cheap DH bike?

April 17, 2012, 10:49 p.m.

Right now all I have is an AM bike (Norco Range) but want to do some DH at Whistler and Sun Peaks this summer, but i dont really have an extra $4k to spend on a DH bike - is it a good idea to buy a used DH bike for like $1500 to bring to the bike park every now and then? Renting can get expensive if you are going fairly often and i also dont want to spend too much since i will probably only end up going once every few weeks or so.

Whats the best option for someone who only rides the bike park once in a while? i would just ride my Range at the bike park, but i would rather not beat the crap out of it.

April 17, 2012, 11:03 p.m.

It can be a good idea but please please please check the frame for cracks. Even take a flashtorchlight or whatever they are called here and check really closely if you are not sure. Don't buy a dirty bike as it might be hiding the cracks. I've seen so many cracked aluminium frames in the last few years it's ridiculous.

Please please please….etc….

Edit - if you can stretch to a couple of grand, there's possibly still old clearout bikes available which will have warranty.

Or this as a used example, and a regular poster on here:

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=33625[HTML_REMOVED]title=2011-driver-8-2c-lowest-price-anywhere[HTML_REMOVED]cat=13

There's so many crappy bikes around for a grand to 1500 that it's a minefield.

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 18, 2012, 12:31 a.m.

Go the route you're thinking. Get a cheap, used DH bike. Look for something with a good reputation for strength. I.e don't look for really abused FRO bikes. Old Cove Shocker's seem to hold up, Yeti 303R-DH's too, and I think the Santa Cruz V-10 (or Driver 8 ) have a good reputation. There seem to be plenty of old Specialized Demo's and big suspension Kona's alive and well too. Someone else will have to say something about the Norco, Giant and Trek DH bikes, but there seems to be plenty for sale. I don't know what else you can think of, just start looking and searching the reputation on strength.

Minimize your search down to British Colombia, type in your frame size and then add Boxxer after. Then do the same again with Fox 40. Then Dorado. Then 888's/Triple Eight's. That should find you plenty of complete DH bikes around locally within your price range and in your size. I would probably set the price to $3,100. that way you cut out the real top of the line stuff, but leave in the bikes that you might be able to haggle. When I bought my complete DH bike, I haggled the guy down 900 bucks or something ridiculous from his asking price. It's worth making an offer in my opinion.

April 18, 2012, 7:04 a.m.

WORCA Bike Swap

The home of the $1000 downhill bike. Take your AM bike along an go for a spin on the valley trails if they are clear of snow.

It was fairly easy to spot the obvious heaps of crap last year amongst a large selection.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

April 18, 2012, 7:32 a.m.

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/96-taka.aspx

Same frame as the iron horse before they went out of business. Not top end spec but at the same time it's not some worn out DH bike that has been abused in the bike Park for a few years.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 18, 2012, 12:20 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'll be checking the Pinkbike and NSMB classifieds on a regular basis to see if I can find a sweet deal - now the hard part, convincing my GF that I need a second bike after just getting my first one last summer!

April 18, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

Or this as a used example, and a regular poster on here:

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=33625[HTML_REMOVED]title=2011-driver-8-2c-lowest-price-anywhere[HTML_REMOVED]cat=13

:beer:

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 18, 2012, 1:18 p.m.

SORCA swap is on this weekend too.
http://www.sorca.ca/gear-swap-update-4-days-to-go/

April 18, 2012, 6:05 p.m.

The bike Bryce has,is a smokin deal.If its still available.

April 18, 2012, 6:40 p.m.

The bike Bryce has,is a smokin deal.If its still available.

Wish I had the money (and GF approval) to buy this right now…

April 18, 2012, 7:14 p.m.

Wish I had the money (and GF approval) to buy this right now…

Hurry up and get both :devil:.

April 20, 2012, 1:03 p.m.

Old Cove Shocker's seem to hold up

Only the 2008+ models. All the older ones cracked - mine had a crack on pretty much every single weld on the front triangle.

I'd look for the lower end, newer bikes that haven't been ridden hard or spent time in whistler. Specialized bighits come to mind..

April 29, 2012, 6:06 p.m.

OP here - I've decided to up my budget a bit and to consider lower end new (originally was just looking at used) DH bikes. The Kona Operator and Specialized Status come to mind - is it better to spend $3000 on a low end NEW DH bike or a higher end USED DH bike?

Not looking to spend too much more than $3500ish after tax

BTW - just looking for something to use at the bike park, I am not overly skilled so you wont catch me doing any huge drops or anything too gnarly

April 29, 2012, 6:39 p.m.

See my post above!

OP here - I've decided to up my budget a bit and to consider lower end new (originally was just looking at used) DH bikes. The Kona Operator and Specialized Status come to mind - is it better to spend $3000 on a low end NEW DH bike or a higher end USED DH bike?

Not looking to spend too much more than $3500ish after tax

BTW - just looking for something to use at the bike park, I am not overly skilled so you wont catch me doing any huge drops or anything too gnarly

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 29, 2012, 6:52 p.m.

If you want to spend $3500 and thrash a bike in the Park, for me it'd be a no-brainer to buy new. The warranty / support could be pretty useful! If I was spending $1400 and it was the choice of that Airborne above or a decent used bike, it'd be a trickier decision. You can still buy plenty of good used bikes for that money, but the Airborne is pretty basic to say the least. It's still a bargain though for a new bike.

treezz
wow you are a ass