Clipless shoes that last

Sept. 10, 2020, 6:19 a.m.

Currently I am on my third pair of Five Ten Impact VXi Clipless Shoes in two years, the sole seams to come off fairly quickly. I am heavy and ride regularly. Also, a few of my favourite trails require some pushing up to them so maybe walk in them more than I should over dry creek bed type terrain. Would love for a pair to last over a year. I don't want tech looking cycling shoes either, prefer the DH look and feel. Thanks for the help,

Sept. 10, 2020, 6:28 a.m.

I've been wearing the specialized DFO cliplite for 3 seasons now and they're going up great.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Sept. 10, 2020, 7:03 a.m.

I bought a pair of five 10 Hellcats at my LBS. After 6 months same issue with the sole. The shop sent them in for warranty and replaced them free of cost. Second pair has held up pretty well.

The warranty on five10s is a year.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/service--returns-and-exchanges.html

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 10, 2020, 7:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2020, 7:28 a.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

I've been wearing the specialized DFO cliplite for 3 seasons now and they're going up great.

+1. Best shoes I've had by a very wide margin. Expensive for sure but they're incredibly tough, BOA closures mean you can make nice adjustments while riding, walkable, stiff but surprisingly light, cleat slots are well placed so you can get the cleat pretty close to flat pedal positioning. When my current 3 season old pair dies I will buy another pair.

Sept. 10, 2020, 8:13 a.m.

I've been using the ride concepts transition since last summer, they're super durable, still 100% intact. Bulky and hot but I guess that's the trade off for being bomb proof

Sept. 10, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Shimano AM9s for 3 seasons, they still have lots of life and I'm not easy on them.

Sept. 10, 2020, 9:48 a.m.

Another vote for the Specialized 2FO, I have the lace up version which are a bit cheaper than the BOA version and they have been great. This is my third season using them.

I've also had very good experience with the original Specialized Recon lace up. I've been using them for both commuting and MTB for the past 3 seasons along with the 2FO, they've also held up very well.

Sept. 10, 2020, 9:53 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Shimano AM9s for 3 seasons, they still have lots of life and I'm not easy on them.

Shimano AM9s for me too. Had my first pair for 2 seasons, retired them to commuting only because the sole wore down enough to create play and reduce release force. I bought a new pair of the same. I did replace the laces multiple times, the Salomon Quicklaces that MEC sells have worked great, only $10.

My partner's Five Ten Freerider Pros had the soles peel off as well, I was able to repair them pretty cleanly with Shoe Goo.

Sept. 10, 2020, 10:25 a.m.

Not that it's gonna help you but I've got a pair of Shimano leather Goretex boots which must be at least 15 years old and look as though they've still got another 15 years in them (judging by the lack of wear/damage).

They were used extensively in the UK for big hike-a-bike adventures so plenty of use like you put yours through. They're now mostly relegated to winter commuting or really shitty conditions.

I've also got a pair of Shimano AM9s which I've used a lot over the last two years. Apart from one small nick in the upper, they are also lasting very well.

So, based on my experience, I'd look at Shimano stuff.

Sept. 10, 2020, 10:41 a.m.

I also have  a specialized foot which is narrow thru the heel/ low volume thru the ankle and wide in the toe box, I  got 3 pair in various states of wear

I've  had a couple apir of Shimano i gave away cuz they just didnt fit

Sept. 10, 2020, 1 p.m.

another vote for shimano - been on am-9's & now 7's (basically a 9 without the lace cover) for a few years, and they've been robust. decent walkability with a less stiff, conventional profile sole, and non-dorky aesthetics. i like the elongated cleat channel as well - shoe sits flat on the pedal body if you're unclipped.

Sept. 10, 2020, 2:13 p.m.

Thanks everybody, not sure this is the right word to use but "glad" that I am not the only one loosing the soles on my fivetens as I am not tempted to try again. I have shoe goo'd the the soles back on for now. Will try the specialized and shimano and go for the one that fits better.

Sept. 10, 2020, 2:15 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Another vote for the Specialized 2FO, I have the lace up version which are a bit cheaper than the BOA version and they have been great. This is my third season using them.

I've also had very good experience with the original Specialized Recon lace up. I've been using them for both commuting and MTB for the past 3 seasons along with the 2FO, they've also held up very well.

I have these shoes as well and like them alot. Lighter and more comfy than 5.10 shoes. The soles seem to be holding up well but they are definitely not as grippy as the stealth rubber.

Sept. 10, 2020, 10:40 p.m.

Giro Chamber?

Good enough for Gwin and Rude. Although those two don’t appear to walk bikes. 

I have 5.10 Impact clips and Giro Riddance flats

Sept. 11, 2020, 10:09 a.m.

Specialized shoes for me - excellent durability and they fit me very well. 

Shimano shoes last a long time IME, but don’t fit as well. 

Specialized shoes are on my “no brainer” gear list along with Shimano drivetrains and brakes and Giro Helmets.