Clipless shoes that last

May 16, 2021, 6:28 p.m.

Plus one for 2FO shoes. They are 100% great, I feel them as if they were designed especially for my feet. I liked them so much that even when it got a little worn out, my wife even repaired it (luckily at the moment she was into shoe crafts and had one of those weird machines). Anyway, throughout my whole life, I had several 2FO pairs and never regretted buying them.

May 17, 2021, 12:55 a.m.

Shimano AM9, had to replace one of the quicklaces with Salomon but the uppers and soles are bomber.

To be honest I only replaced my previous Shimano AM45 as I wanted a change.

May 17, 2021, 7:04 a.m.

2FO for me. I dont know how long I've had mine and they're still in awesome shape.

May 17, 2021, 8:45 a.m.

I'm still on the same pair of Spec Cliplite 2FO. But they're on their third season and I'm on the hunt for something new but it doesn't look like a new version of that shoes is coming out anytime soon.

May 17, 2021, 10:32 a.m.

On the subject of shoes. Anybody else notice the lack of quality and fit ? I just opened up my new Shimano GR9,S . Bought them to replace my 5yrs old AM9,s. I have always worn a thicker shock. So I always fit my shoes too that. I put my new shoes on . And even though I test fitted a sample pair. These won,t allow the thicker socks. They are a bungee lace design as well. That,s maxxed out. And the lace cover barely attaches to the Velcro. I,m sure they will fit fine with a thinner sock. Just disappointed after 5 sets of shoes the same brand and size. That these seem to require a 1/2 size to a full size up grade.

May 17, 2021, 11 a.m.

Companies that vary their sizing from year to year can get bent. What a hassle from an online ordering perspective. After years on the Cliplite 2FO Boas I can't imagine going back to laces. As an SPD rider being able to tighten or loosen my shoe on the fly is amazing. I won't buy another pair of laced shoes for riding.

May 17, 2021, 12:01 p.m.

I've had 2 pair of Shimano I got cheap that I gave to girlfriends cuz they just didnt really fit ME

IME Specilaized are the only shoe that fits me cuz they fit low volume/ narrow in heel & ankle but wide in front and they are well enough made

there may be another shoe that fits but i'm not going to bother looking as long as Spesh doesnt change the fit

IME/IMO find "your shoe" and stick to it, especialy if you got a weird foot

and if they last thats just a bonus

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 19, 2021, 12:57 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
May 17, 2021, 12:20 p.m.

Anyone able to compare Pearl Izumi sizing to 2FO? I've worn a 42 in the Izumi for a couple pair and really should be in a 42.5 as the 42 turned out to be a "ski boot race fit" a touch too short in length. Found some 2FO in a 42.5 online and about to pull the trigger.

May 19, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I'm still on the same pair of Spec Cliplite 2FO. But they're on their third season and I'm on the hunt for something new but it doesn't look like a new version of that shoes is coming out anytime soon.

If you find anything in a 15 let me know lol

May 19, 2021, 6:05 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Anyone able to compare Pearl Izumi sizing to 2FO? I've worn a 42 in the Izumi for a couple pair and really should be in a 42.5 as the 42 turned out to be a "ski boot race fit" a touch too short in length. Found some 2FO in a 42.5 online and about to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the alert, I need the same size and just bought out the stock.

May 20, 2021, 12:01 a.m.

there is still quite a big stock of them in germany

May 20, 2021, 9:59 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: craw

If you find anything in a 15 let me know lol

Sorry best I can do is 14. https://www.pearlizumi.com/CA/en_CA/shop/men/cycling-shoes/mountain/x-alp_summit/p/15192106

May 31, 2021, 8:06 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: wingelabs

Posted by: Taz123

Shimano AM9s for 3 seasons, they still have lots of life and I'm not easy on them.

Shimano AM9s for me too. Had my first pair for 2 seasons, retired them to commuting only because the sole wore down enough to create play and reduce release force. I bought a new pair of the same. I did replace the laces multiple times, the Salomon Quicklaces that MEC sells have worked great, only $10.

My partner's Five Ten Freerider Pros had the soles peel off as well, I was able to repair them pretty cleanly with Shoe Goo.

SHoo Goo/ aquaseal/ freesole/ seam grip is all liquid ureathane in slightly different consistancies , also sticks to shoe uppers, fix ripped gortex, glue vecro back on, gluing on a crest or patch, fix bike saddles, fixing clapped-out birkenstocks, I use a lot of it to glue dry suits, its great stuff for repairing outdoor gear so I usually keep a tube in the freezer for reapir work

For anyone fixing things with "Goo", I highly recommend E6000 from Canadian Tire. I've been "gooing" bike things for 20 years now, and this stuff is twice as good as anything I've tried. It's automotive grade, so it's extra strong, and only gives a little bit of flexibility up to some of the other kinds. It's flexible enough for almost everything, and it's soooo strong.

And Shimano AM9's for me. I've used the E6000 on them many thime, and replaced the speed laces on one of the shoes with one from an older shimano shoe when it wore out. They're still running great at 4 years old and counting (all-season riding, my only pair of biking shoes).

Last edited by: mammal on May 31, 2021, 8:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.