Clipless shoes that last

Sept. 12, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

Another vote for giro.

My 510 climbing shoes used to always have soles start to peel off etc. Great rubber, kinda shit construction.

I've been using the terraduro for a few years. It has a vibram sole that lasts well and also gets good traction on smooth rocks and logs. Im 220lbs and ride the snot out of these 365 days a year through all sorts of shit weather and have yet to kill a pair.

Sept. 12, 2020, 11:50 a.m.

Posted by: wingelabs

Posted by: Taz123

Shimano AM9s for 3 seasons, they still have lots of life and I'm not easy on them.

Shimano AM9s for me too. Had my first pair for 2 seasons, retired them to commuting only because the sole wore down enough to create play and reduce release force. I bought a new pair of the same. I did replace the laces multiple times, the Salomon Quicklaces that MEC sells have worked great, only $10.

My partner's Five Ten Freerider Pros had the soles peel off as well, I was able to repair them pretty cleanly with Shoe Goo.

SHoo Goo/ aquaseal/ freesole/ seam grip is all liquid ureathane in slightly different consistancies , also sticks to shoe uppers, fix ripped gortex, glue vecro back on, gluing on a crest or patch, fix bike saddles, fixing clapped-out birkenstocks, I use a lot of it to glue dry suits, its great stuff for repairing outdoor gear so I usually keep a tube in the freezer for reapir work

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 12, 2020, 11:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 12, 2020, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Specialized shoes for me - excellent durability and they fit me very well.

this, my s-works recon after about 2 years and about 8000km:

Last edited by: Sethimus on Sept. 12, 2020, 3:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 12, 2020, 6:14 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Shimano AM9s for 3 seasons, they still have lots of life and I'm not easy on them.

SHoo Goo/ aquaseal/ freesole/ seam grip is all liquid ureathane in slightly different consistancies , also sticks to shoe uppers, fix ripped gortex, glue vecro back on, gluing on a crest or patch, fix bike saddles, fixing clapped-out birkenstocks, I use a lot of it to glue dry suits, its great stuff for repairing outdoor gear so I usually keep a tube in the freezer for reapir work

Which is your favorite product between the different liquid urethane?

Sept. 12, 2020, 7:30 p.m.

Aqua seal in the little .75 oz tubes is good for the average person, store the unused product in a sealed glass jar in the freezer to make it last longer, thaw it in a cup of boiling water for 10min and its good to us

I'm in a commercial app averaging a couple of 8oz tubes a year which is a lot of dry suit repair

I did a thread on the use of aqs if anyone cares or if you would rather, just keep fucking shit up, complain & buy new stuff

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 12, 2020, 7:34 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 13, 2020, 1 p.m.

I have done my fair share of drysuit repair, shoe repair, tent repair et al with various goo's. I am def not a throw away type and will continue to goo my shoe until the plastic that the clip attaches to breaks, last two pairs this happened as the sole was coming off for the second time.

Sept. 13, 2020, 4:44 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: XXX_er

Which is your favorite product between the different liquid urethane?

I know you’re not asking me, but in my experience, which involves a LOT of work boot repair that has to withstand use that make miuntain biking look downright gentle, Freesole is the best, and ShoeGoo being almost worthless on shoes.

Last edited by: tashi on Sept. 13, 2020, 4:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 13, 2020, 5:50 p.m.

Shoo goo is a litttle thicker so that helps if you are adding a lot of thickness but you can keep any of them in place with pieces of plastic or tape so then you do thinner layers and you have to do more layers

Sept. 14, 2020, 12:42 a.m.

I don't know about availability across the pond. Anyway. I've good experience with ion rascal shoes. There's two versions, I've the cheaper ones. 

The only thing bugging me is that the strap is starting to disintegrate at the tip after a good year, but nothing a good glue or some stitching can't control.

Sept. 14, 2020, 4:41 a.m.

Another vote for Shimano. I have a pair of low-shafted hiking style Shimano shoes that are over 10 years old by now. They were my primary cycling shoes for more than half of that time. Don't remember the model but it was nothing fancy, didn't pay much for them. By now, the shaft is showing a bit of wear and they could do with new laces. I expect them to last at least a few more years, now that they share riding duties with a lighter summer shoe.

Sept. 14, 2020, 6:56 p.m.

E6000 is an automotive sealant of the shoo-goo type. Use it like shoo goo, but it actually works and is amazingly strong. Cheap at Canadian Tire.

My pair of AM9s are still rocking after 3 solid seasons. I've also replaced the laces once with MEC Solomans, and patched up a few things with the ultra goo, but they'll have at least another season in them.

Sept. 14, 2020, 8:02 p.m.

🍻 Mammal, I’ll snag some of that next time I’m at crappy tire.

Sept. 15, 2020, 9:02 a.m.

Yeah, do it. You won't be disappointed. It's also really good to use on material that needs to retain some stretch, as it stretches pretty well when cured.  For best results, Isopropyl alcohol to clean the surfaces before you use it, and a wet finger allows you to spread it without making a mess.

Sept. 15, 2020, 10:30 a.m.

Shimano shoes do seem to last forever as do specialized ones. 

While I haven't worn the 2FO Cliplites myself I have really like the Giro Chamber IIs this season, one season isn't the best test of durability but they seem to be holding up great.

Sept. 16, 2020, 5:40 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Yeah, do it. You won't be disappointed. It's also really good to use on material that needs to retain some stretch, as it stretches pretty well when cured.  For best results, Isopropyl alcohol to clean the surfaces before you use it, and a wet finger allows you to spread it without making a mess.

Hmmmm, this has me wondering if I can use it to repair some vinyl banquette seats...