CF vs HG Aluminum

June 30, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Well….IMO the Scout is pointless.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Trance Advanced 1 on order in "L".

Nothing shouts "upgrade me immediately" - but I know the bar and stem might need a little updating. I'm not going to rush into this until I actually get to know the bike.

Transition. Grapevine/word-on-the-street had me reconsider - talk is cheap so no sense getting into it. They looked great - very simple - but a lot of coin for what they are; especially seeing what's out there in the carbon/composite category. Maybe one day. RM - needed a bike in the interim, but will likely look at the new Slayer when it comes out, and also kinda liked the Pipeline (no size of the latter for me).

So - should be riding this time next week YEESSSSSSAAAAAHHHHH :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
(On a Giant…)
(RM's of choice come out October/November…)
(2 wheels and hundreds of trails - I'm stoked to be back in the saddle regardless…)
(PROPS to the cats at Different Bikes NV locale!!!!)

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 30, 2016, 2:38 p.m.

Trance Advanced 1 on order in "L".

Nothing shouts "upgrade me immediately" - but I know the bar and stem might need a little updating. I'm not going to rush into this until I actually get to know the bike.

Transition. Grapevine/word-on-the-street had me reconsider - talk is cheap so no sense getting into it. They looked great - very simple - but a lot of coin for what they are; especially seeing what's out there in the carbon/composite category. Maybe one day. RM - needed a bike in the interim, but will likely look at the new Slayer when it comes out, and also kinda liked the Pipeline (no size of the latter for me).

So - should be riding this time next week YEESSSSSSAAAAAHHHHH :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
(On a Giant…)
(RM's of choice come out October/November…)
(2 wheels and hundreds of trails - I'm stoked to be back in the saddle regardless…)
(PROPS to the cats at Different Bikes NV locale!!!!)

2016 or 2017? If its 2016, the tires might not be up to the task (2.25 Nobby Nics?), depending on where you plan on riding it.

June 30, 2016, 8:27 p.m.

Interestingly, and topical, dude came along and put a Transition Patrol on my busses bike rack this evening at Phibbs.
So we chatted.
Seems as though the issues with bb height affecting customer satisfaction are not limited to the Scout as his size XL Patrol came from factory spec'd with 165mm cranks. On an XL.
I suspect that being a small fish in a big sea, something is going on with their fabricator they cannot or will not deal with.
So I take back what I said, DemonMike. Don't buy a Patrol either.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 30, 2016, 8:35 p.m.

2016 or 2017? If its 2016, the tires might not be up to the task (2.25 Nobby Nics?), depending on where you plan on riding it.

Ya, that's what comes stock but I believe we're going Maxxis as soon as it gets out of the box - slightly wider - not full on 27.5+ standards, but you know, just a wee bit beefier. Than again, may just wanna see how these "nobby nics" take to a good bit of pounding before passing judgment :idea:

All in all, happy to know there's a bike at the end of my proverbial tunnel.
:rave:

June 30, 2016, 11:33 p.m.

i have a patrol xl with 175 turbine cranks. sure i hit the pedals (flats) from time to time but not all that bad. i definitely have to keep level pedals and i'm aware of it but i would never think of it as an issue. previous bike was a norco range and i don't recall it being much different.

July 1, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

My previous bike was an old Reign @ approx. 345mm so the Transition which measured out at 322mm stock was just awful.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 1, 2016, 2:12 p.m.

I will have to check my 167 and compare it,s low for trail riding I clip pedals all the time , but not as much as my Entourage did on similar trails .

just measured both and they are 330mm roughly with 2.5 tires

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 1, 2016, 4:43 p.m.

Ya, that's what comes stock but I believe we're going Maxxis as soon as it gets out of the box - slightly wider - not full on 27.5+ standards, but you know, just a wee bit beefier. Than again, may just wanna see how these "nobby nics" take to a good bit of pounding before passing judgment :idea:

All in all, happy to know there's a bike at the end of my proverbial tunnel.
:rave:

If it's an order for a 16 cancel it and wait for the 17. Big geo changes for the better. Longer chainstays of the 2016 model are especially annoying after a while.

Stock Nobby's have a good tread pattern but feel too thin and pingy.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

July 1, 2016, 7:07 p.m.

just measured both and they are 330mm roughly with 2.5 tires

With 2.5 tyres? Kona web site lists the bb drop of the 167 as 2mm.

http://www.konaworld.com/process_167.cfm

July 1, 2016, 8:35 p.m.

With 2.5 tyres? Kona web site lists the bb drop of the 167 as 2mm.

http://www.konaworld.com/process_167.cfm

tape measures right around 13"

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 2, 2016, 8:55 p.m.

If it's an order for a 16 cancel it and wait for the 17. Big geo changes for the better. Longer chainstays of the 2016 model are especially annoying after a while.

Stock Nobby's have a good tread pattern but feel too thin and pingy.

It's "on order" from the holding factory local to Vancouver and coming to the shop… I know about the 2017 changes - but seriously - I'm stoked with the price, need a bike in the "now" - and if I keep waiting for the next best thing, I'll constantly be waiting for the next best thing and not riding. So - compromise is fine. Christ, for me it's like getting a model 3 or 4 years newer than what everyone else is riding being that I've been away for a while. So latest greatest, cool cool, but I'm more keen to get seated and pedalling than I am playing the waiting game.

Besides, my goal is to ride it till October and then get my order in for the new RM…. I like RM :fruit:

Thanks though!! (PS: 2017 is going to have some decent refinements made to it, just got the skinny on these deets today…but hey, prefer to ride than fuss over the foreplay)

AVAGOODONE CATS!!!!!! Happy Long Weekend Canuckistanians :beer::beer::beer:

July 3, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

You'll love that bike.

Great bike all around. I bought one for the same reason- smokin' deal. Rode it very happily for a year. Eventually realized watching Wade Simmons on TV rip a short travel bike like a big bike doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen for me lol. Sold it and went back to a more familiar long travel bike. New Reign fits me like a glove.

The Trance niggles I had were all 1% stuff- wished it was just a few mm lower, slightly longer front end, slightly shorter back. It's really close, and you have to get into a crotchety state of mind to even be bothered by it.

Angles are great, suspension is stellar. The weight is a real shocker, this bike weighs nothing and gets way lighter easily. I "accidentally" built mine to 26lbs, with free swaps from spare gear. Enjoy.

What's the RM that you're waiting for? Am also an RM fanboy.

July 3, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

Interestingly, and topical, dude came along and put a Transition Patrol on my busses bike rack this evening at Phibbs.
So we chatted.
Seems as though the issues with bb height affecting customer satisfaction are not limited to the Scout as his size XL Patrol came from factory spec'd with 165mm cranks. On an XL.
I suspect that being a small fish in a big sea, something is going on with their fabricator they cannot or will not deal with.
So I take back what I said, DemonMike. Don't buy a Patrol either.

BB height on the Patrol is slightly taller than the new Reign… trend is lower and Transition is definitely not the lowest out there. BB height on the 2016 Scout increased by 5mm. Also, the only bike speced from Transition with 165mm cranks are the TR500s… Scouts and Patrols are 170mm in all sizes, they were 175mm in 2015; if he did have 165mm cranks, it never came that way from the Transition.

I would suggest to anyone interested in a Transition go and talk with the guys at NSBS or give one a test ride directly from the Transition factory in Bellingham, they also do a demo day or two a in our area each year… I did in the fall and was blown away by the Patrol… Carbon one being built in the next few days.

To the OP, congrats on the new bike!

July 3, 2016, 3:23 p.m.

. BB height on the 2016 Scout increased by 5mm.

No shit eh? Guess they got weary of everbody bitchin'.

if he did have 165mm cranks, it never came that way from the Transition.

Really.
He was adamant that he did not make that change himself. So I guess that means then that they were switched by NSBS?
With or without Transitions knowledge?
Interesting….

July 3, 2016, 4:48 p.m.

BB height on the Patrol is slightly taller than the new Reign… trend is lower and Transition is definitely not the lowest out there. BB height on the 2016 Scout increased by 5mm….!

I think it was an issue of BB height under sag and height on the trail, not the static BB measurement. Patrol is what 40% sag and rides fairly deep in it's travel? Reign is 30% and rides high. Definitely not science, but I demo'd both and bought a Reign because the BB seemed too low to me on the Patrol.

At any rate, meh. I've decided since a low BB isn't much of a problem after some adjustment time. I'm sure I would've been perfectly happy on the Patrol long term.

It's pretty fun that so many bikes have gotten so good that we've sort of run out of issues to debate. :) "Yeah, this 5 star out of this world awesome Patrol has…uh…uh…oh the BB is maybe 4mm too low :lol: Life is good