Chris king iso 135m bolt on problems help please.

July 27, 2009, 6:38 p.m.

I'm running a chris king iso 135mm bolt on ss drive shell + funn bolts noticed some play a couple weeks after having it built up at dizzy cycles.
I took my rotor off adjusted the preload finger tight retightened the bolt.
Now I can't get the drive side funn! bolt to back out
everytime I turn it and hold the non drive side to stop it from moving the axle just spins and makes the non drive side funn bolt back out.. tried to make it do the same thing for the drive side which worked a little bit but it got stuck and started making the non drive side funn bolt back out again.. No idea wth is going on looked in the manual nothing of help I tried loosening the preload and it's still seized up

anyone know how to fix this issue so I can get a ride in? thanks.

:rolleyes: Less bitchin' more ridin', eh! :smokey:

July 27, 2009, 7:04 p.m.

are you trying to back it out while it is in the frame? If so try tightening the opposite side to hold the axle and remove the entire fun bolt them remove the other one. When you get them out put never seize on the fun bolts

good luck

July 27, 2009, 7:10 p.m.

-Stick a 2.5mm* allen key in your bearing adjuster (please take rotor off first)

-Stick an 8mm allen key in your fun bolt

-Profit. (i.e. turn)

^If this does not make sense then take your wheel to your shop.

^^King hubs (and many other hubs)loosen up a bit when you build them (tension on the shell). You should always tighten the bearing tension right after you build a wheel and after your first ride.

*If you have an older King hub the allen is imperial not metric.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

July 27, 2009, 7:12 p.m.

no it's not on the frame and I did tighten the non drive side bolt all the way down and got the drive side to back out a bit but not enough to get it back on the evil imp have to remove the derailleur just to get it off. I tried taking the non drive side bolt all the way out the drive side just spins the axle it won't back out for some reason.. ?

July 27, 2009, 7:19 p.m.

no it's not on the frame and I did tighten the non drive side bolt all the way down and got the drive side to back out a bit but not enough to get it back on the evil imp have to remove the derailleur just to get it off. I tried taking the non drive side bolt all the way out the drive side just spins the axle it won't back out for some reason.. ?

Put 2.5mm allen key into bearing adjuster (bearing adjust should be tightened down on axle).

Put 8mm allen key into fun bolt.

Use 2.5mm allen key to hold axle from spinning.

Turn 8mm allen key to remove fun bolt.

If you cannot use the 2.5mm allen key to accomplish this then I would suggest a trip to your shop where they -SHOULD- have soft jaws or an axle vice to hold the axle in place without damaging it while they remove the Fun bolt.

Alternately, Jake lives nearby and I haven't seen a good "I tried to fix ___ (expensive bike part goes here) with some Vice Grips and a Hammer" thread in a long time.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

July 27, 2009, 7:26 p.m.

i'm not that dumb im using the right tools otherwise do you really think I'd mess with a hub that runs 7-8 bills at local shops.
I just think I'm gonna need the soft jaws drive side starts backing out but only like 4mm before it's too stiff on the drive side, I know the 2.5 and a allen key won't be enough I'll take some chunks out of it.

July 27, 2009, 7:48 p.m.

yeah $#!t 2.5 isn't strong enough [HTML_REMOVED] I don't have soft jaws. :flame: lucky the bolt held up.8)

July 27, 2009, 8:44 p.m.

I meant for you to put the wheel in the frame tighten the side you can remove the fun bolt
and try to loosen the trouble side.

July 28, 2009, 9:49 a.m.

I meant for you to put the wheel in the frame tighten the side you can remove the fun bolt
and try to loosen the trouble side.

BINGO!!

This is very unconventional but this will work.

Remove your brake rotor.

Take out the one fun bolt.

Lay your frame down on its side with the non drive side up.

Install your wheel on the outside of the frame with the funbolt from the inside between the two dropouts. This will stop the axle from spinning.

Loosen the locked in fun bolt.

Loosen the bolt holding the wheel on the outside of the frame.

Smile because you are now done and remember not to tighten funbolts when the wheel is not installed on a bike.

As a guy that has some Kings with funbolts, I recommend a little grease on the threads when ever the wheel is removed.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

July 28, 2009, 9:58 a.m.

Alternately, Jake lives nearby and I haven't seen a good "I tried to fix ___ (expensive bike part goes here) with some Vice Grips and a Hammer" thread in a long time.

-D

:lol:

July 31, 2009, 4:55 p.m.

BINGO!!

This is very unconventional but this will work.

Remove your brake rotor.

Take out the one fun bolt.

Lay your frame down on its side with the non drive side up.

Install your wheel on the outside of the frame with the funbolt from the inside between the two dropouts. This will stop the axle from spinning.

Loosen the locked in fun bolt.

Loosen the bolt holding the wheel on the outside of the frame.

Smile because you are now done and remember not to tighten funbolts when the wheel is not installed on a bike.

As a guy that has some Kings with funbolts, I recommend a little grease on the threads when ever the wheel is removed.

that's the problem won't work 'cause it won't back out far enough on the drive side to fit the drop out it's a evil imperial.

July 31, 2009, 6:49 p.m.

Still not fixed eh?!

Find any other bike to use the drop out or a piece of flat bar metal with a cut out in it.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Aug. 2, 2009, 1:56 a.m.

no man not fixed yet I'll get one of my buddies to bring their bike up but i'm not holding my breath.. I have the king tool to rip it all apart and figure it out just need a chain whip.. other than that scr***d till next season..

Aug. 2, 2009, 6:50 a.m.

for a chain whip just use an old piece of chain and a set of vice grips Thats all I use and works everytime

Aug. 2, 2009, 3:20 p.m.

for a chain whip just use an old piece of chain and a set of vice grips Thats all I use and works everytime

Now that's something I didn't think of.. I'll go find a dumpster bike my old chain is sitting in rocky point somewhere.. 4 bent links golden spike days coasted home :lol: