clippy shoes

July 14, 2018, 1:40 p.m.

I have the ME7s and I like them when the sole is not peeling away from the cleat. They lasted about a year before I had to glue them. The glue isn’t working that great. Not sure I will replace them with the same because this is a common problem they have, but great shoe until they break 😀

I also picked up a pair of Diadoras for XC ish riding and they’re working great when I’m on the bike (park included) but the boa mechanism is starting to not work so well after not-a-ton of riding in them and I’m worried they’ll leave me stranded. They’re TERRIBLE for walking across super slick wood too with the minimalist hard sole.

I’ll look into you Specialized’s. Absent something better it’ll probably be ME7s again

July 14, 2018, 1:40 p.m.

Giro Terraduro HD (HV?). On my second pair in a few years now. Power transfer is at least as good as in the NorthWaves they replaced (something rather XC-ish, can't remember the model), they're really comfy and they last quite long. Have some NorthWave Celsius for winter riding, but usually just use the Terraduros with SealSkinz and wool socks since I like them so much more. Walking around, well' it's still a cycling shoe, but ok for what it is. Not intended for prolonged hikes, but do ok on the  occasional hike-a-bike section.

July 14, 2018, 2:04 p.m.

Had the Giro Terraduros - really liked the fit bit they were too stiff so my feet hurt on the descents. The sole also fell off (this was a common issue with the early versions of this shoe).

Now I have the Mavic Deemax Pro and it's perfect for me - fits really well, stiff but not too stiff, cleat sits pretty deep into the sole so you get good pedal contact with the rubber, fine in the dry/wet/warm/cold, and very high quality construction - not falling apart at all after a full year of use in all conditions.

July 14, 2018, 2:06 p.m.

I have the Cliplite 2FO with BOA. They're amazing. Best shoes I ever had. Stiff, light, comfortable, good pedal interaction. Great shoes.

July 14, 2018, 3:48 p.m.

Posted by: Bagheera

Giro Terraduro HD (HV?). On my second pair in a few years now. Power transfer is at least as good as in the NorthWaves they replaced (something rather XC-ish, can't remember the model), they're really comfy and they last quite long. Have some NorthWave Celsius for winter riding, but usually just use the Terraduros with SealSkinz and wool socks since I like them so much more. Walking around, well' it's still a cycling shoe, but ok for what it is. Not intended for prolonged hikes, but do ok on the occasional hike-a-bike section.

Finding wide enough shoes is the rub. Sooo many shoes in narrow widths, but if your feet are even moderately wide choices dry up.

No shops I've found in Vancouver stocks wide widths, so it's order blind and hope they fit.

I've got a pair of Giro HV's too. Giro's taken the odd approach of widening the shoe along the entire length. So, along with a toe box that now happily fits you also get the *bonus* of a wide midfoot, which no one needs, and an even more useful widened heel cup.

Northwaves used to be a go-to wide shoe, but newer models I've tried are on a narrower last.

Last edited by: Hepcat on July 14, 2018, 3:52 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 14, 2018, 4:20 p.m.

The biggest issue I'd say for clipless shoes, (aside from the fit), is finding a shoe that will unclip without interference, yet have enough grip that you don't eat shit when you need to bail and run. 

Hiking comfort, breathability, waterproofing, weight, etc  would be lower on the priority list IMO than being able to unclip/get footing when bailing out.

July 14, 2018, 7:23 p.m.

I really like my Terraduras. They could be a touch stiffer as I can feel my pedal when I’m grinding hard up hill. I also have a pair of ME7 Shimano shoes. The stiffness is better but the fit a bit loose. The next size down was too snug. My Giro are actually the Terradura which is the women’s version of the Terraduro. They fit more narrow than the men’s in the same size.

July 14, 2018, 9:22 p.m.

I'm desperate. 

Not that way. 

The bottom of my Lakes are all but ground away and I can't find anything that fits. 

Boo hoo.

July 14, 2018, 10:13 p.m.

The world's best fitting bike shoe is SIDI. Italian made. Last forever (seriously, I just get new ones because the sole has turned into a road shoe after 10 years. I used to just buy new mountain shoes and use the old ones for commuting. They also make wide fit. Clipping in and out is also quite good compared to others I have tried.

The only thing I don't like is that the soles are fairly hard and slippery on rocks. I have the Giro Terraduro as well and the Vibram sole sticks to everything so when you are clipping out cause you screwed the pooch climbing some slick rock face, you can usually clip out and find some footing as opposed to having your foot skid out from under you and you end up on your ass with your bike on top of you. The fit of the Giro is almost as good but not quite. Neither shoe is stiff enough for me. Both turn soft in about 1/2 season but hey, it's a mountain bike and I'm not racing anymore.

July 14, 2018, 11:12 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I'm desperate. 

Not that way. 

The bottom of my Lakes are all but ground away and I can't find anything that fits. 

Boo hoo.

Bonts fit similar to Lakes if you can find them.

RAH, I'll agree with you. My Sidi Mega's (wide) we're the best fitting shoes I've ever owned, like painted on fit.

July 15, 2018, 6:45 a.m.

I've had 3 pair of Specialized, they all fit the same,  a narrow heel/ low volume mid-foot/ wide forefoot.

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 15, 2018, 7:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2018, 5:26 p.m.

5.10 Impact Clips and Giro Codes

July 16, 2018, 11:52 a.m.

AM9s for my wide foot. I tried the ME-7's but they were too narrow.

July 16, 2018, 3:11 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Now I have the Mavic Deemax Pro and it's perfect for me - fits really well, stiff but not too stiff, cleat sits pretty deep into the sole so you get good pedal contact with the rubber, fine in the dry/wet/warm/cold, and very high quality construction - not falling apart at all after a full year of use in all conditions.

I'm on my third season with Mavic Crossride SL Elites (Crossmax Elite is probably the closest in their current lineup) and they are holding up well. A bit stiff for extended walking, but the Contagrip sole is pretty good when I have to push up something wet/muddy.  Will probably go with something less XC oriented like the Deemax next time around.

July 16, 2018, 5:25 p.m.

Every pair of shimano's I have had have torn away pretty fast.

Bought a pair of the 510 hellcats, look like a winner.  4 months of riding 2-3 days a week and still pretty much brand new.