Charging money for cardboard bike boxes

May 29, 2017, 11:18 a.m.

What's up with that? Most shops in Van will give them to you for free, but used cardboard bike boxes in Whistler seem to carry value.

I went into one shop in Whistler and they gave me one, but said they normally ask for a six-pack. And I just saw one for sale on a Whistler Facebook group.

Obviously it's anyone's right to sell something if they can, but we're talking about something someone got for free with a new bike that would otherwise end up in the bin.

May 29, 2017, 11:22 a.m.

Supply and demand.. lots of people coming and going there.  Been like that in Whis for as long as I can remember.

May 30, 2017, 6:53 p.m.

A couple of North Shore shops tried to charge me when I asked around earlier this year.

I eventually got one for free from the very nice people at MEC....

May 30, 2017, 7:32 p.m.

Housing is pricey in the S2S area

May 31, 2017, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

What's up with that? Most shops in Van will give them to you for free, but used cardboard bike boxes in Whistler seem to carry value.

I went into one shop in Whistler and they gave me one, but said they normally ask for a six-pack. And I just saw one for sale on a Whistler Facebook group.

Obviously it's anyone's right to sell something if they can, but we're talking about something someone got for free with a new bike that would otherwise end up in the bin.

What's with that? It's where you live now, no more free ride, you must pay!! Not the place I moved to 20 years ago... still some but Vancouverites used to be chill and cool. Now it's full of snobs. Whistler is even worst, that's the capital of lame snobs. I go to other ski resorts and people are so nice, ready to help, even invite you to their place for drinks!!! Go to Whistler and they charge you to take a piss. I do love the mountain, to bad the people are ultra sucky.

May 31, 2017, 1:37 p.m.

Posted by: nick

Vancouverites used to be chill and cool. Now it's full of snobs.

Yes and no. Vancouver's always been a bit "cliquey". Tough if you're an outsider but now, yeah. It just blows. If not for the riding/skiing/sailing opportunities......

I hear Smitters is nice.