CF vs HG Aluminum

June 26, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

In order of influence.

Geometry - suspension - wheelsize - rim material - frame material - rear axle width (said no-one ever).

Concur. I've always been a RM guy from WAY back in the day of the bumble-bee Element Race, right through to the RM6 and RM8, Flatline, SXC90, etc. Their geometry has always worked for me. I've made this mention to a number of retailers and they've all - seriously - said nowadays it's not as great a concern due to the fact that geometries can be altered on almost all bikes now. This was news to me.

Suspension, yep - get the best ya can if ya can for what you can. No concerns there.

Wheelsize/Wheelset have always been a major focus (as have hubs) - I'm a 27.5" guy - loved Mavic for many years; Easton, and a couple others.

Frame material has really only become a question "now" for me - CF versus alloy/aluminum.

Aside from rear axle width; gruppo - the component spec is big for me. I'd prefer to pay for longevity rather than sub-par only to be met within a months' worth of riding having to buy anew. Makes better sense to get the "package" if possible and be happy from the get go.

So - I see your train of though - completely concur - however at this stage of the game, I'm nimble and wirey enough to meld into practically any new geometry (within reason) and just want a bike. Surfing and skateboarding have really made me into a flexible twisty kinda nutjob. I'm cool with a bike that goes up and down and pedals nice.

And one that can take a decent shitkicking now and then :mullet:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 26, 2016, 4:51 p.m.

Devinci django looks sweet for an allrounder. Can't see not being able to ride pretty much anything around these parts. And they're canadian, rare these days.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 26, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

Try a patrol. An aluminum one would be around 31lbs stock. Mine is just over 30 with carbon bars and cranks but no real lightweight parts. The thing does everything well. I'm still blown away by how well it climbs. So much so that I gave my carbon stumpy 29er to the wife. And point it down and it's just a total blast.

June 26, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

Devinci django looks sweet for an allrounder. Can't see not being able to ride pretty much anything around these parts. And they're canadian, rare these days.

Try a patrol. An aluminum one would be around 31lbs stock. Mine is just over 30 with carbon bars and cranks but no real lightweight parts. The thing does everything well. I'm still blown away by how well it climbs. So much so that I gave my carbon stumpy 29er to the wife. And point it down and it's just a total blast.

Thanks for 2 more added to the roster.

By the way, the Patrol is a sweet looking ride - simple. I like that. Just clean lines and built with comfortable and efficient kinematics from the get-go it would seem.

Any more doers or sinners for the Vitus Sommet Pro in CF….??
And any Pipeline riders - please, um, "pipe in" (for lack of a better term…ahem).

Thanks
Le Sanch

June 26, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

I have a carbon frame now and it seems to be a magnet for scratches and paint chips. I never had this issue on alu or steel frames.

June 26, 2016, 9:26 p.m.

Devinci Troy alloy . good parts spec with a dropper post about the $3500 mark.

carbons is nice but parts spec with alloy frame is the way to go for the dollars .

Lynn VAlley Bikes has a few of those Troys left.
I have the spartan , but would be on a troy if i was looking for a less aggressive All Mt bike.

split pivot works well for the climb ( keeps the chain tension up and keeps the bike riding higher in the travel) and feels fantastic on the way down.

June 27, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

What strikes me about my carbon nomad gen2 is just how stiff it is. I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

For the stiffness benefit, weight reduction, potential lack of fatigue cracking, resale value, I'd opt for a carbon frame with lesser components.

June 27, 2016, 7:29 p.m.

What strikes me about my carbon nomad gen2 is just how stiff it is. I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

For the stiffness benefit, weight reduction, potential lack of fatigue cracking, resale value, I'd opt for a carbon frame with lesser components.

Duly noted.

June 28, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

Rocky used to put their badge on Vitus road bikes back in the day and I bought a used one for my 1st road bike it was a 56 and i take a 52 … way too big and I flogged it

Those bonded aluminium tubes were beautiful to look at but according to Pippin they fell apart

I can't see why you want to buy a mail order bike when there has got to be lots of other places to buy a new or used bike that you might even actualy ride before pulling out yer money?

yeah expensive … Junior told me with all the CF upgrades his Nomad is probably up to about 12K

June 28, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

Rocky used to put their badge on Vitus road bikes back in the day and I bought a used one for my 1st road bike it was a 56 and i take a 52 … way too big and I flogged it

Those bonded aluminium tubes were beautiful to look at but according to Pippin they fell apart

Ha. It was the salt air. True story. We used to repair all those at the 2 Rd. location.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 28, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

can't say enough about the Patrol. I have an alloy one and it's the bomb. climbs very well, and I do use the shock switches all the time. mine is tad heavy with an old vengeance fork and more standard build but I don't care. with the right build and tires, it does nice duty as general trail bike or be as beasty as you want it to.

June 28, 2016, 2:45 p.m.

Alu, go with Knolly

June 28, 2016, 5:24 p.m.

can't say enough about the Patrol. I have an alloy one and it's the bomb. climbs very well, and I do use the shock switches all the time. mine is tad heavy with an old vengeance fork and more standard build but I don't care. with the right build and tires, it does nice duty as general trail bike or be as beasty as you want it to.

I actually went with the Suppressor and built it up with 27.5 wheels. The only complaint I heard about the Patrol was the low bb. This set up seems to work. Pedal strikes are rare and pretty much only when I mess up. I did keep my dh bike though. I'd rather beat the crap out of that at the park the one or two times a year I make it out. A better rider could easily ride it in the park as well but I'm just a hack.

June 28, 2016, 5:40 p.m.

All the new Banshee's are aluminum, affordable, and very durable. Spitfire, Rune, and Prime. A friend bought a brand new frame for well under a thousand dollars.

I have also heard very good things about Canfield Bros. Their frames are made in the same factory as Banshee.

www.FVMBA.com

June 28, 2016, 7:38 p.m.

Brand new frame for under a grand? Waaat?

Do tell.