carrying tools and spare parts

July 16, 2014, 9:45 a.m.

A recent trend suggests that riders are carrying less tools and spare parts on the trails. I admit that I carry some basic tools and spare parts but not as much as I use to. However, I fully understand the risk I take - if I suffer a mechanical on the trails and I don't have the necessary tools and parts to fix it, I will be walking back to my car and going home. One thing I refuse to do is ask a fellow rider for assistance on the trail and take away their riding time. My logic is that, it's a risk that I decided to take and the consequences should be mine to bear. Personally, I am all about assisting fellow riders who have the right tools and parts but aren’t as mechanically inclined or suffer multiple punctures etc. With life and work, I have very limited time to ride. I think I would have a difficult time lending my tools and waiting for someone that knowingly came out to the trails completely bare of any basic tools/parts.
That being said, I just want to hear some thoughts and opinions on this topic from other fellow riders.

July 16, 2014, 9:53 a.m.

when riding solo I carry…. Nothing… If I get a flat I will walk out…or ride on the rim because I am amazing.

When riding in a group we normally each have one component. One guy has the tube, one has a pump, one has a patch kit. Unless its my brother in law in which case we pawn everything off on him.

July 16, 2014, 10 a.m.

"Mechanicals" are often trivial (like a flat tire) and can be fixed with a tube or compact multi-tool. We have all run into bad luck and had problems that are unfixable trailside. Its the rider's call. When you plan your ride, you should keep this in mind along with common-sense things like whether you are riding alone, how long it will take you to traverse the terrain on foot from the furthest point to return point, who knows where you are, how much daylight you have budgeted etc. Having to walk the remaining distance (assuming no injury) to the car, or home or a pickup point (arranged by cellphone) or a bus is a First World problem and in the grand scheme of things is hardly an issue for a vast majority of people.

I honestly don't expect someone to give up their ride time to help me with my problem when I have a breakdown, but I'm happy to stop and check things out with a fellow rider (or anyone else) if I think I could be of some help.

Also, one would think that someone with 4+ billion posts already knows everything there is to know about getting mechanicals on the trail.

July 16, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

I always run a multi tool wrapped around my tube, which stays strapped on my seat-tube full time.

I also run a mini pump under my bottle cage. On longer rides, I'll throw in some chain links and a patch kit in my jersey pockets and I'm good to go.

I can fix almost any issue with this set-up, and it means I don't have to wear a pack if I don't want to. No walking out, more riding and less suck.

July 16, 2014, 10:16 a.m.

i like to pack light but i try to carry what i think i need. if i get caught short, i'll walk out or ask other riders for help - most are willing if they can. i have no problem with stopping to help riders who need it, whether that's because they under prepared or whatever. when i've been unable to stop, i've lent out parts or tools with instructions on how to get them back to me, and people have always come through.

it makes me feel good to help other riders :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 16, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

My apologies…I think I wasn't very clear with my inquiry. I guess what I'm more curious about is what your thoughts are on fellow riders who come out to the trails completely bare of tools and parts (different than missing few parts - you can't carry or be prepare for everything) and when they do suffer a mechanical, they ask a fellow rider riding by if we have tools/parts they can borrow.

Duncan, yes, with +4 billion posts, I do already know everything there is to know about getting mechanicals on the trail. ;)

July 16, 2014, 10:21 a.m.

No excuses (this my roadie kit, hence the CO2 for inflation to 130 psi - but the MTB one is just as compact)

July 16, 2014, 10:51 a.m.

My apologies…I think I wasn't very clear with my inquiry. I guess what I'm more curious about is what your thoughts are on fellow riders who come out to the trails completely bare of tools and parts (different than missing few parts - you can't carry or be prepare for everything) and when they do suffer a mechanical, they ask a fellow rider riding by if we have tools/parts they can borrow.

I tend to not help those riders. Though when someone is attempting to fix something I always offer to lend a hand. The freedom of riding without a pack comes with a measure of risk.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 16, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

I'll help anyone. You're not teaching them a lesson by being passive aggressive, only that you might be a prick. Its a small thing in your lifetime, may as well be nice to someone. It will make you and the other person happy.

July 16, 2014, 11:30 a.m.

I'll help anyone. You're not teaching them a lesson by being passive aggressive, only that you might be a prick. Its a small thing in your lifetime, may as well be nice to someone. It will make you and the other person happy.

I totally agree. You are correct. And it is passive aggressive to do that.

Last time I helped out an unequipped stranger was some kid at the end of CBC who had a flat. I pulled out my tools, got the wheel out of his brand new $5000 DH bike, got the tire off the rim, replaced it with my spare tube which he didn't have money to pay me for, got it inflated and re-installed and got him back on the trail.
I asked him how he expected to resolve this himself? He shrugged.
I asked him how he got up there at all? His mom.

If I was new to riding I would have appreciated the help. I know I've had plenty along the way. I bet that kid learned a lesson about self-sufficiency.

Hmmm maybe I'm changing my position.

July 16, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

i always carry a multi tool, pump, a 3 way hex and tube. i have the zee cage now on my new bike so it is easier. I could see more intigrated types of set ups in the future.
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb/bottlescages/cages/zee-cage-ii-right-with-tool
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/technology/swat
I help any one who accepts my offer. I have had times when i have given my last tube to people who i was convinced i would never see again, only to find three tubes on windshield at the trail head. Money, even beer. My ride time is limited too, but i could not pass by any one on the trail with out offering to lend a hand. If that is not every ones stance i am a bit disappointed.

WTF, Over?

July 16, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

If I was new to riding I would have appreciated the help. I know I've had plenty along the way. I bet that kid learned a lesson about self-sufficiency.

Hmmm maybe I'm changing my position.

I was gonna say … "You may be setting him up to fail the next time this happens, in possibly more dire circumstances" (and it will happen again). I'd help someone far away from the nearest help, someone who is in distress, someone with a serious problem but probably not someone with a flat on the Old Buck. Besides, if everybody rode without kit, there would be nobody to stop to help with tools or parts in the first place. You reap what you sow.

July 16, 2014, 12:01 p.m.

Ya sorry, if you go out without tools, under the assumption that you might have to walk out, then to me, the honorable thing to do would be to walk out. You made your bed, now lie in it.

How does the fact that do, or don't, run into other people who may be able to help, change the fact that you were too lazy to be self-sufficient?

July 16, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

I was gonna say … "You may be setting him up to fail the next time this happens, in possibly more dire circumstances" (and it will happen again).

Well therein lies the rub.

Do you leave him to learn a lesson by walking out? Someone could come along 5 minutes later, give the requested help and thus show what an asshole you were. Kid still learns nothing. He could just call his mom and still not learn anything.

Or do you help him out and hope he learns his lesson?

July 16, 2014, 12:10 p.m.

It's not my place to try to teach others lessons one way or the other. I have no interest in following that line of reasoning.
Someone needs help? I offer it. Period.