Cheeta Derailuer hanger,

Jan. 18, 2004, 5:42 p.m.

I recently purchased a Proline DH frame and wound up breaking the derailuer hanger. I bought the frame knowing hangers would be hard to find, so probably just going to machine up one myself. However I wanted to know if anyone out there has one kicking around or possibly know of where I can get one.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Jan. 18, 2004, 5:47 p.m.

I broke my Planet X derailleur hanger, so I got my LBS to order me 4 or 5 hangers from Planet X :) Now I have a bunch of them!

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Jan. 18, 2004, 5:51 p.m.

hahaha i told you that would happen…

it suks, but hopefully someone here has a bit of inside knowledge or better yet a parts source….

:(

Jan. 18, 2004, 6:05 p.m.

No doubt. Its my fault too. I should have replaced the derailuer. I was laughing about it the day before, "it has 2" of side to side play". The derailuer bounced into the spokes and ripped 4 spoked out the wheel, and mangled the derailuer, and snapped the hanger!

Jan. 18, 2004, 6:13 p.m.

Maybe GRC could jerry-rig one up for you?

Jan. 19, 2004, 6:17 a.m.

What does it look like? Many bikes use a "standard" type derailleur hanger; they usually have a designation like "Type H". If yours is one, then you could find a replacement from another bike manufacturer, like Norco.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 19, 2004, 6:53 a.m.

i had the same problem with my prowler. I'd help ya out but you have a horizontal d.o. and mine is vertical. Just ask around at as many forums as you can, it seemed to me as though more people have proline dh's than prowlers so you might find it easier than I did. Check ridemonkey, pinkbike, mtbr, here, hcor.net, dropmachine.com, and any others you could think of. good luck

Beauty is in the eye of the rider.

Jan. 19, 2004, 5:57 p.m.

I thought I read Cheeta went out of business. If that is the case you might have to make your own:(

Jan. 19, 2004, 6:23 p.m.

Yes Cheeta went out of business. Although there are rumours that Cheeta might come back into business. The frames are really nice, one of the nicest DH bikes I've ridden, so who knows. I have started to machine my own hangar, doesn't look too tricky, a drill press, a band saw and a file should be plenty. Thanks for the help guys, I'll continue to post on other forums.

Jan. 20, 2004, 2:10 p.m.

A year or so ago I was in a very small shop down on broadway near cambie and they and some cheetah frames on the wall ,maybe check them out?

Jan. 20, 2004, 6:56 p.m.

Thanks for the lead, I will look into whether that shop has anything lieing around.

Jan. 20, 2004, 8:05 p.m.

Originally posted by Timmigrant
Yes Cheeta went out of business. Although there are rumours that Cheeta might come back into business. The frames are really nice, one of the nicest DH bikes I've ridden, so who knows. I have started to machine my own hangar, doesn't look too tricky, a drill press, a band saw and a file should be plenty. Thanks for the help guys, I'll continue to post on other forums.

You'll have to find the correct tap, as I recall the thread isn't that common.

One of the guys I work with had to make up his own hanger for his AlpineStars years ago.

Jan. 20, 2004, 8:16 p.m.

According to this Pinkbike article:
http://www.pinkbike.com/stories/testprowler.htm

Calgary Cycle sold Cheeta, so it is possible they have parts left.

Jan. 20, 2004, 9 p.m.

Originally posted by XXX_er
A year or so ago I was in a very small shop down on broadway near cambie and they and some cheetah frames on the wall ,maybe check them out?

that was Mighty Riders. They only had like 2 or 3, and thats all they ever had.

Jan. 21, 2004, 9:50 a.m.

I had heard about Mighty Riders. I haven't contacted them, but I have heard from a couple sources that they might have something floating around. I think I am just going to continue building my own hangar. Criag my largest concern is exactly what you said, finding that damn tap. I know the machine shop here has no metric taps, and I am almost certain that it will be a metric thread, just crazy we're in a metric country and can't tap and a metric hole! AKA says they have the right tap, so I'll drop by there this afternoon and tap away.

Any thoughts on a steel hangar, this will be my next project if my 6061 aluminum hangar works out? I know the hangar is designed to break away to prevent damage to the frame and derailuer, but I couldn't care less about the Deore derailuers I run. My only concern is damaging the frame, which I think will be hard to do.