City e-bike buying tips

Sept. 21, 2022, 8:15 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: XXX_er

I got an EP8 with 12 spd/ NX/ eagle and it shifts with a pretty big clunk, noisy enough that i try to back off a little when shifting cuz i can and then i got all kinds of power to get back on top of the gear after the shift is complete,

i haven't notice crazy wear, after 1 yr/ 1500 kms of tight/slow speed trail riding < .7 wear on the chain checker gauge but i thru on a new chain just becuz

Sounds like you're shifting like a long term rider. Lots of the people chewing drivetrains on ebikes aren't so gentle.

well 85nm is enough power that I can back off and just get back on that gear without losing headway,

The NX shifter for E-bike only allows 1 gear at a time, shop bro told me SRAM was trying to protect the E-biker from themselves, also i squirt the chain every 3 rides

I thot i would have more problems but running upper quality components I didnt seem to have any problems,

still I replaced  with the top quality eagle chain cuz its not much more $

Sept. 21, 2022, 11:33 a.m.

Giant Vancouver has two Medium 2020 Transend E+ Midstep on sale $2849, reg price $3559

Sept. 21, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

Like this one. https://www.bikebros.ca/2020-transend-e-lds.html

Sept. 21, 2022, 12:22 p.m.

Thanks Heckler, appreciate it.

We're not ready to buy just yet. Maybe in a few months. I started the thread to learn. No impulse buys here.

More importantly she's not ready to ride yet.

Last edited by: niels@nsmb.com on Sept. 22, 2022, 9:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2022, 12:41 p.m.

A few years back I bought an Ohm bike, with a Bionx rear hub motor.   https://www.ohmcycles.com  

My wife and I have both enjoyed it for around town cruising. the one thing my wife appreciates and uses is the regenerative breaking to slow the bike down on descents (doesn't add much power back though).  She rides slowly, hating to go fast and she loves the (apparent) control it gives her.  It's got many 1000's of km on it, trouble free.  Understand that Ohm no longer use hub motors.  Their bikes are pricey, but components are decent and quality is good. 

If you already have a decent bike though, would you consider a kit? eg https://ebikes.ca/shop/ready-to-roll-kits/rear-rtr/gmac-ready-to-roll-kit.html 

That would be my choice if I decided on a second commuter ebike. The mid drive "integrated" bikes are fine and very sweet, but each years iteration seems incompatable with the last.

Sept. 21, 2022, 6:49 p.m.

Posted by: niels@nsmb.com

No impulse buys here.

More importantly she's not ready to ride yet. 

that's what visits to the big shitty are for - test rides of in-stock bikes!   C ya later!

Sept. 21, 2022, 8:52 p.m.

Posted by: GreyHead

A few years back I bought an Ohm bike, with a Bionx rear hub motor.   https://www.ohmcycles.com  

My wife and I have both enjoyed it for around town cruising. the one thing my wife appreciates and uses is the regenerative breaking to slow the bike down on descents (doesn't add much power back though).  She rides slowly, hating to go fast and she loves the (apparent) control it gives her.  It's got many 1000's of km on it, trouble free.  Understand that Ohm no longer use hub motors.  Their bikes are pricey, but components are decent and quality is good. 

If you already have a decent bike though, would you consider a kit? eg https://ebikes.ca/shop/ready-to-roll-kits/rear-rtr/gmac-ready-to-roll-kit.html 

That would be my choice if I decided on a second commuter ebike. The mid drive "integrated" bikes are fine and very sweet, but each years iteration seems incompatable with the last.

Thanks! The Ohms are pricey indeed but they seem very nice. Good to hear they're reliable too.

A kit would be an interesting project for sure but she doesn't have a suitable bike (she needs an upright bike). I'm also thinking local bike shops would probably not be keen to work on a DIY e-bike? I want her to have the support of a local bike shop to fall back on when I'm not there or unable to solve an issue.

Sept. 22, 2022, 4:56 a.m.

I helped my neighbour buy a city e-bike a couple of years ago. He wasn't a keen cyclist but was motivated to get a city ebike for transportation and recreation.

We ended up choosing a Trek Verve+ step-thru. Solid frame, and Trek's integrated fenders, rear rack and front & rear lighting all impressed me. Shimano hydros. The battery is easily detached but also be charged on-board, which is mostly what my neighbour does.

Other factors were that the local Trek shop is great. My experience (and the shop's, who carry many other brands) is that Trek has solid warranty support and is very good at supporting products over the long haul --at least for bike-industry norms.

My neighbour absolutely loves the bike. I see him on it almost every day. He's strapped on a milk crate to carry groceries and gym gear, and the verve seems to have changed his life. He's never had a license to drive, and formerly relied solely on public transportation. That has changed.

Last edited by: skua on Sept. 22, 2022, 4:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: qualifer
Sept. 22, 2022, 7:05 a.m.

Posted by: niels@nsmb.com

I'm also thinking local bike shops would probably not be keen to work on a DIY e-bike? I want her to have the support of a local bike shop to fall back on when I'm not there or unable to solve an issue.

A LBS won't be keen to work on a DIY e-bike. If it's got a flat tire or needs a derailleur adjusted that shouldn't be an issue. If the e-bike kit is not working you are pretty much on your own. They don't have any idea how the kit works or its specs. They don't have any spare parts for it and I don't know of any LBS that actually fixes e-bike components. It's more like trouble shoot problem to motor or battery or controller then get a new one and swap the defective part. For products they sell they have the capability to do that. For a DIY kit they'd have to do a bunch of research to figure out what was going on, start talking to a company they have never dealt with in the hopes of getting info and spare parts, do the swap. Hope it works and that you don't come back complaining if it fails again even if it's not the LBS' fault.

So ya enthusiasm levels would be low.

If you want your lady to have a local support option I would buy from a LBS. If we are talking the whole Comox Valley there are quite a few nice bike shops and you should have a reasonable set of e-bike choices. DTC/DIY options will be cheaper upfront, but leave you hanging later on.

Sept. 22, 2022, 7:16 a.m.

@skua That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

@Vikb Yes buying from LBS would have our preference.

Sept. 22, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

@ Vikb  "If you want your lady to have a local support option I would buy from a LBS. If we are talking the whole Comox Valley there are quite a few nice bike shops and you should have a reasonable set of e-bike choices. DTC/DIY options will be cheaper upfront, but leave you hanging later on."  

I'd never set my lady up on a DIY option.  Support was critical.   A major part of the reason I went with the Ohm bike was that the sadly departed Jeff/Wheelthing was very positive about them and supported me for routine maintenance on it along with the rest of my fleet.  Oh I miss Jeff...

Sept. 22, 2022, 8:16 p.m.

I picked up one of those giants today and man are they heavy, makes the Bullit feel like a road bike 

I was talking to the park guys I know who use them to get around Babine park

Sept. 22, 2022, 8:23 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I picked up one of those giants today and man are they heavy, makes the Bullit feel like a road bike

Which is why I choose C-bike over E-bike…. My next one I am pining for carbon wheels to match the C-frame.

Bullit is what, 5x the price?

Last edited by: heckler on Sept. 22, 2022, 8:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 22, 2022, 8:27 p.m.

4 to 5x the price. Checks out.  Better be light as a feather.  Or an old Freeride Bullit.  Also checks out.

Sept. 23, 2022, 7:56 a.m.

Bullit is basicly a high end enduro bike with 7" of travel but there is no way around the 15-20 lbs of battery & motor so it performs very well but i wouldn't say its light as a featehr, you gotta pay attention to that extra weight on some parts of the trail where if you put a foot down in a bad spot you are going over

But its way lighter than an HT ALU Giant city bike with shitty components/ no rear suspension, I wouldn't wana ride one of those on a real mtnbike trail and thats the thing with the cheap mtn bike I never see them on the real mtn bike trail system cuz a trail with a few features is too much

the parkey told told me he thot they would suck until he rode one on the wide easy hiking roads in the park cuz they saved them a lot of time they would have spent hiking

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 23, 2022, 7:59 a.m., edited 2 times in total.