CF vs HG Aluminum

July 3, 2016, 8:58 p.m.

You'll love that bike.

Great bike all around. I bought one for the same reason- smokin' deal. Rode it very happily for a year. Eventually realized watching Wade Simmons on TV rip a short travel bike like a big bike doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen for me lol. Sold it and went back to a more familiar long travel bike. New Reign fits me like a glove.

The Trance niggles I had were all 1% stuff- wished it was just a few mm lower, slightly longer front end, slightly shorter back. It's really close, and you have to get into a crotchety state of mind to even be bothered by it.

Angles are great, suspension is stellar. The weight is a real shocker, this bike weighs nothing and gets way lighter easily. I "accidentally" built mine to 26lbs, with free swaps from spare gear. Enjoy.

What's the RM that you're waiting for? Am also an RM fanboy.

Good to read… Helps with the waiting game. Ya, I try not to emulate any of the pros I watch on YT as they can pretty well take any bike and ride hell like it's a cakewalk. I mean, I think Smoke still rides hardtail only - and that cat is smoooooove!!! :fro:

Considering I wanted a "trail" bike it seems the Trance will deliver this in spades, and will also let me dabble in the heavier shiznit TOTALLY rider dependent (right??). I mean, if I get great hammering the nastier stuff on a medium travel bike, well, I suppose I've upped my game slightly in the skills department too. Of course, if I constantly eat shit try-after-try and my legs and arms look like burger after a week, well then, might be a sign that I best be staying "on trail-like trails" or that I should opt for a big-rig sofa on wheels and just let the travel do the talking LOL.

Bike I'm after is the soon-to-be released Slayer.
Second to that, the top-shelf Pipeline in my size (XL)

But for now - 2 wheels, 5.5" travel, composite yada yada, Giant Trance will be JUST fine thank you very much.
Peace!

"I'm addicted to surfing."

July 3, 2016, 9:19 p.m.

Lest we forget 20 years ago, THIS was da bomb :werd:

July 5, 2016, 5:31 a.m.

It's pretty fun that so many bikes have gotten so good that we've sort of run out of issues to debate. :) "Yeah, this 5 star out of this world awesome Patrol has…uh…uh…oh the BB is maybe 4mm too low :lol: Life is good

Make sure that you have 35% sag seated, there's a pdf HERE that describes the method they suggest to use.

So many good bikes out.

July 10, 2016, 11:36 p.m.

To the OP, congrats on the new bike!

Thanks man!! First good spin on it today; great suspension, comfortable, super snappy and crisp, overall a really great feeling bike. Only thing that'll need a change is just slightly wider bars, but otherwise - uber impressed.

I'm pretty blown away with just how top-drawer this bike feels. Glad to be back!! Thanks for all your input (NSMB!!) along the way.