mention the adjustments.

.:NSTP:.

Feb. 19, 2007, 11:51 p.m.

I've got at least 20 rides on my codes and love them. Smooth, lots of power,
and great modulation. I had one out of the two I got were defective (internal
leak). They sent me a new one quick and no problems. Running on a dh rig (demo 8).
Had a great long run on a old cane road (average speed is 35mph), lot of braking
no fade, felt great the whole way.

I have not tried the hopes, although the motos look pretty.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 20, 2007, 5:22 p.m.

sorry for threadjacking - but how do codes compare to juicy 7's ?

Or Juicy carbons??!

W Homer Cycles
JamsSite

Feb. 20, 2007, 9:25 p.m.

codes are so strong, i can nose-wheelie a v10 with ridiculously little finger effort and no weight shift.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

March 22, 2007, 8:46 a.m.

Okay so I went with the Code brakes. Probably will install in the next night or so, just in time for great spring riding. For those that are wondering the same questions I had I'll report back later to give my opinion.

Sept. 26, 2007, 3:49 p.m.

Okay so I have 4 months running the codes and I couldn't be happier for this purchase. They have really helped reduce the pain I use to feel in my hands. Plus the stopping power is crazy. That pretty much sums it up.

1 to 5 rating

I'm saying 4.5

Only reason they're not a 5 is I factored in price..They were pricey. Guess you get what you pay for.

Sept. 26, 2007, 8:16 p.m.

Code has superior modulation than Juicy. IMO, the Juicy lever assembly feels abit rough, sticky. but the Code's new lever is Smooth due to the bearings.

Sept. 26, 2007, 8:30 p.m.

another vote for the codes here, just set mine up today. Even though they need some tweaking they're awesome brakes with tons of stopping power and smooth lever action :D

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Sept. 26, 2007, 9:11 p.m.

I've run Juicy 7's for 5 months of winter riding on the shore, followed by 2 months in Whistler. They were amazing and I've never lost confidence as they never faded. However, once I hopped on the 08 Codes in July, I was just amazed on my first run by just the shear grabbing power of them. Still doesn't fade after a long section (ie: bear cub) and even by GLC the codes still had the grabbing power that they had at the top. I do believe these are my last brakeset unless Avid can offer the same power with lighter weight.

oh hai!

Sept. 26, 2007, 9:19 p.m.

I've run Juicy 7's for 5 months of winter riding on the shore, followed by 2 months in Whistler. They were amazing and I've never lost confidence as they never faded. However, once I hopped on the 08 Codes in July, I was just amazed on my first run by just the shear grabbing power of them. Still doesn't fade after a long section (ie: bear cub) and even by GLC the codes still had the grabbing power that they had at the top. I do believe these are my last brakeset unless Avid can offer the same power with lighter weight.

there good at brakeing seat stays too, eh.

Sept. 26, 2007, 9:21 p.m.

I do believe these are my last brakeset unless Avid can offer the same power with lighter weight.

I'm sure Avid will do something to amaze us to make us think the codes are crap and the "new" bling is the shizzle…:lol:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 26, 2007, 9:22 p.m.

there good at brakeing seat stays too, eh.

yeah, guaranteed breaking per braking.

oh hai!

Sept. 26, 2007, 9:25 p.m.

hope