carrying tools and spare parts

July 18, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

I carry my iphone so if I break my chain I can google "how to use a chain tool.":drunk:

Wrong. Always.

July 18, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

I carry my iphone so if I break my chain I can google "how to use a chain tool.":drunk:

Phooey! The only chain you ever broke was the one Stevie Nicks sang about.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 18, 2014, 7:43 p.m.

I can fit irons/tube/patch kit/multi tool/spare links/quick link/chain breaker all in a seat pouch, put the pump on a water bottle mount so I don't even need a pack but people are too lazy to think that far ahead and ya my buds don't carry anything

I will help if I can cuz I have always been the tech and good karma is good

July 18, 2014, 8:01 p.m.

It's all about risk and superstition. I haven't broken a chain in years but I have been religiously carrying a chain tool for two decades.

I own not one, but 2 compact multi-tools that each have a chain tool on them …

July 18, 2014, 8:46 p.m.

Ha. Broke a valve tonight trying to straighten a bent Stan's valve. Snapped right off and had to use a tube. Maybe I should carry a spare valve, some sealant and a good floor pump. Then I could leave the tubes at home.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 18, 2014, 9:14 p.m.

I only own/carry a park CT-5 mini chain tool which is a pretty legit piece of HW and I always wondered how well those chain tools on multi's work?

I have used my chain tool 1/2 doz times for emergency but not on my bike

In Peeg the bugs were too nasty to sit around waiting for glue to dry SO I would thro in the spare tube and take the dead one home, when I got 5 dead tubes I patch them in my shop while having a beverage

July 19, 2014, 7:52 a.m.

In addition to all that stuff I always carry a folding saw. I also always have a head lamp in case I spend too much time using the saw. The First Aid kit is for when I'm not careful with the saw. MEC folding saw is excellent. ;)

July 19, 2014, 1 p.m.

Why wouldn't you carry some tools/spares?

My bag has multi-tool, leatherman, hockey tape, zip ties, two tubes, small pump,
and a small nylon rope. Not exactly heavy and come in handy many many times half way through a ride.

July 19, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

It's not my place to try to teach others lessons one way or the other. I have no interest in following that line of reasoning.
Someone needs help? I offer it. Period.

I completely agree help them out while pointing the benefit of carrying kit and tell them to pay it forward, then hopefully 1 out of a hundred listens and we all win.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 20, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

Why wouldn't you carry some tools/spares?

My bag has multi-tool, leatherman, hockey tape, zip ties, two tubes, small pump,
and a small nylon rope. Not exactly heavy and come in handy many many times half way through a ride.

You planning on doing a bondage scene up there homie?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 21, 2014, 7:10 a.m.

You planning on doing a bondage scene up there homie?

shhhhh :shhh: don't let my secret out.

July 21, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

I think people need to learn to be responsible for their own actions. Society has too much hand holding. Save the support for those that really need it due to circumstances outside of their control.

So if you don't have a pack or any tools and you ask for a tube then you aren't going to get one. If you have made an effort to carry some gear but say you happen to have not got a tube that day, broken parts that are unreasonable to carry all the time then you'll get help. If you're lying bloody by the trail then you'll get help.

July 21, 2014, 3:01 p.m.

My goal is to never have to walk out of the woods, since walking sucks and is no where near as fun as riding. I wear a well-stocked hydration pack on every ride, even in the bike park. I honestly don't notice it and not wearing it would feel just as wrong to me as riding without my helmet. Stopping to help someone on the trail is just common courtesy, and it feels pretty satisfying to be able to get them back on their bike. To me that is part of what riding is all about. I am pretty old though, and back in the day stopping to help someone out was just what you did. This was especially important when there only a few people riding the trails.

Aug. 10, 2014, 11:08 p.m.

I emptied my bag this week and had way too much crap in there but I never ride without stuff to fix a pretty decent range of issues so I'm with a few of the old school sensible and considerate types here. I've helped out many riders, and I've reaped the rewards with someone helping me out - most recently when I was getting out on my first ride back after the birth of my son - and I dropped in on Bobsled of all trails and got a double pinch flat and realized I only had one tube. I could've patched it but a friendly rider hooked me up and I was off again.

Multitool
2 tubes (see above…)
Tyre lever
Quick patches
Chocolate
Brake pads
Pump
Zipties
Chaintool
Spare powerlinks
A few standard bolt sizes - for discs, chainrings, brakes, etc.

Be prepared, don't be a cock. Pretty simple really.

Aug. 11, 2014, 12:23 a.m.

The one day that I wrongly assume my multitool is in my bag is the day my stem bolts decide they are going to loosen off. Big thanks to the rider with the dog at the upper gate on Fromme this evening who was nice enough to let me use their tool.