Chain Lube If Indoor Trainers

Jan. 12, 2021, 1:42 p.m.

My wife and I Zwift a lot in the winter and chain lube is becoming an problem. I started off with regular dry lube but it doesn't seem to last long with the constant heat, pressure and house dust. It doesn't last too long and becomes noisy pretty fast. I have switched to Muc-Off C3 Ceramic wet and it is long lasting and super quite but it does collect house dust. Its nice to have a quite chain as the noise really travels inside a house. Its crazy how loud they can be.

My question is what are you using and why? Do waxes work?

Last edited by: heathen on Jan. 12, 2021, 4:38 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 12, 2021, 3:09 p.m.

what I have readily available. :)

Jan. 13, 2021, 8:50 a.m.

I went to Squirt ( MEC) a few years ago (liquid wax) on all my bikes, I like how clean it runs, seems to last, using it on a road bike in a trainer it would fling off a few small bits of wax so i put a piece of cardboard under the bike

If you want to go wax you gotta take off all the old lube or whatever they put on a new chain and the best way i have found is coil up the chain soak in a couple inchs of white gas in a pickle jar over night, it will come out super cean

Jan. 13, 2021, 11:16 a.m.

Boeshield T9 is clean. Used it previously on my power tools to keep them clean, also leaves a waxy coating to prevent rust. Seems to work the same way on my bikes.

I had a waxed chain on my rarely used wall hanger road bike, no idea what kind of wax or if this is at all a typical result, but in my house it built up a lot of dust.

Jan. 13, 2021, 1:20 p.m.

Try salt water on it for a bit. Then go to a lube. I'm sure you will notice a huge difference.

Jan. 13, 2021, 8:03 p.m.

The squirt lube sounds interesting. I will try it out next time I clean my drivetrain 

https://youtu.be/8stjAmmV0kg

Jan. 13, 2021, 10:22 p.m.

I like how you've min-maxed your setup by putting money into the trainer, not the bike.

Jan. 14, 2021, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I like how you've min-maxed your setup by putting money into the trainer, not the bike.

Mega min-maxing. Most of the parts are recycled from my parts bin. Only new parts are the trainer, SX 12psd drivetrain and 165mm cranks to help with knee pain.  No need for a fancy bike when it is just strapped to a trainer. Emily and I have separate seat posts with height marks on them. So we just swap seats in and out.

Jan. 14, 2021, 4:05 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

The squirt lube sounds interesting. I will try it out next time I clean my drivetrain

cuz of the amount of anal required to clean you kind of got to commit to wax, Squirt is basicly wax in water that you drip on as you would any petro chainlube, when the water evaps the wax is left on/in the chain.

If you drip Squirt on a surface it comes out like milk and when the water leaves its like a clear drip of candle wax.

Drip on aqueous waxing is  way easier than the trad way of waxing a chain which is taking the chain off and soaking in a pot of wax on a hot plate.

The only thing you want to watch is do not leave Squirt in the shed at -20 cuz it will freeze which alters/thickens the consistancey so it does not want to penetrate the same way, I emailed Squirt and they said to add some water/shake which worked to thin it out.

Jan. 15, 2021, 7:49 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: heathen

cuz of the amount of anal required to clean you kind of got to commit to wax, Squirt is basicly wax in water that you drip on as you would any petro chainlube, when the water evaps the wax is left on/in the chain.

Was I the only one who started reading this and thought I'd been accidentally linked to an s&m website?

How much anal required exactly?

Last edited by: RAHrider on Jan. 15, 2021, 7:50 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 15, 2021, 8:20 a.m.

you gotta remove every speck of accumulated grease & dirt, brush & simple green degreaser seemed pretty good on the pulleys and sprockets

I thot the white gas was quite amazing on the chain, submerge/soak overnite and the chain was completely grease free in the AM

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 15, 2021, 9:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 15, 2021, 9:37 a.m.

you gotta remove every speck of accumulated grease & dirt, brush & simple green degreaser seemed pretty good on the pulleys and sprockets

I thot the white gas was quite amazing on the chain it got right down to completely grease free

I am king of clean drivetrains as I like to get the most KM out of them. I use Simple Green Purple as it is non corrosive.

Jan. 15, 2021, 10:23 a.m.

Simple green purple, Isnt that an oxymoran ?

I used Pro gold for > 10 yrs and was not that big of a drive train cleaner in the past, maybe once a year I run chains thru the park cleaner and if I'm just gona drip more petro product being super clean doesnt mean that much

but to change from petro to Wax i think you want to get real clean, once you are clean and on the wax don't use anything else 

I've heard you can get excess gummed wax off with hot water ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 15, 2021, 11:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 15, 2021, 11:34 a.m.

Squirt is basicly wax in water that you drip on as you would any petro chainlube, when the water evaps the wax is left on/in the chain.

This stuff reminds me of white lightning back in the day, that I did not have fond memories of.

Jan. 15, 2021, 11:58 a.m.

yeah according the the white lightning site its liquid wax, what didnt you like about wax ?

manicured trails now that get closed when they get too soft, IME the chain seems to stay pretty clean up here so there is that

When I was young/broke I used chainsaw bar oil and 90W gear oil on dirtbike chains down there in the lower mainland and that shit used to end up in a big stripe down one side of my riding jacket