chain slipping on cassette...why?

July 8, 2003, 4:30 p.m.

i just replaced my cassette and chain with new oens on my 9 speed drivetrain on my ells joker. i put on a pc59 chain and deore cassette to replace a 59 chain and a lx or xt cassette, i dunno. now whenever i crank hard the chain slips over the cassette. why?

btw, i hope this is the right section for this, they are so fucking confusing

July 8, 2003, 5:42 p.m.

Originally posted by sshock4
btw, i hope this is the right section for this, they are so fucking confusing

:agree:

you probably have the wrong chain size for your cassette i guess :???:

:canada: :::WANTED:::
used hydraulic disc front, some tires about 2.5 maybe rims pm me

Originally posted by Dirt For Breakfast
religion is a disease

July 8, 2003, 6:01 p.m.

did you do your chainrings as well?

July 8, 2003, 7:29 p.m.

dhrider, nah, im sure its the correct chain/cassette combo, but thanks

UFO, no i didnt do the chainrings, but thats not where its skipping, anyway ive decided that the chain is too long, when i thought it was the correct legnth

July 8, 2003, 9:17 p.m.

are you visually observing the chain skip on the rear cogs? it could be that your freehub is hooped as well. when you apply power, the whole mechanism slips giving the illusion that your rear cogs/chain are slipping

July 8, 2003, 9:35 p.m.

Originally posted by UFO
are you visually observing the chain skip on the rear cogs? it could be that your freehub is hooped as well. when you apply power, the whole mechanism slips giving the illusion that your rear cogs/chain are slipping

woah big words:eek: :eek: :eek: :???: :???:

:lol:

:D

:canada: :::WANTED:::
used hydraulic disc front, some tires about 2.5 maybe rims pm me

Originally posted by Dirt For Breakfast
religion is a disease

July 8, 2003, 10:01 p.m.

My brother had the EXACT same problem. He swore numerous times that it was skipping on the cassette, and that his freehub was pooched. Got a new wheels, new hub, still did it. Took it into JH, they couldn't fix it. Finally, I told him to get a new ring, he did, and it fixed it.

Does it happen whenever you put lots of pressure on it? Or is it kidna infrequent/only at a certain point in the pedal rotation?

Whichever it is, change the ring.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

July 8, 2003, 10:19 p.m.

I had the same problem on mine i swore the chain was sliping over the casette i tried everything i had perfect chain length everything new exept rear derailler so i got a new derailer, turns out my springs in my old derailer were all pooched so it looked right with a chain through it but without one it was just a limp peice of metal. sometimes a new rear derailer will tension your chain enough to help

July 8, 2003, 11:19 p.m.

my scream has started to do it, but only in my gears 6-9. so dirtjumping and stuff is annoying cuz i gotta pedal like mad in these tiny gears. im thinking if its like that it's my chainline but i'm not sure. :(

i took it to a shop and got it back and it skipped in every gear and this is the best i've gotten it since. im no expert on chainlines though

July 9, 2003, 1:46 a.m.

Could be a tight link ;)

That is a more common problem than people like to admit. And yes, even with the SRAM Powerlink's, you can still have tight links. Give that a check as well :)

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 9, 2003, 2:11 a.m.

Chainring.

July 9, 2003, 3:01 a.m.

Mine was doing that and it was the tension on the shifter cable. Try turning giving the barrel adjuster a couple quarter turns. Won't cost you anything.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 9, 2003, 10:45 a.m.

ya, i just tossed the der from my road bike on it, its working real cute now. thanks everybody