cassettes - what would you do?

Dec. 17, 2018, 7:30 p.m.

If cogs 1 to 10 are still good on your XX1 cassette, you can just replace the 42t alloy cog. Wolf Tooth makes the GCX, which comes in 42, 44 and 46t options e.g. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/cassette-cogs/products/gcx-44t-cog-for-sram-xx1-x01-cassette

I went a similar route with a 44t replacement cog from OneUp (that now looks to be discontinued) and was happy with it.

Dec. 17, 2018, 8:48 p.m.

sounds like this is what you need

https://www.jensonusa.com/e13-TRS-12-Speed-Upgrade-Kit

Dec. 17, 2018, 9:51 p.m.

If you want the range and aren't too fussed about the weight, what's wrong with a Sram NX Eagle 11-50 cassette (unless you are running a soft aluminium freehub body)? NX derailleurs are shitty and the shifters aren't amazing so I'd go GX for those, and a chain is largely a chain but a GX chain isn't too bad.

Dec. 17, 2018, 11:10 p.m.

NX Eagle isn't compatible with his XD driver, so GX cassette plus everything will be $500+ for less range/more weight. NX cassettes are really cheap though.

Dec. 18, 2018, 7:25 a.m.

Ah yes! With all this talk of freehub swapping I missed that the OP had an XD driver already. Personally I'd go with a GX Eagle 'box' and sell the cranks to offset some of the cost. The range is more than fine (I don't think I've ever used more than 9 gears on mine to be honest) and I've never ridden a drivetrain with some sort of conversion kit or after market cassette that works as well as a kit designed to work together from the factory.

Dec. 18, 2018, 8:54 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Ah yes! With all this talk of freehub swapping I missed that the OP had an XD driver already. Personally I'd go with a GX Eagle 'box' and sell the cranks to offset some of the cost. The range is more than fine (I don't think I've ever used more than 9 gears on mine to be honest) and I've never ridden a drivetrain with some sort of conversion kit or after market cassette that works as well as a kit designed to work together from the factory.

If he's coming from XX1 11 speed GX Eagle will be heeeeavvy. The E13 cassette is the easiest/lightest solution for his situation by far and shifts really well. I only know one guy in our group running GX Eagle and he's always having to tweak his shifting to get it to run smoothly. He's not terribly impressed...XX1 and X01 Eagle are less problematic from what I hear.

Dec. 18, 2018, 10:28 a.m.

This has been extremely helpful all. Thank you!

My current range is generally fine but since there's an opportunity to get a bigger 1st, Ill take it as long as I don't need to start a conversion project. 
Right now Ive narrowed to the e*13 TRS+ or the Wolf cog. Ill see what I can dig up this aft.

Again, thank you all. Very helpful guidance!

Dec. 18, 2018, 10:59 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

This has been extremely helpful all. Thank you!

My current range is generally fine but since there's an opportunity to get a bigger 1st, Ill take it as long as I don't need to start a conversion project. 
Right now Ive narrowed to the e*13 TRS+ or the Wolf cog. Ill see what I can dig up this aft.

Again, thank you all. Very helpful guidance!

If you go with the Wolf Tooth cog, just make sure cogs 1 to 10 of your current cassette are actually not worn out. It would suck to put money into the big cog only to realize the rest of the cassette is done, leaving you where you started.

Are you testing your current drivetrain with a new chain? Often, worn drivetrains will work with the old chain but skip like mad when a new, unworn chain is installed.

Dec. 18, 2018, 11:24 a.m.

^ You bet - yes, new chain was put on not that long ago due to blowing through a few too many links. Previously the skipping felt more like a dropout alignment or a twist of the tension, now its mad skipping. Other gears work well.

Dec. 18, 2018, 8:35 p.m.

This is pretty light.

Pretty pricey too, think I'll wait until better weather to run it.

Dec. 19, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

Found a new still in the package SRAM 1x11  OneUp 44t cog. Should fix my problem and give me a bit of a bailout gear at the same time.

Thanks again all for the guidance!

Last edited by: Ddean on Dec. 19, 2018, 10:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 21, 2018, 3:05 a.m.

I ran this setup on an XX1 cassette. The main body (1-10) being made of steel is crazy durable. I think mine had 7000+ km on it and it would still take a new chain. put it in a parts washer & you could barely tell it had been used at all. The big 42T did wear (although still lasted quite a while) so I replaced with a One Up cog & it kept on going.

New bike has X01 Eagle on it, that's the only reason I stopped using it. being the same construction, I expect it should do just as long :)

Dec. 26, 2018, 11:23 a.m.

Slapping that OneUp 44 on there and it’s a new bike! It’s like a brand new drivetrain when I’m climbing. Problem solved!