CF vs HG Aluminum

June 25, 2016, 2:03 p.m.

I am certain during my absence this discussion festered along at a wondrous pace… But I need to know.

I leave - everyone's stoked on their aluminum bikes, hydraulic seatposts were just becoming common, "all-mountain" was "the" category that was happenin', and "Poc" was still a questionable brand LOL. CF was relegated to the roadie sect, pieces of it were finding their way to MTBs. An expensive bike was $6000 give or take, a decent bike had for $4500. Totally good.

I get back, ask around for some suggestions, find out top-drawer is running in the $10K bracket. I laugh. I research. My jaw drops. Ya, top-drawer bikes are up into that range - not all of them - but many… And other top name brands are offering in the $7000 range. I've accepted this.

But here's the question… Steeds at equal peggings in the reviews sections; write ups; price point; category; some are CF some are high-grade aluminum. Some of my friends say CF is tits because it's so light and stiff a definite must have man!!!; other friends are telling me it don't matter sh!t unless I care about the weight of a water bottle and granola bar making the difference between frame weight from CF to aluminum and that it's just the latest craze and reason to boost pricing..

I'm not weight-widdler, my last AM bike rolled in at 31.5 lbs or thereabouts, maybe 32.5lbs. I didn't care. I rocked up and it rocked down. So this is where I'm coming from… I've got a chance now to buy one of 2 bikes - they're practically equal - the "enduro" fully outfitted with CF and 8.5/10 component spec is $700 cheaper than the aluminum "aggressive trail" that's got a 10/10 component spec. So ya, the CF in this case is cheaper than the aluminum - should I even care???

Does is really matter - what are the benefits - are than any benefits - one better than the other - if so how - should I care.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
The Dirtiest of Sanchez' comin' atcha!!

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 25, 2016, 3:34 p.m.

I am certain during my absence this discussion festered along at a wondrous pace… But I need to know.

I leave - everyone's stoked on their aluminum bikes, hydraulic seatposts were just becoming common, "all-mountain" was "the" category that was happenin', and "Poc" was still a questionable brand LOL. CF was relegated to the roadie sect, pieces of it were finding their way to MTBs. An expensive bike was $6000 give or take, a decent bike had for $4500. Totally good.

I get back, ask around for some suggestions, find out top-drawer is running in the $10K bracket. I laugh. I research. My jaw drops. Ya, top-drawer bikes are up into that range - not all of them - but many… And other top name brands are offering in the $7000 range. I've accepted this.

But here's the question… Steeds at equal peggings in the reviews sections; write ups; price point; category; some are CF some are high-grade aluminum. Some of my friends say CF is tits because it's so light and stiff a definite must have man!!!; other friends are telling me it don't matter sh!t unless I care about the weight of a water bottle and granola bar making the difference between frame weight from CF to aluminum and that it's just the latest craze and reason to boost pricing..

I'm not weight-widdler, my last AM bike rolled in at 31.5 lbs or thereabouts, maybe 32.5lbs. I didn't care. I rocked up and it rocked down. So this is where I'm coming from… I've got a chance now to buy one of 2 bikes - they're practically equal - the "enduro" fully outfitted with CF and 8.5/10 component spec is $700 cheaper than the aluminum "aggressive trail" that's got a 10/10 component spec. So ya, the CF in this case is cheaper than the aluminum - should I even care???

Does is really matter - what are the benefits - are than any benefits - one better than the other - if so how - should I care.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
The Dirtiest of Sanchez' comin' atcha!!

Tell us what bikes you're considering? It will help.

There are quite a few bikes in the $3700-4000 range that you could happily ride without changing anything… Or at least only a few parts.

CF vs Alu: Components are easily replaceable, frames are not. Some bikes there are definitely an advantage to going with one over the other and some bikes are more related to vanity. If you're friends are all telling you that carbon is a must… totally disagree and my last two bikes have been carbon.

Getting an 8.5/10 now would have been like getting a 13/10 bike last time you checked in. Take the extra $700 and invest in custom tuning for your suspension, or upgrade to the top tier of suspension, and save money for a bike trip.

June 25, 2016, 4:15 p.m.

My opinion is new bikes are not worth upgrading anymore, those days are over. Now it's buy, ride it, sell it, buy, ride it, sell it, etc… bikes are for the most part disposable. Get what you can afford.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 25, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally
Giant Reign has been mentioned a few times
Santa Cruz
Trek

The bikes that have really got my interest are:
http://vitusbikes.com/products/escarpe-pro-2016/ (absolute killer component spec, I love the 135/150mm)
http://vitusbikes.com/products/sommet-cr/ (this one's cheaper, longer travel, CF with decent comp.spec)

I get pretty good deals on bikes through a friend/client of mine… His shop(s) carry RM, Giant, SC. But even with the deal I get, by the time I add tax and everything onto the purchase, I can't shake the build, reviews, and apparent quality of these "Vitus" bikes. Obviously sold by CRC, but they're just dope. And for the record, I really like the 135mm rear, 150 front style setup. I don't want more than that unless absolutely necessary - my goal is cardio and endurance rides with great technical sections; not so much DH NS style hammering, but just awesome hauls and lung busters.

Does this help??
LOVE these Vitus bikes!!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

DS

June 25, 2016, 5:05 p.m.

Not all carbon frames are good, but when done right they can be great. Aluminum won't hold you back, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. A $10K carbon wonder bike won't necessarily be better than a $5k aluminum bike. Get the best bang for the buck.

My 'heavy' aluminum and steel bike weighs in at 29.5lbs

June 25, 2016, 6:20 p.m.

Not all carbon frames are good, but when done right they can be great. Aluminum won't hold you back, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. A $10K carbon wonder bike won't necessarily be better than a $5k aluminum bike. Get the best bang for the buck.

My 'heavy' aluminum and steel bike weighs in at 29.5lbs

My kinda guy :fro:

June 25, 2016, 7:10 p.m.

Carbon is nice but definitely not a must! It's more a question of feel than weight, the only place you can tell that 1lb difference is on the scale, to be honest.

Don't forget the duty fees if you go for the Vitus, Like all direct orders, the price seems really good online, but with the 13% duty added, it's suddenly not the deal it seemed to be.

June 25, 2016, 10:29 p.m.

I'd rather have a good aluminum frame with rad part than a mediocre carbon frame with entry level- as these choices often seem to cost the same…and that's really the main thing, cost. In the suspension age, I think the frame material makes much less difference than it used to. If it's a hard tail, I'd be going ti only, screw the plastic and beer can choices. But for fullies, carbon can be a waste of money, especially in certain parts…which is why Giant still makes rear triangles out of aluminum even on their high end models. It would be sooooo cheap to crank out rear triangles of carbon, but they stick with aluminum. Sure it's a price point thing, but also not much performance difference in such a tight tube configuration.

Great wheels, solid suspension, awesome brakes, a strong and compliant bar, a smooth drivetrain with the right gear ratios, a reliable dropper post, seat and grips that don't blister your ass and hands……these are the things you really should spend money on to enjoy your ride. Choosing between carbon and aluminum frame comes second to me against all these items.

June 26, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally
Giant Reign has been mentioned a few times
Santa Cruz
Trek

The bikes that have really got my interest are:
http://vitusbikes.com/products/escarpe-pro-2016/ (absolute killer component spec, I love the 135/150mm)
http://vitusbikes.com/products/sommet-cr/ (this one's cheaper, longer travel, CF with decent comp.spec)

I get pretty good deals on bikes through a friend/client of mine… His shop(s) carry RM, Giant, SC. But even with the deal I get, by the time I add tax and everything onto the purchase, I can't shake the build, reviews, and apparent quality of these "Vitus" bikes. Obviously sold by CRC, but they're just dope. And for the record, I really like the 135mm rear, 150 front style setup. I don't want more than that unless absolutely necessary - my goal is cardio and endurance rides with great technical sections; not so much DH NS style hammering, but just awesome hauls and lung busters.

Does this help??
LOVE these Vitus bikes!!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

DS

Personally after riding an RM Altitude, I'd never buy one, just doesn't feel right to me but might fit your demands for a pedally longish travel bike… it felt too XC oriented for my tastes.
SC bikes seem to be overpriced, but granted, are nice.
Giant seems to be good value for money but the Reign doesn't really sound like what you're looking for.
I also don't see value in Trek bikes.

Vitus, like said before, will also have a 13% duty, plus 5% taxes and the value starts to go away. Of those two the CF bike is very similarly speced for a lot less. But if you have any problems, you're going to be waiting, and probably a long time.

Take a look at the Devinci Troy, Transition Scout/Patrol; these are very local and offer some pretty awesome values in my opinion; North Shore Bike Shop, where Transition is locally sold in large amounts, offers some great service too… Scouts start at $3450 and Patrols at $3350. The Troy RS is a pretty good value too and can be found at a few locations.

Regardless of your choice, you'll get a good bike.

June 26, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

Giant Trance would more be your thing than the Reign, maybe with an adjustable 160mm fork. You could look for a deal on a '14 or '15 model. Not much has changed, but the 32 forls on the older bikes hold the bike back, the frame is more capable. As for CF vs. Aluminium… some CF frames feel a lot more Carbon-y (RMB Element for example) than others, so the difference in feel can be more pronounced in some cases. For me, CF is far from a must. Demo'd an alloy Trance, do now own a the CF frame (due to a mix-up. I'd ordered an alloy frame). I don't think I could tell the difference just by riding them. I'd rather have a nicely specc'ed aluminium bike than a mediocre carbon steed.

June 26, 2016, 12:10 p.m.

That's the thing now, with very few exceptions, most bike companies make really good bikes. In 2008 there weren't a lot of good bikes out there, but now its hard to make a bad decision.

June 26, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

Lifetime warranty on aluminum, ?? on CF?

June 26, 2016, 1:40 p.m.

Buy the Virus - like now .

Who knows how long the pound will be in the pooper.

As for carbon - I bought me a 2016 trance advanced one. Carbon front, alu rear triangle. Carbon hoops. I am sure you could make a aluminum frame with the same or similar weight. I just really like the feel of it.

June 26, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

Thanks Crew!!! :woot:

LOTS of excellent intel posted here - thank you… The Vitus bikes, ya, I'm going to connect with them to get the skinny on final pricing by the time shipping, customs, taxes/duties are paid. A bit of a bummer is the one that's really caught my eye, the 135mm/150mm Escarpe Pro (aluminum) doesn't have internal cable routing. Considering the pricetag, that would be a nice feature all things considered. But then OTOH, the CF Sommet is 150mm+ travel, decently spec'd, and $700 cheaper - with internal cable routes.

Next up my buddy called with my price for a 2017 Pipeline. It's very tempting. Anyone ride the new Pipe around here?? (Other than Royalty Wade??) Lemme know your thoughts on it as it's local and it's available at a killer price. That said - I could still get the Vitus Sommet CF for $300 less than the RM Pipe after tax (and that's with 17% upcharge on the Sommet - will see what shipping is tomorrow, ahem).

I'm going to definitely check out the Transition models as well as the Devinci's. Funny, just bought my 6 year old a Devinci EWOC24 and her sister rides a nice RM Edge24. The Devinci is gobs lighter and seems to offer better welds - hey, only kids' bikes but interesting observation.

Keep it coming folks. So far that Vitus Sommet carbon fiber enduro is still winning - even after duties, taxes, customs and whatever else. Nice spec. But I'm up for more options.

THANKS NSMB!!!!!
:rave:

June 26, 2016, 4:20 p.m.

In order of influence.

Geometry - suspension - wheelsize - rim material - frame material - rear axle width (said no-one ever).

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman