CF vs HG Aluminum

June 28, 2016, 7:49 p.m.

Brand new frame for under a grand? Waaat?

Do tell.

Bike shop in the States

www.FVMBA.com

June 28, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

I'm checking out 2 rides tomorrow:
Transition Scout #2
Giant Advanced Trance 27.5 1

Believe it or not, for L to XL framesize, there's not a lot left out there. And ya, been scouring PB and a few other sites for some fodder…not much out there. It's prime time for the season. As mentioned, I oughta be buying ski gear and boots for the winter right now - smashing deals… (and I'll likely do just that once this bike thing gets outta the way :werd: )

Thanks for all the input thus far!
Le Sanch

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 28, 2016, 8:39 p.m.

Trance if you like the gnar those Scouts balls hang too low.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 28, 2016, 8:53 p.m.

hmm wonder how it compares to my current ride , was considering a Scout for next season

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 28, 2016, 9:22 p.m.

. I oughta be buying ski gear and boots for the winter right now - smashing deals… (and I'll likely do just that once this bike thing gets outta the way :werd: )
Le Sanch

Just gota smoking deal on another cherry set of Lotus 120 hybrids, barons, G3 alpinists

buy bikes in the fall, skis in the summer, kayaks in the fall

June 28, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

Just gota smoking deal on another cherry set of Lotus 120 hybrids, barons, G3 alpinists

buy bikes in the fall, skis in the summer, kayaks in the fall

Agreed.

But I am without steed - and I ain't waitin' till winter to get one :|

(But the skis [HTML_REMOVED] gear are going to be on July's hitlist of to-do's for sure)

June 28, 2016, 10:01 p.m.

Yep - kinda hard to avoid roots, rocks, sections and logs in this neck o' da woods.

June 28, 2016, 11:31 p.m.

Transition Patrol is making me very happy. Aluminum. I'm ok with that and I liked orange. I ride the bike a lot. It feels under 30, but I don't have a scale, nor have intentions of buying one. I have an XT'ish 10 speed build and Kashima 34 on the front. Not fancy. workhorse. Awesome.

Check Kinetik in Burnaby. I'm not affiliated. But great guy, good selection, and good pricing on Transition right now. Also has the Kona Process lineup as well. Those intrigue me equally and I traditionally don't like Kona.

I also worry about the end-of-life of carbon. Where does it go? Very few recycling facilities in non in this part of Canada that I know of. It's plastic. Don't know about worker conditions. Toxic in production, inert in use, and toxic at end-of-life. I don't know how I feel about that.

June 29, 2016, 6:30 a.m.

random: has anyone actually recycled a frame? ones i retire end up as shop decoration. now rim recycling i could get on board with, as they're relatively frequently consumed items. i'm curious if shops recycle metals these days (certainly wasn't the case back in my shop days).

back to bikes - i only had one ride, but really liked the patrol. super fun bike, decent value. and - carbon is nice if you've got the change to throw about, but certainly isn't a game changer in terms of performance benefits over metal.

June 29, 2016, 7:42 a.m.

random: has anyone actually recycled a frame? ones i retire end up as shop decoration. now rim recycling i could get on board with, as they're relatively frequently consumed items. i'm curious if shops recycle metals these days (certainly wasn't the case back in my shop days).

I've always been curious about this but I've actually never been the 'final' user of a bike, sold or given them all away

June 29, 2016, 8:55 a.m.

back to bikes - i only had one ride, but really liked the patrol. super fun bike, decent value. and - carbon is nice if you've got the change to throw about, but certainly isn't a game changer in terms of performance benefits over metal.

I usually trade mine in for a newer model from the manufacturer (Turner). $600 discount off new frame is tough to beat. I believe they take any parts off the old frames they can use for warranty or to keep older models going, then recycle the rest.

June 29, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

^that's a pretty cool program.

June 29, 2016, 9:50 a.m.

^that's a pretty cool program.

Agreed. Now that they have the RFX back in the lineup, I can trade in my 2004 Burner frame that I have been saving!

June 29, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

all the manufactures of carbon frames and such should taking them back IMO . let them deal with the hassle of disposing of the frame and such

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 30, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

hmm wonder how it compares to my current ride , was considering a Scout for next season

Well I had to swap in an air bladder to boost fork to 150mm and then mount 2.35 HD frt/rr to keep from smashing my pedals on everthing taller than your average mushroom (your milage may vary).
Ran into a guy on one who'd swapped to 170mm cranks to solve the issue.
If you're really set on Transition get the Patrol. Can't see, from what I've read here and there, that you're giving much of anything up handling/weight wise but you're starting from a higher reference point.
IMO the Scout is pointless.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.