City e-bike / e-trike buying tips

Sept. 20, 2022, 10:14 a.m.

we had those too, decent build quality:

https://www.cannondale.com/en-ca/bikes/electric/e-urban/adventure-neo

Sept. 20, 2022, 10:21 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

i meant the liv allure, or the giant dailytour/anytour (same frame, dif is gear hub or derailleur, gear hub is also available with gates belt)

Yeah that looks like something that could work. But not on the Giant Canada website so probably not available here. Also very expensive starting at 3400 euros.

Sept. 20, 2022, 10:35 a.m.

that’s entry level…

those cost like 2500 last year, hellooooooo inflation

(also, WITH 19% sales tax)

Last edited by: Sethimus on Sept. 20, 2022, 10:38 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 20, 2022, 10:58 a.m.

that’s entry level…

Subtracting German 19% VAT and converting to CAD, it comes out around $3700.

The Canadian bikes mentioned upthread cost a lot less. Rad City 5 is $2300, Envo ST is $2700.

You've pointed out some possible downsides of those designs and we'll take that into account. But cost is a consideration too. Luckily we are in no hurry and we'll just take our time in the coming months to look at all options.

Sept. 20, 2022, 11:06 a.m.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-plus-electric-commuter-bike#specs-&-details

no name components, altus 7 speed, you get what you pay…

Sept. 20, 2022, 11:23 a.m.

My wife has a RadCity 5 Plus step- through so I can give some specific feedback

Pros:

Price. $2k is MUUUUUCH cheaper than the bike shop options.

Step through design is very easy to get along with, and very nice if you have a child seat on the back.

Integration. Racks etc have nice mounts built in. Yepp child seat clicks right into the rear rack. The front basket design is good, I have come to really appreciate it not turning with the wheel. Lights are pretty effective and come on automatically. Nice selection of various bags etc that’s are sizes right for the racks/baskets.

Support via Velofix has been very easy.

Cons:

Somehow she shorted the battery by brushing the charge port with her key. They’ve either eliminated the fuse or buried it (depending on exactly when it was made) so the t had to be replaced. They covered it but it took a WHILE to arrive. They’re not that quick at shipping stuff out.

Brakes kept sinking to the bar if it wasn’t used regularly. They’d adjust, usually. There are some washers under the caliper that let you fine tune the caliper position but it was a little too far out. Removing the washers and swapping to metallic pads sorted it out and they’ve been very good since. Service cost was covered by them I think.

Bike shop employees sometimes give you the stink eye when you roll one in the shop and they’re not too keen to work on them.

The level of components doesn’t look very good to us as bike fuckers but for a city bike they’re more appropriate really. We haven’t had any shifting issues with either of our bikes.  The hub motor feels fine to me, not much point in striving for a “natural” feel for something that’s doing most of the work for you IMO.  

Like someone said, they’re Kia’s, not Mercedes’. As much as I’d love to drive my kids around in an E63 wagon, an Elantra will get the job done just as well. Same goes for city bikes IMO.

Last edited by: tashi on Sept. 20, 2022, 11:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2022, 11:53 a.m.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-plus-electric-commuter-bike#specs-&-details

Sure but it doesn't need to be high end or ultra light or whatever, it just needs to work and have reasonable durability.

I'm personally not at all deterred by an Altus derailleur on a bike for light city use and 7 speed is more than enough. Her old commuter has 7 speed Tourney, my own commuter has 8 speed Acera.

Sept. 20, 2022, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

My wife has a RadCity 5 Plus step- through so I can give some specific feedback

Thanks, very helpful!

Sept. 20, 2022, 1:07 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Sure but it doesn't need to be high end or ultra light or whatever, it just needs to work and have reasonable durability.

I'm personally not at all deterred by an Altus derailleur on a bike for light city use and 7 speed is more than enough. Her old commuter has 7 speed Tourney, my own commuter has 8 speed Acera.

in my experience anything under deore will wear out much faster. ebikes, if used as 1 or half a car replacement usually eat quite a lot of kilometers. with the higher torque the drivetrain gets used up much quicker than on normal bikes due to the high torque.

Sept. 20, 2022, 1:57 p.m.

in my experience anything under deore will wear out much faster. ebikes, if used as 1 or half a car replacement usually eat quite a lot of kilometers. with the higher torque the drivetrain gets used up much quicker than on normal bikes due to the high torque.

Something to keep in mind, thanks.

Sept. 20, 2022, 8:54 p.m.

I got an EP8 with 12 spd/ NX/ eagle and it shifts with a pretty big clunk, noisy enough that i try to back off a little when shifting cuz i can and then i got all kinds of power to get back on top of the gear after the shift is complete,

i haven't notice crazy wear, after 1 yr/ 1500 kms of tight/slow speed trail riding < .7 wear on the chain checker gauge but i thru on a new chain just becuz

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 20, 2022, 8:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2022, 9:53 p.m.

Giant’s brand of city bikes is called Momentum. Heres is thier simple Dutch grandma bike. Available at Giant dealers but Giant Vancouver on 4th and Burrard may have the best available inventory.

https://www.momentum-biking.com/ca/bikes/urban-bikes/leisure-bikes

Last edited by: heckler on Sept. 20, 2022, 9:58 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 21, 2022, 1:40 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I got an EP8 with 12 spd/ NX/ eagle and it shifts with a pretty big clunk, noisy enough that i try to back off a little when shifting cuz i can and then i got all kinds of power to get back on top of the gear after the shift is complete,

i haven't notice crazy wear, after 1 yr/ 1500 kms of tight/slow speed trail riding < .7 wear on the chain checker gauge but i thru on a new chain just becuz

Sounds like you're shifting like a long term rider. Lots of the people chewing drivetrains on ebikes aren't so gentle.

Sept. 21, 2022, 7:03 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Giant’s brand of city bikes is called Momentum. Heres is thier simple Dutch grandma bike. Available at Giant dealers but Giant Vancouver on 4th and Burrard may have the best available inventory.

https://www.momentum-biking.com/ca/bikes/urban-bikes/leisure-bikes

Thank you, yes those look good. Nothing in stock anywhere on the island according to the site but we'll keep an eye on it.

Sept. 21, 2022, 7:25 a.m.

Oh, the Island life…. Giant Vancouver has stock.  Get it while its still available.