Clutch derailleur, narrow wide chain ring, hardtail...need a chainstay protector

June 26, 2015, 10:04 a.m.

I have a ghetto chainstay protector on my bike. I would prefer the look without. Do I actually even need the protector if I am running 1x10, proper length chain, clutch derailleur and narrow wide chainring? I know I can try running without but I thought I'd ask before risking chipping the paint on my steel beauty. ;)

Wrong. Always.

June 26, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

I have a ghetto chainstay protector on my bike. I would prefer the look without. Do I actually even need the protector if I am running 1x10, proper length chain, clutch derailleur and narrow wide chainring? I know I can try running without but I thought I'd ask before risking chipping the paint on my steel beauty. ;)

Why not just get some of that clear 3m stuff? That's what I have on the HT.

You could probably get away with 3M clear tape. I ran that as a chainstay protector on another bike with a clutch and it seemed to be good. Just replace the strip of tape if you start to see wear or holes.

My current secondhand bike came with this stuff slapped onto the chainstay and it looks pretty slick: https://sugru.com/

keep it. unless you only ride slowly, on smooth trails, and/or in very low gears, you will occasionally still get chain-slap with that set up

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 26, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

Yeah I just viewed the entire 2015 hardtail thread and see that every bike has a chainstay protector so I'll keep using one. Might go for one of the less ghetto options though.

Thanks for the advice.

Wrong. Always.

June 26, 2015, 12:03 p.m.

i currently have 2 layers of clear hockey tape as i was waiting to get some of the 3m frame protector. i see chain contact, however it has not gone through the tape.

before that, i had 2 layers of bright blue duct tape … it held it's form for about 300km of trail riding before i took it off for the clear.

June 26, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

I'd like to put some of that 3M 2228 rubber mastic tape on but that crap is impossible to find locally and I can't bring myself to order tape online. It just feels wrong. Haha.

I have some industrial strength velcro somewhere and will probably put a strip of the "softer" (female?) side of it on the top of my chainstay. Kind of ghetto still but not as much as the sliced inner tube and zipties I've currently got going.

I also see 3M makes a clear ductape. That's another possibility.

Wrong. Always.

June 26, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

I'd like to put some of that 3M 2228 rubber mastic tape on but that crap is impossible to find locally and I can't bring myself to order tape online. It just feels wrong. Haha.

I have some industrial strength velcro somewhere and will probably put a strip of the "softer" (female?) side of it on the top of my chainstay. Kind of ghetto still but not as much as the sliced inner tube and zipties I've currently got going.

I also see 3M makes a clear ductape. That's another possibility.

Magic Wrap is a good alternative to the mastic tape. Can be found at Rona or Home Depot locally.

http://www.glasgowmfg.com/pages/magicwrap.html

Ive got it on the chainstays of most of my bikes. It isnt as thick and durable as mastic tape would be, but it definitely easy to apply and makes a nice job of wrapping the stay.

PS Rachid (NSMB handle rnayel) has at least one roll of the super thick mastic tape up for sale last I looked on Pinkbike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1589909/

June 26, 2015, 2:02 p.m.

Ooh options out the ying yang now. Positive reps for all of ye. Might have to hit up this Rachid character.
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

June 26, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

with my Sram i hear and feel chainslap , with the Shimano not so much

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 26, 2015, 5:52 p.m.

Clear hockey tape ftw, cheap easy to use and little residue when you need to redo it.

June 26, 2015, 8:17 p.m.

I used 4 layers of 3m Di-Noc carbon fibre vinyl wrap. It's been on my Stylus without a clutch der. for about 4 years and I still haven't gone through the top layer. The frame is black so it blends right in, but I'm sure it's available in pretty much any colour you want.

June 26, 2015, 9:42 p.m.

Here's two other options.
You can go to your local dirtbike store, i go to Yamaha, and they have sheets of this clear adhesive protective tape that you can buy. It's a perfect thick tape that's very sticky. You just cut it to fit everywhere that needs protection. It's pretty cheap too.

I purchased some professional grade rubber mastic tape made by Scotch, it's a 3M product. I ordered it from a plumbing distributor. It's 2" wide, 10' long. The shocking part was when it came it and was time to pay, they said it was $70 LOL. I got it down to $60 but I'm still shocked I payed that. It's really great stuff but I have no idea why it's so expensive.

superheros
I like bikes

June 26, 2015, 11:19 p.m.

I covered my Whishart with 3M tape bought from Lordco* I had one or two ales in the process and may have got some dog hair under it but otherwise looks good and it's holding up fine on the chainstays. I do check the functionality of the clutch fairly often though, and out of habit go down hill in fairly low gears to limit the chain from bouncing around. I'm not enduro enough to pedal a bike downhill.

*Speaking of Lordco, I got around 30% discount off the tape for no apparent reason. Maybe going in with oily hands made the guy think I had an account?

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 27, 2015, 8:13 a.m.

I've always used velcro. It's tidy and quiet. I have some of that mastic tape now and love it. Quiet and very clean looking. Grab that roll off pinkbike that's linked a few posts up.