carrying tools and spare parts

July 16, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

Or do you help him out and hope he learns his lesson?

I have a kid who rides … so I'm coming at this with some experience :)

July 16, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

I always carry basic stuff (tube, multitool, zip ties, pump, small knife, bottle opener) in my pack along with the water bladder. I am a bit superstitious about it though; if I have it, I won't need it. Almost every time I was without the kit, i needed it.

While the OP's logic behind not stopping is sound, I do not agree: I look at everything that happens on the trail as being part of the experience, so if someone has a mechanical, it is no trouble for me to stop and help out as much as i can. That said, I NEVER rely on others to feel the same, so I am as self sustained as possible.

I hope that it goes without saying that it is a completely different story if there are injuries involved. In that case, stopping and helping out is the only right thing to do.

July 16, 2014, 12:35 p.m.

My apologies…I think I wasn't very clear with my inquiry. I guess what I'm more curious about is what your thoughts are on fellow riders who come out to the trails completely bare of tools and parts (different than missing few parts - you can't carry or be prepare for everything) and when they do suffer a mechanical, they ask a fellow rider riding by if we have tools/parts they can borrow.

I ride frequently with 3 guys that refuse to carry anything. It is always them that break something, or need something and they look sheepishly at me or my other prepared friends " oh . ummmm .. do you have a tube ." or one time the chain was jammed in their guard had to use pliers to torque it out

Once one guy showed up with two flats!!!! in the parking lot needing two tubes and that was it I still think he owes to two guys 5 tubes each. Now, if he asks me for a tool, I charge him $5.

These are my riding buddies. Annoys me to no end.

Now, for a younger rider needing help I will stop and help for sure. I think the example shown is proper. It also allows for some mentoring on how to fix what ever is broke so that when it happens to them next time they understand a bit more.

I only know, since I was mentored trailside too when I first started out.

And, karma too!

Talk less, Say More.

July 16, 2014, 12:53 p.m.

Tube, multi a hunk of chain and quick link. And before the ride I check the bike. If I hear anything and feel anything during a ride I check it out before the next ride. Many failures are from riders ignoring symptoms. How many times have you gone past someone who's bike is creaking loudly? Or ride someone else's bike and things are loose, grips move or even just set up badly. Part of being being prepared in the woods is being prepared before the woods. That includes routine checks and maintenance. I have only broken one chain in my 31 years of mountain biking. And that was my fault for not using a Shimano pin.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 16, 2014, 1:28 p.m.

i've always thought of this as a single question with a few different answers as there are so many different variables to consider:

- seriousness of the problem
- time to fix it
- distance/time to get back to the car/etc
- time of day
- weather conditions
- my own timing issues

i'll always ask if someone needs help, but based on the variables above i may not help or i may help even if i don't have the time to - ie i'd rather be late for work than leave someone stranded close to nightfall in shitty weather with a long walk back to the car.

the biggest question i have in terms of giving away tubes is how far into the ride am i and how many spares do i have? if you were 5min into an epic 1 hour descent would you be willing to give up your only tube with the possibility you might get stranded yourself later on? this is why i carry a patch kit instead - give away the pathces and keep the tube for myself.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 16, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

Tube, multi a hunk of chain and quick link. … I have only broken one chain in my 31 years of mountain biking. And that was my fault for not using a Shimano pin.

All those years and only one broken chain and you still carry a hunk of chain on every ride?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 16, 2014, 1:58 p.m.

I'll always offer help, unless I'm really in a big hurry (being home in time for the kids etc.). I can still pontificate about "coming prepared" while we fix their bike. Trail karma, and to me it's part of the "spirit" of riding, the brotherhood of riders, whatever. I remember 20 years ago (when riding was still a fringe, outlaw sport here) me and a buddy were fixing flats on a popular trail during peak riding time. Every rider stopped and asked if we needed help. Last year I was fixing a flat at the same place, more or less the same time of day. Most riders going by didn't even say hi. So, all I can do is set what I consider to be a good example. And yes, I've also had people drop by my house to give me back money for tubes I'd given them.

July 16, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

I ride frequently with 3 guys that refuse to carry anything. It is always them that break something, or need something and they look sheepishly at me or my other prepared friends " oh . ummmm .. do you have a tube ." or one time the chain was jammed in their guard had to use pliers to torque it out

Once one guy showed up with two flats!!!! in the parking lot needing two tubes and that was it I still think he owes to two guys 5 tubes each. Now, if he asks me for a tool, I charge him $5.

These are my riding buddies. Annoys me to no end.

Now, for a younger rider needing help I will stop and help for sure. I think the example shown is proper. It also allows for some mentoring on how to fix what ever is broke so that when it happens to them next time they understand a bit more.

I only know, since I was mentored trailside too when I first started out.

And, karma too!

I'll help anyone gladly, but repeat offenders? No thanks.

July 16, 2014, 11:09 p.m.

When I ride locally, I usually take nothing with me but my phone - and I don't ask or expect help if I get a flat or mechanical, accepting the long walk home as a possible consequence (which I've had to do occasionally.)

That being said, when I am riding with a pack, I'll always offer help to someone if they're at the side of the trail with an obvious problem. To not even bother asking is a jerk move and runs counter to the spirit of our sport.

July 17, 2014, 5:52 a.m.

On short rides I go minimalist(tube,pump,minitool), but on longer or bigger rides or shuttles, I go overboard with tools and parts (3 tubes,derailleur and a couple different hangars,chain links,bailing wire and duct tape,enough tools to rebuild a bike).

The look on your buddies face who has just wrecked his rear mech is priceless when you pull a spare out of your pack….

I could not imagine NOT stopping someone who needed help and could not help themselves.I think its kind of a responsibility for experienced or mechanically inclined riders to do so.

Ive also never been in such a rush that I couldnt or wouldnt stop to help someone,but thats a different problem altogether I suppose.

Pastor of Muppets

July 17, 2014, 7:35 a.m.

All those years and only one broken chain and you still carry a hunk of chain on every ride?

I have friends.

July 17, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

Ive also never been in such a rush that I couldnt or wouldnt stop to help someone,but thats a different problem altogether I suppose.

But, dude - that could affect your Strava time!

July 17, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

I have friends.

And they have friends, who have friends …

July 17, 2014, 10:20 a.m.

And they have friends, who have friends …

And I have been guiding a bit at Whistler. One night we had two broken chains and a pedal that came off a spindle. In one ride. For those rides I have a small first aid kit, bits of chain a 29 and 26 tube and some gels. Plus the mini tool and I wear my prescription riding glasses so I can actually see what I am doing to a chain. The other night one riders cassette came loose. I am not about to carry that tool though. I also have that Reverb collar thing in case my or other Reverbs fail.

On my ride last night my spokes were making noise. I will be putting them in the truing stand when I get home. Preventative. You read here sometimes about riders asking if it is safe to ride with a missing spoke and people reply that they have been riding weeks on wheels with missing spokes. That is just asking for a failure.

July 17, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

And I have been guiding a bit at Whistler. One night we had two broken chains and a pedal that came off a spindle. In one ride. For those rides I have a small first aid kit, bits of chain a 29 and 26 tube and some gels. Plus the mini tool and I wear my prescription riding glasses so I can actually see what I am doing to a chain. The other night one riders cassette came loose. I am not about to carry that tool though. I also have that Reverb collar thing in case my or other Reverbs fail.

Are the people you're guiding typically on their own bikes? Oh man the shit you must see.

On really big rides and heli drops I can definitely see the point of bringing lots of spare stuff. I've been on rides where one person carried a spare derailleur, another a full length bled brake, a full first aid kit. The Reverb collar would be a good addition for this type of ride.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.