Chromag clipless

Nov. 17, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

I wouldn't know, I've never adjusted the tension on any of the Shimano SPD pedals I've used over the last two decades, they always feel good enough to me, not too loose, not too tight. However I'm someone who adapts to small differences pretty easily, so what you may find a significant difference I may not even notice.

Nov. 17, 2022, 12:13 p.m.

I think they come set to 9, I had trouble getting out fast enough so I re-adjusted to 5 or 6,  release is gona depend on how long your foot is to some degree, a longer foot is a longer lever, easier to get out

I've fiddled with SPD tension for a couple of GF's who were wary of being entrapped, I turn the screws down to 2 or 3 clicks and show them how to get out so they can practise being a new user, the former level 3 ski instructer said " this is just like " when I taught new skiers to get in/out of ski bindings

I have an old fart buddy who refuses to use SPD cuz he doesnt wana be entrapped sez he would rather use toe straps that won't entrap him ;) i didnt even bother

another guy said SPD's were realllly inconsistant so i asked did you adjust the tension on both sides ... apparently he only did 1 side

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 17, 2022, 12:28 p.m., edited 5 times in total.
Nov. 19, 2022, 5:21 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I have an old fart buddy who refuses to use SPD cuz he doesnt wana be entrapped sez he would rather use toe straps that won't entrap him ;) i didnt even bother

It interesting how many people have told me they don't want to get stuck in SPDs, when actually I find they're easier to get out of (I can twist a loaded foot out, can't do that with flats). My foot comes off my flats in a year as many times as I've gotten stuck in SPDs in 25 years. I just run the spring tension really light. 

Also not too fussed to encourage people to try... it's a learning curve, and people don't miss what they don't know.

Nov. 19, 2022, 6:29 p.m.

Posted by: Squint

Posted by: XXX_er

It interesting how many people have told me they don't want to get stuck in SPDs, when actually I find they're easier to get out of (I can twist a loaded foot out, can't do that with flats). My foot comes off my flats in a year as many times as I've gotten stuck in SPDs in 25 years. I just run the spring tension really light. 

Also not too fussed to encourage people to try... it's a learning curve, and people don't miss what they don't know.

Haven't used clipless since March 4th 2019 for medical reasons aka following medical instructions.  Fine with things as they are riding flats as don't notice anything nor care to worry about it.

Nov. 19, 2022, 9 p.m.

I stopped using SPD's for the mtb when i blew the acl so i dragged an old pair of 661 axo dually out of the closet

then I got the e-bike and a new acl but somehow Flats & e-bikes just go together IMO

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 19, 2022, 9:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 25, 2022, 4:12 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

xt's appear to be a better pedal (unless you want colors). lighter / cheaper / easier engagement / proven bombproof.

Yeah. He got years out of the Deore or lower trim Trail pedals. I've had my XTR Trails for ~ a decade. Have Saint clips now too for the big bike.

Oddly enough I put my Chromag flats back on my bike this month after getting a pair of 5.10 Trailcross GTX shoes.

Last edited by: Endur-Bro on Nov. 25, 2022, 4:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.