Cargo Bags for Road Bikes

March 28, 2020, 7:35 a.m.

I have a road bike without pannier mounts. I’d like to get a bag or two for it. Ideally a dry bag. If I was to only get one bag; should I go with a bar bag or a saddle bag? 

What are others using for bags?

Bro, Brah, Bruh

March 28, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

I've been eyeing up the roadrunner frame bags for a while but they're expensive.  

I have a Blackburn wayside handlebar bag on my cross / commuter bike and I like it. My only complaint is it can get a little saggy but otherwise fine. 

If I could only have one bag it would definitely be a frame bag.

March 28, 2020, 12:13 p.m.

Depends on what you want to put in the bag.

I agree with Thaad though- frame bag for stability, weigh distribution and not having to swing your leg high over a seatbag.

March 28, 2020, 12:18 p.m.

We just finished 500 km bikepacking trip with our Giant Reigns.  No pannier, but a lot of weight on handlebar, seat and back. 

The heavy handlebar really affects steering and responsiveness.  The fully loaded seat bag took a while getting used to swinging a leg over, and was also a “pack it only once per day” due to the need to pack it tight to make it hold its shape.   I wished we had frame bags, but, Reign.

March 28, 2020, 2:56 p.m.

This is the bar bag I have. I've never used it with the shoulder strap as it is in some of the pics.

https://www.amazon.ca/Blackburn-Rovers-F-C-BLBWAYHB-Handlebar/dp/B01434SFQE

This is the Roadrunner bag I've been looking at.

https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/bike-packing-bags/products/mountain-bike-wedge-full-frame-bag

March 29, 2020, 6:07 a.m.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/tailfin-aeropack-review/

March 30, 2020, 5:37 p.m.

I'm only posting this because i like doing my own things, and also there is a pandemic and people have a little more time than usual:

If you get a heavy duty sewing machine, some ripstop, velcro, a bit of webbing/clips, and some heavy duty nylon, you can have all the frame bags and handlebar bags you want. 

It took me 2 ugly bags to figure it out, and while all the stuff I whip up isn't perfect its definitely good enough now. 

Easy projects:

Tool roll

Frame bag

Enduro strap with integrated storage pockets

Handlebar bag (really more of a sleeve that carries a dry bag)

Jacket/tent repairs

There are good how to guides on the internet. And then your kids get rad Halloween costumes too.

April 29, 2020, 11:41 a.m.

Hi Mrbrett, I just bought a nice all-metal Brother sewing machine, with the plan of making custom bikepacking gear. I've got a plan for a tailfin style bag that will mount on a standard rear rack. So my question is where to buy cordura, x-pac, or other nearly waterproof fabrics? Ideally in Metro Van, or mailorder from Canada? Struggling to find this material.

Thanks

I'm a gearbox-bike nut.

May 20, 2020, 9:11 a.m.

Posted by: EVRAC

Struggling to find this material.

Sorry for the slow reply.

It's not as easy in Canada as in the US to find materials. Fabricland for light weight ripstop, MEC for webbing and buckles. Not sure about better quality stuff like real Cordura or X-pac, but you may try a garment repair shop that fixes jackets to see if they will sell you a few m.

I actually bought a BBQ cover on sale for cheap (intended for a super jumbo BBQ) that I used for a bunch of heavy duty tough nylon, that's urethane backed. It's as waterproof as anything, and I ended up putting a grommet in that bag under a flap as a drain - it was a kinda weather resistant commuting bag, so some water did accumulate in a hard rain. Also got some closed cell foam from packing materials that came around some equipment at work, to sew into parts of bags and supports. Like 1/8" thick stuff.

This hobby has basically turned me into a materials hoarder. I feel like I'm Minecrafting bags.

Last edited by: mrbrett on May 20, 2020, 9:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2020, 9:24 a.m.

I sewed a barbag using the material from a broken wheel shopping trolley.  Reuse, recycle. 

Old backpacks have lots of plastic clips and webbing to reuse. 

Velcro “clamp over the bar“ straps got cut from a neoprene/velcro chainstay protector.  Very easy - just cut and use!

We also made 2 bar mount systems for tent and thermarests from a $15 Ikea deskmat.

May 20, 2020, 12:15 p.m.

Posted by: EVRAC

So my question is where to buy cordura, x-pac, or other nearly waterproof fabrics? Ideally in Metro Van, or mailorder from Canada? Struggling to find this material.

Try AmFab in East Van, or PacCana in Calgary.