Chromag Wide Angle

Feb. 14, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

68 degree head angle (static?), say 71 degrees in use and 74 degrees if you hit something hard.

F**k that.

Those numbers feel pretty good everywhere I've ridden my TRL;). Especially with a 150mm Pike.

Shed head!

Feb. 14, 2015, 2:23 p.m.

Head angle is just one number. My 68 deg HA Kona Process 134 rips.

But that back end of your bike for the most part maintains that angle.

Anyway there's no point in me arguing with the hardtail riding masochist weirdos :) You should have seen me trying to ride my pumptrack bike on this little dual race the Squamish guys ran. Holy shit it was pitiful. I just cannot ride them anymore.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 14, 2015, 10:44 p.m.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 27.5" Surly Instigator build until I discovered this bike was coming out - my Ferrari Red M/L's pre-booked!

i would have opted for black myself; as morgan says i rejoice in the absence of color

they give you an eta?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 14, 2015, 11:05 p.m.

I've really like my Stylus and Aperture frames. I've also really liked my '99 Kona Pahoeohoeohoeohoe, Planet X Armadillo, Cotic Soul, Dialled Bikes 853 Prince Albert and my current Whishart that I designed the geometry for. In other words when it comes to hardtails I think there's a big element of jumping on them and enjoying the simplicity / challenge and adapting accordingly. Maybe that has something to do with Chromag playing safe with the geometry of their bikes (have they changed in the last 5 years?).
I'm sure the new frame will be great, but personally I'm loving riding a bike with a much slacker HA and the more progressive UK designers have been going the same way (On-One, Stanton, BTR etc). I'm also 'only' running 140mm travel (with quite a ramp up towards the end of the fork travel), partly for the reason JCL alluded to.

Speaking of BTR, I'd absolutely love to try this out. It may be utter shite but mad props for doing something interesting:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 14, 2015, 11:26 p.m.

(have they changed in the last 5 years?).

they steepened the seat tube angle a couple of degrees, i think that's about it?

i'm biased because i've been riding their frames for ever, but i think they geo has remained essentially unchanged because it is/(feels) perfect.

intuitively, what jamie says makes sense: with only front suspension, the change in hta should make any hardtail feel mad sketchy on steeps and big hits - but it doesn't

at least for me, the lack of rear suspension makes the bike more predictable overall, certainly enough to offset the constant geo changes wrought by the front fork

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 15, 2015, 12:30 a.m.

intuitively, what jamie says makes sense: with only front suspension, the change in hta should make any hardtail feel mad sketchy on steeps and big hits - but it doesn't

at least for me, the lack of rear suspension makes the bike more predictable overall, certainly enough to offset the constant geo changes wrought by the front fork

this. and I don't know why. in any thing but the gnarliest lines I have more confidence on my surface then on any of the dullys I have owned in the last few years. the ht may not be faster but I have more fun riding it.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 15, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

this. and I don't know why. in any thing but the gnarliest lines I have more confidence on my surface then on any of the dullys I have owned in the last few years. the ht may not be faster but I have more fun riding it.

what he said…. super gnar requires a slower speed / more calculation or maybe the occaisional opt out, but overall fun factor is higher. I got a dually last september, it's already gone because fun factor went down…

Feb. 15, 2015, 10:53 a.m.

they steepened the seat tube angle a couple of degrees, i think that's about it?

i'm biased because i've been riding their frames for ever, but i think they geo has remained essentially unchanged because it is/(feels) perfect.

All hail Chromag.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 15, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

Weirdos.

Go put some 2x4's in place of your cars rear springs and drive the S2S on a wet day. It'll be predictable alright, predictably in the Howe Sound!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 15, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

i would have opted for black myself; as morgan says i rejoice in the absence of color

they give you an eta?

I've never been a fan of blackandyellowblackandyellowblackandyellow, myself. ETA is end of March/early April.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Feb. 15, 2015, 4:50 p.m.

they give you an eta?

Giving up on the 29er?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 15, 2015, 10:48 p.m.

Speaking of BTR, I'd absolutely love to try this out. It may be utter shite but mad props for doing something interesting:

btr's are badass. would love to try one as well. my 65* ragley certainly doesn't feel too slack. the less radical ranger trail bike looks neat:

Feb. 16, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

this used to be on youtube, but I can be bothered to track it down.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/102365/

still the best "edit" ever.

also my favorite vehicle I have owned to date has been my '88 F150 heavy half with a 300 6cyl, 4 speed manual transmission. topped out at 80km/h but never let me down. so there. ha.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 16, 2015, 1:40 p.m.

this used to be on youtube, but I can be bothered to track it down.

still the best "edit" ever.

That was AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 16, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

Yeah hardtails can't possibly be fun being ridden on DH trails:rolleyes:……..Jinya is a specimen though.

Shed head!