Chainless question

Feb. 24, 2004, 7:22 p.m.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I had no clue for which one to put it into.
I've heard all about the chainless DHing on A-line and I myself has done it and loved it. Today as I was riding home my chain snapped and made me think. What whould happen to a big Vpp bike like the V10 if it had no chain? I guess it would just continue as if you wern't peadaling because the anti bob system is all part of the pedaling so if you have noting to create the bob then you don't need anything to control it. Also while on a dullie and if you loose your chain does the bike's rear suspention handel any differently at all?

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Feb. 24, 2004, 8:46 p.m.

I ride whistler on my dualie with no chain all the time. for some reason I can't pedal though:???:

minus signature

Feb. 24, 2004, 10:24 p.m.

shouldnt matter
i ride chainless on my s8 at whistler half the time cause my drivetrain is pretty screwey.
nothing noticeably different. with practice you can go just as fast as with a chain, then slap your chain back on with a big ring and then you really start to move

you all have NO lives

Feb. 25, 2004, 12:08 p.m.

the new run at Esher Shore is possible chainless

pump down 8 foot high roll in tower, series of 4 double jumps getting progressively larger, high speed S berms, big ol double jump, hip jump and gap jump to berm over old treestump

chainless is the sh*t :thepimp:

Feb. 25, 2004, 12:59 p.m.

Yeah, that was looking sweet, bandit. Turned out OK from the sounds of it
:thepimp:
Not enough locations to do the chainless thing around here, but came across a couple this past weekend.

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

Feb. 25, 2004, 1:11 p.m.

Chainless is the way to go for DH riding, I started by accident (My bike ate its own drivetrain in Whistler) and ended up putting in 1/2 a season of chainless riding. It shouldn't effect your suspension at all aside from eliminating all pedal feedback.

I'm planning on spending a good chunk of time this year without a chain on the bike, I found it smooths out your riding as you need to use the terrain to control your speed instead of your pedals and brakes. also as stated by the ridiculator, once you run chainless for a while and put the drivetrain back on your bike, you'll move even faster because you'll know how to use the terrain AND pedal.

:coo: biking for the Lord. :coo:

Feb. 25, 2004, 1:24 p.m.

why not go brakeless too??

then you can learn to use trees to learn how to slowdown/stop.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Feb. 25, 2004, 1:25 p.m.

Originally posted by Late Bloomer
Yeah, that was looking sweet, bandit. Turned out OK from the sounds of it
:thepimp:
Not enough locations to do the chainless thing around here, but came across a couple this past weekend.

you can go from 1/3 of the way down 27 all the way back to your car w/out a chain.

there are a few really wet/flat or uphill spots in the first 3rd that you need a chain to get out of….

but ofcourse, chainless means no skinnies :)

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Feb. 25, 2004, 1:31 p.m.

Originally posted by seand
**why not go brakeless too??

then you can learn to use trees to learn how to slowdown/stop. **

Riding Whistler with loads of air in my lines and next to no braking surface left on my pads was sketch enough for me. you can go pure brakeless if you want though.

Feb. 25, 2004, 1:32 p.m.

Originally posted by seand
but ofcourse, chainless means no skinnies :)

it all depends on the skinny.

Feb. 25, 2004, 1:56 p.m.

Funny how you guys ride $4000 + rides, but won't buck up for a drivetrain to be able to pedal it.

Chainless IS NOT the way to go for DH..And A-LINE is not a good example of what downhilling is.

Take your "chainless is the way to go" set up to the DH track, and you'll get smoked. Bad.

Feb. 25, 2004, 2 p.m.

if you go chainless might as well get rid of the pedals and slap pegs on there like a motorcycle has.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Feb. 25, 2004, 2:07 p.m.

Originally posted by [email protected]
**Funny how you guys ride $4000 + rides, but won't buck up for a drivetrain to be able to pedal it.

. **

not at whistler prices!
id rather finish the day with a broken part then buy whatever broke in northvan than paying more than i need to in whistler

you all have NO lives

Feb. 25, 2004, 2:11 p.m.

Originally posted by the ridiculator
not at whistler prices!
id rather finish the day with a broken part then buy whatever broke in northvan than paying more than i need to in whistler

Originally posted by the ridiculatori ride chainless on my s8 at whistler half the time cause my drivetrain is pretty screwey.

My bad…. I must have mistook the "half the time" as something other than finishing the day with a broken part.
:P :cuffs:

Feb. 25, 2004, 2:44 p.m.

i kid you not, something went wrong about 50% of the time
just ask rosscofat, im sure he remembers them better than i do!

you all have NO lives