Chainlines

June 29, 2018, 5:57 p.m.

So after staring at my new Warden frame and a box of parts for the past six months or so I'm finally getting around to building up the new thrillcraft. Originally I was going to used my old drivetrain but the interwebs came up with a too good to pass up deal on a complete SLX 1x11 gruppo so I decided to forgo my 2x11 love affair and see what the new girl in town was all about. In doing a loose setup I noticed that my chainline seems less than ideal on the bottom end. I'm not running any spacers on the drive side BB so there's not much I can do there. I'm starting to think about running a granny on the inside of my cranks and just swapping it over manually for more difficult climbs where I may want to spin instead. 

How do you guys find your chainline from a climbing and shifting into the lower gears perspective on 1x setups?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 29, 2018, 7 p.m.

What crankset are you running? I used some chainring spacers on my Shimano 4-bolt cranks when I was running 1x on my old Delirium. Spaces the ring inward from a few mm depending on what spacers you can find.

Something like these:

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/spacer-chainring-10mm-id-4-pack

Last edited by: shoreboy on June 29, 2018, 7:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 29, 2018, 7:56 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

What crankset are you running? I used some chainring spacers on my Shimano 4-bolt cranks when I was running 1x on my old Delirium. Spaces the ring inward from a few mm depending on what spacers you can find.

Something like these:

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/spacer-chainring-10mm-id-4-pack

slx cranks. those look like they would do the trick - thanks!

June 29, 2018, 11 p.m.

I am running an XT 11 speed setup on my new Warden frame. Xtr cranks with a one-up chainring. The Shimano BB specs a spacer on the drive side for the 73mm BB. I chose to put the spacer on the non drive-side, since it improves the chain line in the larger cogs where I spend most of my time. The bike shifts fine through all the gears and does not drop the chain when back-pedalling.