Changing Spring and Travel on Marzocchi Z1 Coil

March 24, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

Considering this fork for the new bike but they come as stock as 160mm and I may need a 150mm fork depending on which frame I go.

Has anyone done changed the travel on the new Z1 coil? There doesn’t seem to be much info online and Marzocchi don’t actually have the manual on the website.

Judging by the diagram and https://nsmb.com/articles/marzocchi-bomber-z1-coil-29-160mm/, spring swap looks easy, it’s just undo top cap, pull out old and put in new having greased it.

If I want to reduce the travel on the fork from 160mm to 150mm (they come as 160 only by the looks of things) , it looks like you have to drop the lowers off and swap the spacers round? Not overly complicated but do i need any special tools? Circlip pliers?

Cheers

Dan

March 24, 2021, 2:19 p.m.

Yep, you're right.

I can change travel in about 10 minutes more than it takes to do a lower leg service. I've changed my travel on a whim just to see if I like it better shorter or longer. The bottom clip doesn't need circlip pliers. You just need whatever socket size the top cap requires, and 10 and 13mm sockets. Remove the clip and spring shaft. Pull the spring. Swap spacers. Grease, oil, and re-assemble. No spare parts, like changing air shafts.

I will suggest though, that the spring rate changes it's feeling a bit when you change travel. My fork/spring for my weight feels just a little too soft at 150mm, a little stiff at 170mm and just right at 160mm. Really nitpicking there though.

Plushness is amazing.

Simplicity of adjustments is welcomed by me.

It's quite heavy, but reliable - and the crown is strong enough to meet ebike standards.

All in all, a great fork.