clipless pedals?

June 24, 2008, 1 p.m.

i've been running mallets for just over a year, they have been very good, no need to do any rebuilds yet. i agree that they don't work well with all shoes as mine still rub my specializeds, but if you're not lazy like me you can grab a dremel and get them to fit well. i'd really like to get some of the new mallets as the set screws would make for a huge improvement over the otherwise useless "traction plates" or whatever they're called. my current mallet Cs are very hefty, and considering that i'm trying to lighten up my bike right now, having a 650g-ish set of pedals isn't doing much for me.

June 24, 2008, 1:29 p.m.

You must mean the 636/646 pedal.

I have two sets of 636s that I've been running since 2001 or so. Those pedals are like the cockroaches of the Shimano product line. They never die.

Although I have a dream that Shimano will revive the 636/646 design in a lighter body. It'll never happen.

Yup - mine are black and grey. Totally bomber.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 24, 2008, 1:31 p.m.

Yeah those are the ones Shirk. I thought the ATAC was the pedal, but I guess it's the ATAC Z. Anyways … both sets of Brian's pedals wound up with destroyed cages, one set lasted 2 days, the other 2 runs. Not that clipping pedals is a good thing, but I've smashed the Mallets into solid objects and have yet to break a cage.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

June 24, 2008, 1:40 p.m.

You must mean the 636/646 pedal.

I have two sets of 636s that I've been running since 2001 or so. Those pedals are like the cockroaches of the Shimano product line. They never die.

Although I have a dream that Shimano will revive the 636/646 design in a lighter body. It'll never happen.

I would run those today even with the weight penalty. They had the most tension out of any clip system out there!

June 24, 2008, 1:56 p.m.

OP: I've been running the CB Acid 2s so far this year and loving them. Good compromise between a fairly large platform and weight savings. Originally I was worried about durability, but after numerous rock smacks they are barely scratched. Just missing a little paint. Good pedal for those who have to pedal too.

Just thought I would throw my "hat" in the ring.

June 24, 2008, 3:03 p.m.

Question… why do we call them 'clipless' ? I mean, we actually do in fact 'clip' into them right, so wtf. Anyways, think I'm going back too… slipping off in dodgy situations is pretty scary. And I'm pretty sure I can dab just as quickly.

June 24, 2008, 3:13 p.m.

Question… why do we call them 'clipless' ? I mean, we actually do in fact 'clip' into them right, so wtf. Anyways, think I'm going back too… slipping off in dodgy situations is pretty scary. And I'm pretty sure I can dab just as quickly.

Toe clips/straps -[HTML_REMOVED] no need for them -[HTML_REMOVED] "clipless"

And a pic of some Christophe straps, just because.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 24, 2008, 3:20 p.m.

OP: I've been running the CB Acid 2s so far this year and loving them. Good compromise between a fairly large platform and weight savings. Originally I was worried about durability, but after numerous rock smacks they are barely scratched. Just missing a little paint. Good pedal for those who have to pedal too.

Just thought I would throw my "hat" in the ring.

I was thinking of getting some Acids to replace my Candy's. They seem to be a better compromise than the Candy's for the type of riding I do on my all mountain bike.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

June 24, 2008, 3:37 p.m.

Toe clips/straps -[HTML_REMOVED] no need for them -[HTML_REMOVED] "clipless"

And a pic of some Christophe straps, just because.

Somewhere in all my boxes of old wore out parts is a well loved set of Christophe leather straps.

June 24, 2008, 3:49 p.m.

Somewhere in all my boxes of old wore out parts is a well loved set of Christophe leather straps.

I still have my vintage Diadora road shoes with slotted cleats. And people think clipless is hard to master.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 24, 2008, 4:42 p.m.

I am trying to convince the GF she should toss the 20 yr old flats [HTML_REMOVED] toe straps [HTML_REMOVED] go clipless but she is less than enthusiastic.I found some shimano touring shoes on half price closeouts in jasper for only 50$ and I just instaled some 324 shimano flat/spd's from MEC,I got the tension turned WAY down but it might be like herding cats

June 24, 2008, 11:52 p.m.

The CB cleats are made of brass. They are designed to wear so that your pedal interface doesn't at all.

I rock Mallets when I use clippless, usually just for racing.
One thing I dont like with the Mallets is sometimes the tension spring will shift and slide a bit, and the ends of the spring will rub against the platform. Makes it a bitch to rotate the clips inside the platform and get into the clips. Easy to fix, just use a screwdriver to pry them back out untill it's not touching. Happens rarely, but still happens.
I still like them much better than Shimanos.

I really want to try out the new Mallets. Having traction pins will now make them much nicer for riding unclipped, compared to the old style.

Actually the tension spring on my right side pedal shifts at least once every ride, locking the engagement mechanism fully open. This is extremely annoying. It didn't happen for the first while that I had these, and apart from that I really like the Mallets that I have…

Also, I just used a single shim on each shoe and have had great clearance… no issues there. The shoes are just the relatively entry level M180s or whichever from a couple of years ago.

22 Pride

June 25, 2008, 11:20 a.m.

so it all worked out with SPD's she liked clipless and I got to say "I told you so" with the GF .To which she countered well back in the day the EX had put her in his shoes (3 or 4 sizes too big ,tension cranked to 11), she couldnt get out and it was a bad experiance for her .

The last GF also had misgivings on clipless cuz she had heard stories but I carefuly and methodicly went thru setup [HTML_REMOVED] a little bit of instrcution and that worked out too … at least clipless did

I gotta wonder how many people buy them and then don't know what they are doing with these things ,myself included? 10 years ago the 1st set I had were cranked to the max ,I fell over on my already hurt shoulder and then the cleat screws loosened off so I couldnt unclip … at which point you need to take the shoe off to get out

I had a buddy back then set the cleats wrong (I think shimano has since gone to better cleat design more float) and fuck his knees …he should have known better, buddy was a radiologist

June 25, 2008, 11:42 a.m.

I gotta wonder how many people buy them and then don't know what they are doing with these things ,myself included? 10 years ago the 1st set I had were cranked to the max ,I fell over on my already hurt shoulder and then the cleat screws loosened off so I couldnt unclip … at which point you need to take the shoe off to get out

I always wonder why people can't read directions anymore, is it because we can't read, or is it because we think we are too smart for them. So many questions/problems that are posted on this site could have been avoided by reading the manual that came with the product, it boggles the mind really.
:stupid:

June 25, 2008, 12:04 p.m.

The instructions in the box 10 years later are pretty reasonable but actualy when you get the pedals on a new bike you may or may not get the manual with it and I don't remember getting one .I did ask the owner (a very savy/cool well loved individual) and he said "I've had 3 pair [HTML_REMOVED] I never touch the spring tension "

10 years later the instruction sheet coming with the pedals in a box is pretty reasonable ,it tells you in 5 languages to torque the cleat screws but

it doesnt tell you what will happen if you don't

it doesnt tell you to loctite the screws , which you should (shimano loctite the cap in place)

it doesnt tell you you could wreck your knees by improperly placing the cleat or where to place the cleat ,it just tells you to find a good spot

it just tells you how to put the cleat on so it doesnt fall off

most of this stuff I learned by trial [HTML_REMOVED] error,even when I went looking I found it all a bit grey which can lead to bad experiances