clips

Oct. 24, 2020, 12:25 p.m.

I ran mallets bitd, went through too many axles. moved onto the resin caged shimano dh. bombproof but heavy.

on xt trails now.  1 pair is 7 years old. still going. i dont miss the cage.

Oct. 24, 2020, 2:58 p.m.

Running Mallets. Came from a lifetime of flats so wanted something with maximum float and a big platform for an easy transition. They're basically indistinguishable from flats while riding, only difference is my feet never blow off the pedals with clips.

Serviced the older gen Mallets a few times when they began to feel slightly crunchy, changed the bearings once in ten or so years. New gen Mallets hasn't needed any service. Regardless, it's a 5 minute non-critical job that gives you a lot of warning when it's coming up. Not a big deal.

Oct. 24, 2020, 4:40 p.m.

I flip between my crank bros flats and the enduro mallets (longer spindle) throughout the year. They have a different feel that I prefer for mountain bike, lots more float. They seem to clear muck well too. 

I like the platform when I can’t get clipped in quick. For the record I much prefer SPD for my road and gravel pedal needs.

Oct. 24, 2020, 5:48 p.m.

DMR v-twin when running clips. Similar dimensions to a Mallet, with the SPD interface.

When I find a shoe

/that I'm willing to pay for

/with a deep enough cleat pocket that the tread can rest on the pins like a flat 

/and a soft enough shank to feel like a flat shoe 

I will have found the grail - a combo that feels like flats, but never blows a foot. As per Hepcat.

Oct. 25, 2020, 1:34 p.m.

If the pro's are riding them it cuz they get a smoking pro deal

Oct. 25, 2020, 7:49 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

DMR v-twin when running clips. Similar dimensions to a Mallet, with the SPD interface.

When I find a shoe

/with a deep enough cleat pocket that the tread can rest on the pins like a flat 

I will have found the grail - a combo that feels like flats, but never blows a foot. As per Hepcat.

Ya shoe interface is arguably even more important. I have found the Shimano AM9 to be pretty good in this regard. Even with their relatively long slots for clears I had to modify them to get my feet further forward for the feel I was looking for.

Oct. 25, 2020, 8:41 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Posted by: velocipedestrian

When I find a shoe

Ya shoe interface is arguably even more important. I have found the Shimano AM9 to be pretty good in this regard. Even with their relatively long slots for clears I had to modify them to get my feet further forward for the feel I was looking for.

My older am9s felt the pins on my Saint spd's, probably because they were old and worn out though

Oct. 25, 2020, 10:11 p.m.

Shoe and pedal interface is combo dependant for sure. I tried the am9 on some wellgos I have and a no go.

Oct. 26, 2020, 8:02 a.m.

I like Shimano above all others, especially the DX M647 but they're heavy and I find Shimano spring retension lacking. Now I'm on the Look X-Track Enrage and they're amazing. The cleats are Shimano compatible, the pedals offer a nice usable platform at a reasonable weight and the max spring tension is way higher. I have a pair on each bike now.