CCDB coil - HSC

Feb. 20, 2018, 3:46 a.m.

I have a yt tues 2012, the LR chart is this:

Very progressive, with a low starting LR and a very very low ending LR.

At sag (30%) the LR is ~2.65.

Cane creek proposes for this frame 2.5 turns for HSC, which i find really high.

For reference, santa cruz v10 has this LR chart

at sag (30%) the LR is ~3.45 and cane creek proposes just 1 (one!!!) turn of HSC!!!

I can't find any logic in this.

Now i have 1.5 turn of HSC in my tues, and i find that in heavy sudden hits (big rocks and roots), that the rear suspension is kicking, so that my feet lose momentary the contact with the pedals.

My spring rate is ok, and the rebound settings are ok too. The LSC is also quite low at 10 clicks from supple.

Should i lower the HSC to 0.5-0.75 turn, or do you think it will be too low?

Feb. 20, 2018, 9:08 a.m.

I found this with the google:

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.ca/2011/08/young-talent-tues-2012.html

Looks similar to what you have for the 2015, but thought you might be interested.  Looks like they swapped to a huge shock (10.5x3.5) to get to the very low avg LR. It also says you might be needing 35-40% sag for that frame. 
When you say the suspension is 'kicking' do you mean on the rebound stroke?  Thats usually where you would feel a kick.  If that is the case, you need to increase your HSR (slow down the rebound stroke).  You can play with lowering your HSC as well, but Id recommend only doing one adjustment at a time.  I found the 'dialed' app from Cane Creek to be helpful when setting up my bikes.

Feb. 20, 2018, 5:09 p.m.

Echoing shoreboy here, but before changing the spring you may as well just find a piece of trail where the issue happens and ride it over and over at current settings and with HSC fully open, then half way to current setting (i.e. 0, 1.25 and 2.5 turns) and see how it feels. I've found this is the best way to determine change to suspension settings, aka bracketing. It has to be the same section of trail to notice. Too much HSC on the shock would usually mean harshness/lack of traction on stutter bumps. On huge hits you should get full travel for the spring rate even with HSC pretty closed off. 

Rebound could be where the problem lies... or the spring rate is too high (try lighter spring for more sag).