Chain Lube

June 20, 2008, 2 a.m.

So I've done a search here in the gear section to see what kind of chain lube is most popular. The reason I'm looking is cause I I degreased my bikes entire drive train and that sticky oil that my sram-pc951 chain cause it was attracting a lot of dirt. The suggestions I've found are quite a mixed bag, from finishline w/teflon, triflow, icewax, whitelighting etc. I want something that's going to run clean..probably finishline dry. What do you guys suggest? :coo:

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

June 20, 2008, 9:51 a.m.

Here is Goochs fav lube:

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 20, 2008, 10 a.m.

June 20, 2008, 10:01 a.m.

Finishline ftw.

In the winter, the green 'wet' stuff. In the summer the red 'dry' stuff. I have used tri-flow but it isn't thick enough. I have also used Phil's tenacious and still do on my fixed gear commuter. Too thick and gooey and attracts too much dirt on the trails tho.

June 20, 2008, 10:04 a.m.

I been using pro-link on chains/cables/pivots ,they gave out the biggest sample bottle at interbike ,some magazinee gave a good review on it. I opened it 1st [HTML_REMOVED] just kept using it, I havent even opened any of them little sample bottles …let that be a lesson to all you chain lube mfgers

and its available at mec

June 20, 2008, 10:20 a.m.

This is the best I've used for chain lube.

5 years of riding on the west coast in rain, mud, snow, ice, dust and everything in between.

Others I've tried with mixed results: Phils Tenacious, White Lightning, Tri-Flow, Finish line wet, finish line dry, Pedros wet, Pedros Dry, WD-40, KY, 3-in-1 and Astroglide.

Tri-Flow seems to work the best for lubing cables.

Nice thing about Pro-link is that you can get it cheap at MEC.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

June 20, 2008, 10:52 a.m.

For almost everything on my bike I use Pedros extra dry, either the spray on type or the drip on type. Doesn't attract dirt and keeps my bike slippery smooth!

June 20, 2008, 12:45 p.m.

How clean do you want it? Nothing beats waxing your chain for clean but that will take a long time. Realistically, chain lube makes absolutely no difference to performance, so the only function of the wax is to keep dirt away. You could also use some of that goopy ice wax stuff if you wanted.. still won't be real wax.

June 20, 2008, 12:47 p.m.

White Lightning without a doubt

expensive, and needs regular application, but keeps my bike ' truckin and stops the build up of the "grinding paste" that you often get with wet lubes in the drier months when you are not cleaning your bike so much

the good quality dry lubes offer more than enough lubrication where it matters (internally, inside the roller bush) - having lube all over your chain (externally) doesn't mean anything except it being a magnet for crud

what is often misunderstood is that you are not looking to lube your chain to lubricate contact between the chain and cassette or chainring, but to allow the roller bushings inside the chain to freely spin as the chain passes over the drivetrain

as an example, KBN chains (who make…lots of chains..2 million a DAY say you should never degrease your chain as this removes roller bush internal lube, but brush the crud off with a stiff brush and then wipe with a rag before relubing

when $$ is tight, i use the Finish Line dry lube, which is not bad…and Finish Line wet lube in the nastiest wintery conditions when the whole ride is mud soup

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

June 20, 2008, 12:57 p.m.

White Lightning without a doubt

Which one exactly? Clean ride or EPIC ride? Clean ride sounds too good to be true lol

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

June 20, 2008, 1 p.m.

i'm gonna sujest the new pedro's chainj (change) lube, it's bio degradable, so when you wash your bike off you're not killing the environment… if you're looking for lower viscosity get the go lube

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

June 20, 2008, 2:31 p.m.

as an example, KBN chains (who make…lots of chains..2 million a DAY say you should never degrease your chain as this removes roller bush internal lube, but brush the crud off with a stiff brush and then wipe with a rag before relubing

KBN Chains? Do you mean KMC Chains?

June 20, 2008, 2:36 p.m.

Pro link or Rock and Roll. You can majke your own prolink type lube with mineral spirits mixed with a heavier oil. That's really all prolink is. The mineral spirits make it thin and able to penetrate to where you need it, the mineral spoirits also act as a cleaner so when you wipe off the excess after an application, the outside of the chain gets pretty clean. Then the mineral spirits evaporate leaving the oil. Rock and Roll is similar but with different fluids. Heavier lube too.

I think most of the wax lubes are similar with wax dissolved in a thin carrier liquid which evaporates after application leaving the wax. I didn't find the wax lubes particularly long lasting. Pro link is good for several rides until it gets washed off. RnR lasts the longest and in fact lasts me a couple washings. I wash the bike with plain water.

Heavy oils like Phil's tenacious and other lubes that I suspect are simply chain saw oil are too think and sticky for mmost bike chain applications. If it's wet outside but you'll end up in dry conditions too it's OK because it won't wash off easily so when it dries out you don't end up with a sticky squeeking dry chain. If it's really wet out and will be wet for the entire ride, even the water will lubricate the chain well enough.

I read somewhere on the great interweb of German study that showed that plain water lubricated as well as anything. In fact the study didn't find any significant difference between any chain oil.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 20, 2008, 4:34 p.m.

I'll throw in another recommendation for Pro Link! Cheap at MEC, and a bottle lasts for ever. Only thing is the bottle drips all over the place. Triflow has a better applicator and smells like candy (Can't be good for the brain cells :cow: )

June 20, 2008, 11:06 p.m.

I ended up buying Pedro's Extra dry, it's nice and thin so i'm pretty sure it wont attract much dirt. I used a bit on the pivots of my X9 derailleur and now it's super smooth!!